IGNORED

This song/video literally makes nauseous with fear... wtf?

Lane Visitor

I don't know how or why this has such an effect on me. After discovering these guys years ago one day, after a delve into the Belgian New Beat sound, this song and video popped up, and there's just something about the guy's facial expressions, odd movements and how the beat and vocal sample grooves to the video that, for some inexplicable reason, absolutely terrifies me, like physical shuddering. I remember feeling this exact way years ago when i discovered, and i didnt excpect the same exact feeling now looking at it again, but i do. I'm being honest when I say I have goosebumps just typing about this. Does anyone else find anything about this disturbing or creepy in any way?

But I wonder what it is, I mean sure, like some music and videos are creepy. But why do I have such a visceral deep fear of this? It's like a nightmarish experience that I can't really fully describe, as if somewhere in the deep caverns of my forgotten childhood night terrors, I've seen this before... It's completely absurd, yet the feeling is so real to me, like spiritual danger.. almost a sign that I need to avoid this song or the guy in the group or the video at all costs. wtffff  

i know i sound completely schizo lol

What's interesting (and also sad) is that supposedly Peter Renkens, the frontman/vocalist of this group Confettis suffered from mental illness and ended up in a psych ward after his group disbanded. Nothing has been heard about him since and there are no traces of him anywhere.

I can't remember years ago if I learned that fact after discovering Confettis and being freaked out by this song/video, or before. It would make sense if I read that and then got creeped out afterwards obviously.

Has anyone watched their other videos? They're super bizarre... It's hard to say whether the strangeness / eerieness is slightly intentional or just a result of the absolute cheesiness of the gimmicks, concepts, costumes fused with the mysterious and dark new beat culture in late 80s Belgium.

For real though, those stiff and lanky dance moves, militaristic outfits, crazed grin, and m bison -like appearance doesnt creep anyone out? /: lol

Lol the singer of that song was literally in my mom's highschool class. He even attended my parents' wedding if I'm not mistaken, but I know that he had some serious mental problems after that. Maybe it's radiating towards you. Do you feel the sound of C?

Arggh this is killing me lol i know i recognize that screenshot from somewhere... Willy wonka? Wizard of oz? What what?

tSvEl2q.gif

it's a kids show from iceland (but starring Americans IIRC) and it was a popular meme source like 10 years ago - back in the days of YTMND and pre-youtube

here's a classic one

Arggh this is killing me lol i know i recognize that screenshot from somewhere... Willy wonka? Wizard of oz? What what?

tSvEl2q.gif

it's a kids show from iceland (but starring Americans IIRC) and it was a popular meme source like 10 years ago - back in the days of YTMND and pre-youtube

here's a classic one

Yeah, it was called Lazytown here in the States

here's a classic one

That mashup is still one of the funniest things I've seen

are you the same guy who had a nuclear mental breakdown over the solipsism wiki article?

Yup that was me... Ironically the time when i discovered that video initially years back was around the same time. I do have a slight hunch some of that energy from my mental breakdown around the time got trapped in that video subconsciously for me lol ...

It's just odd to me that this would be a key trigger or something, as there were many other things that dont scare me now that i associated much more closely with my experience a while back-- things much more symbolic of paranoia (like the films 1408 or In The Mouth of Madness) than some New Beat music video from the 80s lol

tSvEl2q.gif

here's a classic one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQp5l4-sfFA

Ahhh perfect, thanks Josh! Your knowledge goes deep my friend :)

Lol the singer of that song was literally in my mom's highschool class. He even attended my parents' wedding if I'm not mistaken, but I know that he had some serious mental problems after that. Maybe it's radiating towards you. Do you feel the sound of C?

That's fascinating... Do you happen to know more about what may have happened to him? I've been scourging the web for any clues and can't find anything. The closest I got after a lot of detective work was some strange performance art-meets gabber/hardcore dancer guy named Max Eber was supposedly friends with him and I think he said he left the mental ward somewhere in a yt video comment. Ebor's channel is filled with very weird and kinda unsettling skits where he wraps his face up in bandages or sometimes paints himself as an evil joker /clown and in a track suit, and lipsinks to obscure hardcore techno tunes--many of the vids shot low budget in his basement that looks like out of an episode of Hoarders.

A strange one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyu9wTTAZhU

This is one where he re-enacts and pays tribute to Peter Renkens' dancing style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLEKT-6xOc

I don't know how or why this has such an effect on me. After discovering this guy Lane Visitor years ago one day, after a delve into the Watmm Subforums, this guy and his posts popped up, and there's just something about the guy's written expressions, odd posts and how the words and username syncs to the avatar, for some inexplicable reason, absolutely terrifies me, like physical shuddering. I remember feeling this exact way years ago when i discovered, and i didnt excpect the same exact feeling now looking at it again, but i do. I'm being honest when I say I have goosebumps just typing about this. Does anyone else find anything about this disturbing or creepy in any way?

But I wonder what it is, I mean sure, like some users and posts are creepy. But why do I have such a visceral deep fear of him? It's like a nightmarish experience that I can't really fully describe, as if somewhere in the deep caverns of my forgotten childhood night terrors, I've seen this before... It's completely absurd, yet the feeling is so real to me, like spiritual danger.. almost a sign that I need to avoid this forum or the posts in the forum or the user at all costs. wtffff  

i know i sound completely schizo lol

You're not alone. I have something similar with Zelda II on NES.

As a kid, I was at Ganon's palace really excited to finally beat it. I got to a part where a giant slime fell on me and it somehow switched something in my mind to say that it was a very traumatic event. I froze with fear and couldn't play anymore. It haunted me for most of the year and I had a hard time sleeping. I would sleep in the closet with this irrational fear that a giant slime would fall on me as I slept in my bed. To this day, I can't enter Ganon's palace when playing that game since I get irrationally afraid of that giant slime.

That's pretty cool

Ever seen this? Can't remember if he's in it or not:

are you the same guy who had a nuclear mental breakdown over the solipsism wiki article?

Yup that was me... Ironically the time when i discovered that video initially years back was around the same time. I do have a slight hunch some of that energy from my mental breakdown around the time got trapped in that video subconsciously for me lol ...

It's just odd to me that this would be a key trigger or something, as there were many other things that dont scare me now that i associated much more closely with my experience a while back-- things much more symbolic of paranoia (like the films 1408 or In The Mouth of Madness) than some New Beat music video from the 80s lol

that post was really something, it was really insightful reading a first person account of what it's like going through that. I mean I found it ridiculous at first not gonna lie but it stuck with me

As a kid, I was at Ganon's palace really excited to finally beat it. I got to a part where a giant slime fell on me and it somehow switched something in my mind to say that it was a very traumatic event. I froze with fear and couldn't play anymore. It haunted me for most of the year and I had a hard time sleeping. I would sleep in the closet with this irrational fear that a giant slime would fall on me as I slept in my bed. To this day, I can't enter Ganon's palace when playing that game since I get irrationally afraid of that giant slime.

ahaha me too i should look that up

weird thing is i would think the very end where you fight DOPPLEGANGER SHADOW LINK with like reverse pitched down music i think? would be the traumatic thing

that's really interesting... I wonder if the slime falling on you somehow represented or reminded you of something deeply scary for you, and you internalized it from the game? it's so fascinating how certain things excite or scare us and we don't know why. could be dreams, early childhood experiences, past lives. very mysterious stuff. or i guess it could just be a random aversion to things? but that's not as an exciting explanation haha

that post was really something, it was really insightful reading a first person account of what it's like going through that. I mean I found it ridiculous at first not gonna lie but it stuck with me

right on, glad it was a fascinating read for you.. yeah it was certainly an odd (and of course extremely difficult) period in my life. kinda shows how powerful our minds can be when we direct enough focused energy into something, anything really. of course, it would have been nice if i intensely focused my mind those several years on i don't know, say, releasing more music or saving up a lot of money or learning new skills lol but i don't regret it as it was part of my journey in the way it was supposed to be to get me where i am. so yeah, everything full circle it seems. It's pretty cool how some of the most daunting or traumatic times in your life can actually build on your identity, shape future positive experiences, develop you spiritually, etc. 

Archived