IGNORED

Living on the streets for a night

Lane Visitor

I was technically homeless for a couple of nights in London many years back, in my 20s. I had been living in London for the summer, mixture of couch surfing and staying in hostels. But one night the hostel I had intended on staying in was booked out, and I couldn't find anywhere else for what little money I had. So I spent most of the night walking the streets of central London, was pretty cool seeing all the nice architecture with no-one around. I spent a few hours in a 24 hour internet cafe, then when the tube opened I got on the circle line (which goes around in a circle) and got a few hours sleep. Only did it another one(?) night IIRC. Was interesting but not fun, and actually sleeping on the streets sounds awful, at least it was in the summer, in the winter it would've been completely awful, and even worse if you had to actually sleep rough. The notion of deliberately wanting to do this seems utterly bizarre to me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent the night in a forest once. It was fucking shit and had to wipe my ass with leafs, so I decided to spend the rest of the night in a city. I was chased by a thug with a knife because I accidentally witnessed him throwing a stone through a window and ended up sleeping in a concrete stairwell for about an hour, then another hour in an empty train.

Never again. I hope.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

I spent the night in a forest once. It was fucking shit and had to wipe my ass with leafs, so I decided to spend the rest of the night in a city. I was chased by a thug with a knife because I accidentally witnessed him throwing a stone through a window and ended up sleeping in a concrete stairwell for about an hour, then another hour in an empty train.

Never again. I hope.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

Jesus that's frightening

It didn't ring alarm bells for me but that's probably because I'm an even worse empathy lacking hipster moron or something. But yeah, compassion for the less privileged is important.

Chased by a thug with a knife? LOL

Didn't Viv Westwood lose the keys to her house once and state "This must be what it feels like to be homeless!" Helllllo, time to come back to the pavement.

Kerouac is like the Safri Duo of trance, found infamy but just copied and made accessible what a few others were doing at the turn of the 20th century. 

The real supertramp is WH. Davies, welsh bloke who was obsessed with being a hobo in the USA around that time. He was the guy that Christopher McCandless was reading when he perished in the alaskan plains. The best thing is that Davies wrote from a position of joy at living the way he did. I think he settled in Gloucestershire somewhere. 

I was "homeless" for 8 months in 2015. Stayed in hostels, hotels, tents, schools, friends' and family members' homes, etc. 63 places in total if I remember correctly. But it was totally voluntary and I had the money to just go to a hotel or whatever if I didn't find other place, so it wasn't real homelessness in the usual sense and I was enjoying it quite a bit. Much less responsibilites.

Edit: To be sure it's stupid to even jokingly compare it to a forced homelessness.

I bought a black homeless man a big mac and fries once. He said he was a top computer programmer and now he's homeless. I believe he's still alive today. That big mac gave him an epiphany and he made guitar hero. just saying... that's what could happen right?

Archived