IGNORED

The 7th Plain - Chronicles 1

BUNKUM

New (old) release comprised of 3 tracks from his 1994 albums and 5 previously unreleased, possibly from Playing With Fools. I am a massive fan of Luke Slater's releases under this alias, easily as good as Black Dog, B12 etc IMO. I would have preferred a rerelease/remaster of the 2 existing albums with extra tracks or finally releasing Playing With Fools, but there you go.

Available from the usual places...  Bleap, Boomkat, yada yada.

Boomkat Product Review:

Luke Slater’s romantic ‘90s ambient project, The 7th Plain, is subject of a prime remaster and reissue/compilation job to kick off Ostgut Ton’s A-Ton label in style, including a number of exclusive, previously unheard tracks.

For almost any electronica fan who cam thru in the ‘90s, Slater’s two 1994 releases, My Yellow Wise Rug and The 4 Cornered Room were pretty much staples of the after-hours diet (along with ounces of hash, strong booze and patchouli), so it would’t be right to do a retrospective without at least a few of their nostalgic classics. 

They’re well represented in the Tangerine Dream-styled epic, Boundaries and likewise with the diaphanous lushness of Grace and Surface Bound, which should all bring the dopamine flooding back to older heads. But even the most obsessive Slater fan will be fresh to the rest of the set, which draws on previously unreleased, archival material, including strong highlights in the stellar Ken Ishii remix of Extra and the Global Communication-esque flights The Super 8 and Chords are Dirty, with a fidgety Detroit techno ace to boot in T Funk States.

I've had a CD copy of My Yellow Wise Rug (which, annoyingly, I can't currently find anywhere and consequently can't stick it on my Sonos and other devices) since its original release on GPR. Oddly, I only remember it from back when I was a student as being quite good, and had kind of written it off since.

I see now, having been reminded of it by this new release, that this was a foolish thing to have done. This stuff is just blissful. Someone on Discogs describes some of it as being like Global Communication meets Kenny Larkin, which actually sums it up rather well. Can't wait for my vinyl copy to arrive.

Maybe we will see the re-release of those two albums if Ostgut Ton can license them. I really hope so, but if this series of Chronicles ends up covering the, completely I'll still be happy.

Edited by Jamesqdot

His My Yellow Wise Rug and The 4 Cornered Room albums are real classics, as good as anything, I always wished he kept on doing the ambient techno stuff instead of going with the more straight up techno he carried on with. Will check this out.

His My Yellow Wise Rug and The 4 Cornered Room albums are real classics, as good as anything, I always wished he kept on doing the ambient techno stuff instead of going with the more straight up techno he carried on with. Will check this out.

I completely agree, I've tried some of his other aliases and always found it too harsh and monotonous for home listening. Apart from the limited Morganistic stuff I've heard...

Does the 'I' mean more volumes are coming from The 7th Plain or will they be different artists? I already have a lot of 7th Plain stuff and this release isn't exactly a huge collection.

The 'Freek Funk' album he did under his real name also makes for excellent home listening IMO.

From Luke Slater's Facebook...

A huge thank you to Luke Slater for offering us access to the wonderful stores of The 7th Plain and allowing us to share this music with you. Chronicles I is the first part of a series of double LPs that will revisit early 90's previously released and never released 7th Plain material of which Luke says in his own words: “The 7th Plain had its core in melancholy, hope, and surrealism and beauty, a kind of true faith from my opened third eye...“. "The 7th Plain - Chronicles II will follow early next year"

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Completely agree with this statement!! Really dig Luke Slater's 7th Plain stuff. Time Melts is one of my favourite tunes!!! GPR did release some good stuff back in the day!!!

this one is so great

Luke is the cream of the early 90s ambient techno crop.

Totally!!

chronicles II and III incoming, along with a boxset option thing:

http://ostgut.de/label/record/232

Super pumped about this. Already preordered the cds.

no super boxset?

Honestly trying to cut down on my vinyl. Cds also sound quite nice in my car where I spend most of my listening time.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, species8472 said:

new 17 min luke slater remix in 7th plain style - really really excellent.

Amazing find, thank you. Now, if only someone leaked a decent rip of Playing With Fools... Slater's not going to release it, ever. I'd like to at least hear it.

Edited by dcom