Really enjoyed both episodes. A really interesting concept from Crichton, should be able to really get into how technology affects human personality growth and exploration.

I too, am a little confused by the end game of the Man in Black (Ed Harris). What could be at the center of the maze? The Control center? Does he expect to be able to walk in and take it by force? Will he have become so delusional with power over the machines that he thinks himself invulnerable? I mean the little girl pretty much straight up told him not to go there.

Also wonder if this is where William Gibson got the idea for his meat puppets in the Neuromancer universe.

Really enjoyed both episodes. A really interesting concept from Crichton, should be able to really get into how technology affects human personality growth and exploration.

I too, am a little confused by the end game of the Man in Black (Ed Harris). What could be at the center of the maze? The Control center? Does he expect to be able to walk in and take it by force? Will he have become so delusional with power over the machines that he thinks himself invulnerable? I mean the little girl pretty much straight up told him not to go there.

Also wonder if this is where William Gibson got the idea for his meat puppets in the Neuromancer universe.

Either way, you're nowhere near finding out those answers. This series will most likely run for five or six years.

Either way, you're nowhere near finding out those answers. This series will most likely run for five or six years.

Does that particular story line seem like it has that much depth to it? I don't think so - at least not at the pace they've been advancing it.

I hope I'm proven wrong and it becomes something substantial - I haven't seen the original film, so don't know if it was covered in there.

Does that particular story line seem like it has that much depth to it? I don't think so - at least not at the pace they've been advancing it.

I hope I'm proven wrong and it becomes something substantial - I haven't seen the original film, so don't know if it was covered in there.

It wasn't. I've watched the original movie many times. 

The TV show has already moved substantially away from the themes, atmosphere and plot of the 70s movie.

The original film has three distinct worlds within Delos. 

I keep getting hung up on the absolute logistical nightmare that this place would invoke, all the security contingencies, etc.. what kind of bullets do the androids shoot that break glass but can't even scratch a person's clothes? those types of questions pop up throughout each episode and distract from the suspension of disbelief. Still, some interesting plot lines so far that warrant further watching.

The TV show has already moved substantially away from the themes, atmosphere and plot of the 70s movie.

Probably saving the other worlds for potential future seasons...

Probably saving the other worlds for potential future seasons...

Yeah the season 1 finale will be the big reveal that there are other themed worlds. That's my guess anyway.

I keep getting hung up on the absolute logistical nightmare that this place would invoke, all the security contingencies, etc.. what kind of bullets do the androids shoot that break glass but can't even scratch a person's clothes? those types of questions pop up throughout each episode and distract from the suspension of disbelief. Still, some interesting plot lines so far that warrant further watching.

From the wiki on the film :

The firearms issued to the park guests have temperature sensors that prevent them from shooting humans or anything with a high body temperature but allow them to 'kill' the cold-blooded androids.

Fumi: so would you say it's safe to watch the film and not expect spoilers for the show? Film looks like it would be a good watch.

From the wiki on the film :

The firearms issued to the park guests have temperature sensors that prevent them from shooting humans or anything with a high body temperature but allow them to 'kill' the cold-blooded androids.

Fumi: so would you say it's safe to watch the film and not expect spoilers for the show? Film looks like it would be a good watch.

Definitely. It's a great film in its own right. It wouldn't spoil anything.

the film is lol but also boring and not that great. It probably doesn't spoil anything that's going to happen in the TV show, it's basically just guy-runs-away-from-malfunctioning-cowboy-robots.

re: gun safety - the temperature thing doesn't make a lot of sense, otherwise the prostitutes or any physical interpersonal contact with the hosts would be really awkward innit.

Anyway for the TV show wasn't there some disclaimer somewhere where they said the safety is related to bullet velocity..? So the bullet comes out more slowly...? I dunno it doesn't make any sense. If they try to explain these things in too much detail there's going to be a lot of logical little cracks all over the place... by these issues are triggering me.

Edited by Guest

the film is lol but also boring and not that great. It probably doesn't spoil anything that's going to happen in the TV show, it's basically just guy-runs-away-from-malfunctioning-cowboy-robots.

That's harsh. Sure in the modern age when everything is CGI and so forth, it looks very dated but it's a great example of 70s movie-making. I always enjoyed it. I can think of a hundred lol movies over this one. The 70s Westworld has some great moments in it.

It's also a good insight into how film-makers viewed AI during the 1970s.

Edited by fumi

yeah it isn't *terrible*, but it's also not exactly a cinematic masterpiece. Script is really, really shallow, there's cheap acting... dunno.

From today's POV it's also radically sexist.

Loved the computer visualizations they had going when the scientists were trying to analyze what was wrong with the hosts.

Also it is a sort of prototype for The Terminator which makes me lol imagining both movies next to each other...

re: gun safety - the temperature thing doesn't make a lot of sense, otherwise the prostitutes or any physical interpersonal contact with the hosts would be really awkward innit.

Anyway for the TV show wasn't there some disclaimer somewhere where they said the safety is related to bullet velocity..? So the bullet comes out more slowly...? I dunno it doesn't make any sense. If they try to explain these things in too much detail there's going to be a lot of logical little cracks all over the place... by these issues are triggering me.

I generally just don't bother with this sort of stuff - doesn't detract really at all. I would have though a more likely solution was whether or not there was a CPU in there.

The most interesting things for me about the show are stuff like that photograph that made one robot malfunction. Ford told Barnard that it is just the reveries accessing previous builds - in this case, 'the professor' from a horror narrative called 'The Dinner Party' where he played an occultist out in the desert resorting to cannibalism. WTF!

And like how Ford in the first episode is drinking with the second robot they ever made. "Shall we drink to the lady in the white shoes."

I wonder what the first model was?

Edited by fumi

The most interesting things for me about the show are stuff like that photograph that made one robot malfunction. Ford told Barnard that it is just the reveries accessing previous builds - in this case, 'the professor' from a horror narrative called 'The Dinner Party' where he played an occultist out in the desert resorting to cannibalism. WTF!

And like how Ford in the first episode is drinking with the second robot they ever made. "Shall we drink to the lady in the white shoes."

I wonder what the first model was?

Maybe the lady in the white shoes?

yeah so far it's okay. i've not really been current on a big tv series that everyone's watching at the same time before. seems like it's gonna move really slow asking more questions every week than it answers. liked woods's's's delivery in 0 emotion mode.

man in black stuff so far seems really silly

yea quite...

dunno I find it really difficult with this show to let myself go with the suspension of disbelief... there's just so many "???? really?" moments with regards to how things are set up, like in the last episode how the programmer and the security guy take a walk to search for the stray robot.. so many things are delivered really heavy-handedly, tons of awkward exposition dialogue... just dunno, but it's still fun to watch of course. but not sure if I want to keep watching if they thin out the plot too much, which they likely will... one can literally feel the unnecessary sidequests sneaking up...

yeh.. she seemed to be a really important player, but this ep she delivered like 3 token lines... 

the show kind of reminds me a lot of Hideo Kojima narrative somehow, like the hosts are a lot like Metal Gear Solid NPCs i.e. they get killed a lot, I'm basically waiting for a boss fight all the time,

was laughing a lot at the completely out of nowhere level of swearing that one girl who is testing the robots uses. it was like a bad hentai dub, fuck every other word.

you're in for a treat @ ep3, that galileo bit was like biting into a lemon.