IGNORED

Deafheaven - New Bermuda

doublename

bknYGfel.jpg

Deafheaven will release their next album, entitled New Bermuda worldwide on October 2, 2015 via ANTI- Records.

George Clarke (vocals), Kerry McCoy (guitar), Dan Tracy (drums), Stephen Lee Clark (bass), and Shiv Mehra (guitar) recorded New Bermuda live to tape at 25th Street Recording in Oakland, CA and Atomic Garden Recording in East Palo Alto, CA in April 2015. It was produced, engineered, mixed, and mastered by Jack Shirley who has worked with the band on their previous releases. Clarke says that he came up with the idea of “New Bermuda” to describe a new destination in life, a nebulous point of arrival, and an unknown future where things get swallowed up and dragged into darkness. The album artwork for New Bermuda is an oil painting, dense in brush strokes of darker tones and deep blues, by Allison Schulnik. The layout was art directed by Nick Steinhardt who also designed the packaging for their last release, Sunbather.

Formed in 2010 in San Francisco, California, the band has released two studio albums on Deathwish; Roads to Judah in 2011 and their lauded Sunbather in 2013. Sunbather received accolades from NPR on their Favorite Albums of 2013 list, a coveted Best New Music at Pitchfork, the Best Metal Album of 2013 per Rolling Stone, a 9/10 star review from Decibel Magazine, and it was the highest rated album of 2013 according to Metacritic. Deafheaven have spent the last two years touring extensively nationally and around the world with shows in Australia, Japan, Asia, Europe, Russia, the UK, and Canada with festival appearances at Pitchfork, Bonnaroo, Primavera, Roskilde, Fun Fun Fun, FYF Fest, SXSW, Corona Capital, ATP Iceland, amongst others.

Details on a forthcoming North American tour are soon to be announced.

I picked up the pink 2LP in mint+ condition for almost nothing recently, tbh I hardly played it as I'm a bit burnt out on this stuff. As far as I remember it was OK but it couldn't keep my interest (read: it was kind of boring, sonically), I found the production a bit tiring too.

Not sure if I need another similar album, I hope they make something unique.

https://soundcloud.com/antirecords/deafheaven-brought-to-the-water/s-gK2OO

hoooly fuck dude...

edit: wtf was that outro lol, it just abruptly fades in. completely throws off the song. i liked the rest of it though

actually started listening to the song in your signature thinking it was their new and thought to myself "woah, quite a departure". those bass tones made me tear though.

Definitely not Sunbather 2, I quite liked that track even if it's a bit more traditional than Sunbather. AWFUL ending though, fade outs hardly ever are a good choice but in this track it feels like a bad transition on a mix, like they're cutting off in the middle on the song, and the piano outro doesn't fit at all

'm a bit burnt out on this stuff. As far as I remember it was OK but it couldn't keep my interest (read: it was kind of boring, sonically), I found the production a bit tiring too.

Not sure if I need another similar album, I hope they make something unique.

Yeah I got the hype and all but I'm kind of in the same boat. I saw them live and it was a bit of a letdown. Not bad, just I dunno, I think the novelty had worn off in the last 2 years

I'm still going to check this out though, Brought to the Water sounds promising...except that outro, which sounds like some high school age band trying to ape the ending of "Epic" and mixing it lazily in garageband or some shit

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure now, Deafheaven isn't my cup of tea. Tried to give the piss yellow Sunbather record another spin recently too but I couldn't even finish it. /slowly backs out of thread

I don't mind Deafheaven haven't heard the new stuff yet, but there's other blackgaze bands that do the sound much better.. i.e. Amesoeurs & Alcest

I'm sure now, Deafheaven isn't my cup of tea. Tried to give the piss yellow Sunbather record another spin recently too but I couldn't even finish it. /slowly backs out of thread

I don't mind Deafheaven haven't heard the new stuff yet, but there's other blackgaze bands that do the sound much better.. i.e. Amesoeurs & Alcest

• 3 weeks later...

Tiny Mixtapes Review

• 5 months later...

Still enjoying the shit out of this might see em when they come to Syd in a couple of months though as it's at the Sydney Opera house I'm assuming it'll be a seated concert lol!

Archived