IGNORED

Rhythm, melody, and musical events in their ability to be "IDM" and induce mental pleasure

zlemflolia

Doesn't it seem like mechanical, boring, predictable music can be non-IDM, such as trash pumped out for mass consumption without any nuance?  

Isn't it interesting how weird sloppily rhythmic and melodic sounds like AE_LIVE can be far more pleasurable when you're in a certain mood, in a subtle "IDM" type of way?  It has an organic feel despite being electronically generated and therefore conforming to certain timbre types

This will sound weird, Listen to the sounds of mental retards babbling or the insane talking.  Syntactically and structurally analyze it and make music from the structure, with different timbres and melodic and rhythmic events and timbre modulation effects?  

Would it be pleasing or not pleasing? 

The philosophical question I will attempt to pose is as follows:  Does whether one derives pleasure from the music created from that insane person's babbling indicate anything about that individual?  Are the two polar opposites in some way?  Which way is the best?

What if the only way to exert free will is to do things you don't want to do but know you need to do?  What if laziness is the sacrifice of one's free will?  Wow this thread got off track sorry

Doesn't it seem like mechanical, boring, predictable music can be non-IDM, such as trash pumped out for mass consumption without any nuance?

Isn't it interesting how weird sloppily rhythmic and melodic sounds like AE_LIVE can be far more pleasurable when you're in a certain mood, in a subtle "IDM" type of way? It has an organic feel despite being electronically generated and therefore conforming to certain timbre types

This will sound weird, Listen to the sounds of mental retards babbling or the insane talking. Syntactically and structurally analyze it and make music from the structure, with different timbres and melodic and rhythmic events and timbre modulation effects?

Would it be pleasing or not pleasing?

The philosophical question I will attempt to pose is as follows: Does whether one derives pleasure from the music created from that insane person's babbling indicate anything about that individual? Are the two polar opposites in some way? Which way is the best?

What if the only way to exert free will is to do things you don't want to do but know you need to do? What if laziness is the sacrifice of one's free will? Wow this thread got off track sorry

Just to play Autism's Advocate for a sec and offer a serious reply...

There was a great book that changed the way I see music...(I think it's called 'Musical Events' but I can't be arsed to check right now)...but anyway, it was about how we apply our 'intuitive physics' and our ear for language nuance to listening to music...

So essentially, we hear the directionality of melody as either defying gravity or succumbing to it (e.g. triumphant music is almost always 'defying gravity', and tragic music is succumbing to it)

Also, we have an huge ear for inflection in language...we infer a lot of meaning from how certain words are stressed...so e.g, try saying a sentence where the last word either rises or drops in pitch...we experience these tiny variations as 'social metadata' that tells us something about the person saying it

Anyway, our ear brings all that stuff to bear on music

What if the only way to exert free will is to do things you don't want to do but know you need to do?  What if laziness is the sacrifice of one's free will?

That's good will, yo.  That's human strength at its best.

Also, we have an huge ear for inflection in language...we infer a lot of meaning from how certain words are stressed...so e.g, try saying a sentence where the last word either rises or drops in pitch...we experience these tiny variations as 'social metadata' that tells us something about the person saying it

I think the reason I like acid synths so much is because the frequency modulation can create something sounding like alien speech. It's weird and irregular and I think my brain interprets it more like vocals than other instruments. Aphex Twin's acid sounds especially linguistic.

I completely agree, lots of acid has this sort of mouthy sound that approaches formant-like vowels almost, on the transients

Archived