IGNORED

Roland Finally Made an Analog Poly

LimpyLoo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

Damn ugly. Not sure I like the interface. But i'll have a go on one in a shop before I start talking shit or hyping.

Damn though, it's like Tron roadkill.

damn $3k can buy you already polysynths that are probably much cooler. weird they wouldn't try to go down to Dave Smith level pricing, $2500 *maybe* but $2000 would actually seem reasonable

oh wait thats australian dollars, lol nevermind price not that over the top actually. In fact its pretty much exactly where a synth of its kind should be priced according to what else is on the market.

roland is pricing their stuff reasonably enough especially when you compare this to the new yamaha refaces

Yeah we get fucked in the ass in terms of musical instrument pricing. I don't think I could justify spending that much on a synth tbh.. maybe if I didn't work in publishing I could afford it, but still..

Guest cult fiction

It's so ugly it loops around to looking cool imo

That said I'm not sure about the sound, does the world need more DCO hybrids? hasn't DSI beaten this horse enough?

It's so ugly it loops around to looking cool imo

That said I'm not sure about the sound, does the world need more DCO hybrids? hasn't DSI beaten this horse enough?

what's it matter what it is as long as it has depth and decent sound? i like synths that have more tings to experiment with

What are you guys finding so ugly about it? I think it's pretty slick looking myself.... :sad:

not enough wood panels

edit: I think the red sides look pretty nice. The lighting is alright but would be really useful (and really, not very difficult to implement) if the actual text lit up.

Bravo Roland. I like the interface, I'd like the LED's to be blue personally.

Sounds huge and unique. I'd love to play around with one.

@ 2200$ USD it's not priced terribly for what you get. 16 track sequencer, vocoder w/microphone in for regular singing.

I suppose. I guess it's considered more of a workstation than simply a synth. The smaller JD-XI seems to be a good compromise, and it's about a fifth of the price.

Guest bitroast

What are you guys finding so ugly about it? I think it's pretty slick looking myself.... :sad:

i've always found the new roland products to be gross. the black ones with green lighting everywhere. i can't explain what it is about it i dislike it just looks so gross and tacky. one thing i like is that it would be well suited to jamming shit out in the dark, with lighting everywhere guiding you to the knobs and sliders so i do like that. and maybe it's the kind of thing that looks better in real life in an actual studio setting than just looking at pictures.. but still.. personally, they look gross.

still though. if i was to purchase one of these things (which i dont think is going to happen, none of the new roland things really appeal to me but i don't think theyre bad products by any means. the 909 drum machine seems to be getting a good amount of mileage with muisc makers out there and the interface seems excellent there so you know. i think the roland stuff is pretty good! just not for me )

but~!!... if i were to own any of the new roland synths, i would probably resort to having a blanket nearby that i could throw over it when im not using it so i don't have to look at it all the time because GROSS what an ugly design.

its so you have to have a small roland corner of green. its a special colour designed by the roland corp to suck you in to the gotta catch em all mentality. pokemon synths

(i dont know how they sound im just joking)

Pro-2 can be had for $1700

Prophet 6 - $2000-$2200

It pretty much fits the market for a Analog/Digital polyphonic synth with that many options, a full keyboard and external sequencing applications. I thought I'd have gear-regret after buying the pro-2, but it's the synth I spend the most time on and its ease of use, sound, and features more than make up for its cost. I'm in the Cheap Gear (especially modern cheap gear) = Short Thrills boat when it comes to my synths now. \

One thing- I work in pretty low light most of the time and that shit would get annoying if there is no ability to dim the LED's.

Pro-2 can be had for $1700

Prophet 6 - $2000-$2200

It pretty much fits the market for a Analog/Digital polyphonic synth with that many options, a full keyboard and external sequencing applications. I thought I'd have gear-regret after buying the pro-2, but it's the synth I spend the most time on and its ease of use, sound, and features more than make up for its cost. I'm in the Cheap Gear (especially modern cheap gear) = Short Thrills boat when it comes to my synths now. \

One thing- I work in pretty low light most of the time and that shit would get annoying if there is no ability to dim the LED's.

not to mention, once you're getting up in the $2-2.5K you can start thinking about CS-60/70 and hell for another G you can grab a "worn-in" Jupiter 4.

(really, if you have have $2.5K to spend on synths then scraping together another G probably isn't an issue for you)

In Japan this is being released with a limited edition bag of Doritos, so you can get it all nice and shiny with the Jordan Rudess signature nacho cheese flavor.

Archived