IGNORED

Yes, androids do dream of electric sheep

zlemflolia

this all makes me wonder: when the neural network is running, does it possess some degree of consciousness? the functionalist in me would say, yes, it's possible. i think it depends on the structure of the neural network they're using... which based on some of their acquisitions, could be very advanced: http://www.technologyreview.com/view/532156/googles-secretive-deepmind-startup-unveils-a-neural-turing-machine/

I don't think a single neural network by itself is anywhere near complicated enough for consciousness to emerge. Wire up hundreds of them into one interacting feedback loop and you might have something.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well the second link seems a bit better described how to install it - over the next couple of says i'll give it a go. not sure how computer savvy you have to be to use it

Can we apply this concept to music? Is it possible to look for melodic/rhythmic elements in noise, and have a network try to exaggerate them?

that would seriously blow my mind

fake edit: and it would probably sound like autechre, zole

Finding whispering voices in the sounds of rain, wind and breaking waves would be ultra-trippy and/or creepy.

the only thing seemingly holding the software back in its existing form is a lack of images in the database in which it pulls from.

a sound version of the same thing would be ridiculously amazing, but i don't think spectral processing in general is at the same level as this. Meaning that it wouldn't sound as 'flawless' as this looks with existing algorithms. It could probably be done with some combination of kyma and code but it would still have a lot of artifacts that something like this (done with photos) wouldn't have.

i'm excited to see a high frame rate high resolution version of this exact same algorithm pulling from the entirety of google images done in fast flicker/scramble suit style from scanner darkly. honestly i could see that getting pretty close to what DMT looks like. The images/symbolism would have to be flashing so fast you wouldn't be able to pick it up.

yes, fuck yes.

i agree with lala - someone make a GUI version real soon pls, cus 99% of people are not python coders.

as for the eyes on DMT thing, why not? makes more sense than reptiles and machine elves right?

also check this, so far not great news for non programmers

https://www.reddit.com/r/deepdream/comments/3bvxgl/deepdream_for_nonprogrammers/

Watmm. Please make this happen. someone must be able to do something. im salivating at the arty potential

and eyes. like fucking everywhere. like god went and dun' texture-mapped the whole planet in golden unblinking eyes. it was amazing

oh. apparently the creatures are puppyslugs. awww

Dibs on 'puppyslugs' artist name pls

ok puppyslugs.

@Gocab. i need this in my life so much.. I want to see hi-res 16k print

ive got hundreds of my deep sea creature crab things i want to input and make a world of them for everyone to enjoy

First to turn this into a website will have mad monetization potential...

One thing that is pretty amazing about some of these generated images is the pearly cosmic iridescence, which is a beautiful quality of trippin'.

What "sucks" about this tech, is that it opens the potential for a lot of artists to just generate images and use them for painting references. Psychedelic and cosmic art was once only accomplished by those who've gone deep into consciousness, traveled forever on psychedelics, and had the inherent ability to translate such visual and emotional phenomena into 2-d form. In that sense- as all the best artists- they were a medium between worlds.

It's always been apparent to me, those wannabe trippy artists, whose works represent mere mimicry of psychedelic imagery, with no firm grasp or even any experience in cosmic surfing.

So I'm totally pre-cringing at the idea of the future wave of highly technical Google-tech assisted paintings, by wanker wannabe mofoz who've never had an awe-inspiring experience; tripping or not.

On the upside, I'm naked, and my octagon is ready.

Archived