IGNORED

Evian Christ signs to Warp

funkaholic

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it almost offends me how many aspects of this track have appropriated elements from different eras of experimental and dark music into a pastiche of bland 'urban' sounding shittery

- vaguely middle eastern sounding vocals with pitch shifting

- serviceable 'dark' sound design bed a couple steps below the already stretched thin aesthetic of Demdike Stare and Raime

- urban white kid vibes

- ultra heavy low end ✓

- processed obligatory trap sampled 808 hits as not to scare off the urban kids too much into thinking this is artsy music

bah, i want a drink, it's my day off, but i'll be good.

how about some evian molly water delet...

you know i've never had molly, probably would cure my taste for alcohol and replace it with a rare cambodian rainforest tree extinction plan.

it almost offends me how many aspects of this track have appropriated elements from different eras of experimental and dark music into a pastiche of bland 'urban' sounding shittery

- serviceable 'dark' sound design bed a couple steps below the already stretched thin aesthetic of Demdike Stare and Raime

- urban white kid vibes

- ultra heavy low end ✓

- processed obligatory trap sampled 808 hits as not to scare off the urban kids too much into thinking this is artsy music

lol a pastiche of bland 'urban' sounding shittery ... got a chuckle out of me.

- urban white kid vibes

- ultra heavy low end ✓

yeah fuck this shit, gimme some friggin chief keef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpNc3NJKsDY

i was not in a good mood when i first read the thread, he's probably a nice guy and his music is perfectly fine, but i am surprised Warp couldn't find a little bit more of a wild sound in the same overall genre

i was not in a good mood when i first read the thread, he's probably a nice guy and his music is perfectly fine, but i am surprised Warp couldn't find a little bit more of a wild sound in the same overall genre

Yeah even as someone who likes this stuff and can ignore and/or not notice all the shortcomings that stand out to more expert ears Evian Christ has been a bit of a mystery to me in the sense of acclaim and attention. His output is fairly sparse and not that diverse imo.

I find his Tri Angle roster mates Fis, Sd laika and especially Vessel, Forest Swords and Balam Acab a lot more worthwhile. There are producers elsewhere like Wanda Group, lotide, or even Thug Entrancer who I think would be more promising signings.

That said, none of those guys signed with G.O.O.D. music/got the attention of Kanye. It's an absurd factor but that's probably why Warp signed him.

808 trappy shit is some of the worst, uninspired, generic, creatively bankrupt "music" that exists. Anyone with a pirated copy of Ableton can make this shit in 20 minutes. It was boring in the mid 2000s when it was just the soundtrack to shitty fake cough syrup guzzling pretend gangsters' non-flows and un-rhymes, but the 2010s incarnation of this style is a whole new level of uninteresting awfulness for upper middle class white kids in neon caps with matching Nikes. The fact that this is a direction Warp records has taken is nothing short of a tragedy.

I find his Tri Angle roster mates Fis, Sd laika and especially Vessel, Forest Swords and Balam Acab a lot more worthwhile. There are producers elsewhere like Wanda Group, lotide, or even Thug Entrancer who I think would be more promising signings.

FIS is making some of the freshest experimental electronic music around right now. He would be right at home on Warp if they still cared about that kind of stuff & weren't trying to release club beats for 19 years olds.

808 trappy shit is some of the worst, uninspired, generic, creatively bankrupt "music" that exists. Anyone with a pirated copy of Ableton can make this shit in 20 minutes. It was boring in the mid 2000s when it was just the soundtrack to shitty fake cough syrup guzzling pretend gangsters' non-flows and un-rhymes, but the 2010s incarnation of this style is a whole new level of uninteresting awfulness for upper middle class white kids in neon caps with matching Nikes. The fact that this is a direction Warp records has taken is nothing short of a tragedy.

spot on

Although, I would totally understand if releasing this garbage is a business decision and not an artistic endorsement. Like maybe in order to be able to pay for an Aphex blimp they have to put out lowest-common-denominator shit for 3 years.

Guest Barung

this is just a shitty pretentious take on chopped n screwed/trap music for cool hipster kids and idm is the only music that my elitist intelligent patrician mind is open to

this is just a shitty pretentious take on chopped n screwed/trap music for cool hipster kids and idm is the only music that my elitist intelligent patrician mind is open to

sod off with that "you lot would love this if only you weren't so close-minded and elitist" malarky

sod off with that "you lot would love this if only you weren't so close-minded and elitist" malarky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fsAx41NDdo

Guest Barung

wow

u better read the rules

before you get banned

oddly Arca and this new Warp signing just got into a twitter debate about why electronic musicians don't criticize the Red Bull Music Academy. Pretty fascinating that no one has really had a public discussion like this (at least not that i've seen). I know a lot of people talk about it privately and there are already 'camps' within electronic music producing scenes of people who knee jerk defend it.

Don't know if this has been said yet, but they signed the wrong Christ. "Cathexis" was excellent, and belongs with some of the best Warp stuff released in recent years, imho.

Don't know if this has been said yet, but they signed the wrong Christ. "Cathexis" was excellent, and belongs with some of the best Warp stuff released in recent years, imho.

elitist

I know it. We're all so close-minded here, liking good shit and all. Pfuh.

To be fair, Warp did sign a few good artists in recent years: OPN and Bibio come to mind. But on the other hand, they let Seefeel go and they signed Future (ugh...) Brown, so there's that.

By the way, OPN's work from the NIN tour was pretty cool. I was disappointed that it didn't make an appearance on "Commissions II". Here's to hoping it comes out on a new album or something.

oddly Arca and this new Warp signing just got into a twitter debate about why electronic musicians don't criticize the Red Bull Music Academy. Pretty fascinating that no one has really had a public discussion like this (at least not that i've seen). I know a lot of people talk about it privately and there are already 'camps' within electronic music producing scenes of people who knee jerk defend it.

Let’s have a public discussion now! Personally I think it’s pretty lame to see RED BULL plastered all over otherwise great interviews and videos, but it doesn’t make me want to buy Red Bull at all. And as for the artists, I assume they do it because it’s better than like, McDonald’s or Law & Order: SVU or something (“cred”-wise), and in a larger overall sense it’s basically impossible to be a professional independent musician nowadays and make actual money, so turning down any cash or opportunity at all probably feels completely irrational and insane.

I was never Totally Pro Tude but I made a lot of tracks in my time and it never involved bleeding, sweating, or (much) crying. It was basically a blast every day, actually. Kowtowing to shitty lifestyle brands like Red Bull would probably make my eyes shoot blood though.

Wow, the video embed on this page is pretty bad. I usually rate Tri Angle, but this isn’t for me, I guess. And I own and enjoy an Evol Intent CD.

Warp has been making real shit decisions with who they've been signing lately. You really can't deny it, the change of direction in the type of music they sign lately is terrible. Definitely don't expect every Warp release to be amazing and innovative but stuff like this? Come on Warp.

(all imo of course lol)

I didn't mind some of the first EP but it wasn't anything exceptional and I got over it pretty quickly. Waterfall was absolute shit though... I'm really surprised he's signed to Warp considering his Triangle output is fairly medicore and he;s not even a highlight of that label. However, the Duga-3 project he did was pretty damn cool and unlike the rest of the stuff he had on Triangle, if he's dropping the broken UK Garage sound and trappy bullshit and going more for this experimental/ambient stuff it could be interesting to see his future output.

Archived