IGNORED

Secret Chiefs 3 - UR: Telestar / The New Daylight

NI64

http://downloads.webofmimicry.com/album/ur-telstar-the-new-daylight-welcome-to-the-theatron-animatronique

New digital single from the spacey surf rock side of SC3 - real cool stuff. Expertly produced as usual. Apparently this release is a type of fundraiser to generate finances for two new SC3 albums in the works. My bet's on Book of Souls Folio B and (finally) the Holy Vehm album! Also says to expect another similar digital single in Dec/Jan. So check it out and drop the $4 for it if you wanna help squeeze some more genius out of Spruance's brain.

Never known where to start with the Chiefs, their discography looks confusing as fuck. Bought this one and the bandcamp tracks though. Any other tips as to where to start (although I suspect I would like most of it)?

Never known where to start with the Chiefs, their discography looks confusing as fuck. Bought this one and the bandcamp tracks though. Any other tips as to where to start (although I suspect I would like most of it)?

Book of Horizons is a pretty solid mix-bag of styles. The Satellite Supersonic comp as well. Both those give a fairly comprhensive look at the various styles and interests in SC3. Though I have to say I think Book M is my favorite album of theirs, that one is just relentless and engaging the whole way through. A bit more focused on a consistent feel than some of their other releases I suppose. But they're all great.

I would listen to the main albums in chronological order (1st Grand Constitution => 2nd Grand Constitution => Book M => Book of Horizons => Book of Souls) then go through their discogs page and check out the singles and spinoff albums

Trey's longer blog post on web of mimicry ends thusly:

In disclosure, proceeds from this and the next single will go directly towards financing the completion of Book of Souls: Folio B and a full length Holy Vehm album, both on deck for 2017!

:finances repeatedly:

Singles are great, obvs

Seconding Book of Horizons. The Exile is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, imo.

+3. A shout out to Owl in Daylight, Exodus as well. My favorite SC3 album.

Ha didn't even realize I spelled it wrong in the topic until now. So ready for more Holy Vehm though...those 2 tracks off Horizons are fucking insane. Trey can shred so hard when he wants to. Glad we get to hear more, even if we did have to wait over a decade to.

• 2 weeks later...

Book of Horizons is a pretty solid mix-bag of styles. The Satellite Supersonic comp as well. Both those give a fairly comprhensive look at the various styles and interests in SC3. Though I have to say I think Book M is my favorite album of theirs, that one is just relentless and engaging the whole way through. A bit more focused on a consistent feel than some of their other releases I suppose. But they're all great.

I'd agree that Book of Horizons is the best intro, but also agree I might like Book M even more - really hard to pick a favorite between them, two of the best albums ever produced. Book M has Trey really pushing the electronic elements. Hagia Sophia is borderline breakcore. And Horseman of the Invisible gets me fuckin PUMPED

• 4 months later...

Little late, but there was a second digital single put out recently:

http://downloads.webofmimicry.com/album/the-system-of-antichrist-bereshith

In addition, they released the first 'geek pack' for the Ishraqiyun track, Bereshith. Includes 5 alternate mixes and all the stems.

http://downloads.webofmimicry.com/album/musica-practica-geek-pack-one-bereshith

Also feel inclined to include this fundraising note from Trey, seems like a very honest and heartwarming message to the fans:

Fundraising note: 

SC3 are not adverse to reason, and for sure we admit these kinds of productions are totally unsustainable. Even though we are trying to think of these Bandcamp singles as "fundraisers", you can probably imagine the bottom line. In addition to the mass quantity of semi-professional home recording done at Forking Paths, there's time and money spent on these recordings in world class studios like Prarie Sun and Hyde Street Studios, as well as up & coming studios like the Bunker, none of which is insignificant. Additionally we rack up a pretty huge number of real (paid) professional players, as you can see/hear, with a couple in the inner circle graciously foregoing royalties for these fundraisers, and all of whose efforts add to the thousands of hours of personal work & intense concentration towards production details (often to make up for the lack of genuinely good studio equipment, ie it's time consuming but it works). Everything happens through love of the work and commitment to excellence, pretty much exclusively. Close followers of the band might be questioning, and we already answer yes, these singles take shape while we work on three full-length albums, simultaneously, all of which are extremely different from each other. And rather huge undertakings. Bear in mind that there are no arts or culture foundations behind us, no magic record label dollars to hire publicists etc., no will to exploit our 'multicultural' aspects for culture points, no time to shop our back-catalog to Hollywood or the tech-bro scene. You are our only source of support. And by God we love you for it! Totally impossible to do any of this otherwise. Well, it seems you've endured this paeon far enough...

New release is great! I'm glad they're putting out some content digitally though I do hope they'll put out some singes on vinyl again soon, all the 7" releases have been fantastic, and the art is always superb. I really love my Dance Macabre and Stars and Stripes Forever records (especially since I had the chance to buy them from Trey himself after a show)

Archived