IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Limpy, as far as I can tell,your problem is twofold.

1) you place far too much emphasis on the online world

2) you seem to be a proponent of the "strong" variety of linguistic relativity, but most sociologists, linguists, and yes, psychologists, are in favour of the "weak" variety.

A third possibility is that you're not going outside your bubble (which I'm probably guilty of as well, which is why I don't see the "fucking idiots" you see) and you don't see what policy makers are saying.

Anti-fascism and street violence don't really contradict each other sadly. Dem man will complete their transformation into Stalinists without ever knowing it.

There's always a line beyond which using force is morally justified

(I guess depending on how concretely or abstractly we define 'self-defense')

And there's (always) a serious conversation to be had about where exactly that line is

But to the extent we're behind that line

Then I think (e.g.) punching neo-Nazis is counterproductive

And just nudges us towards a boiling point we might not like

But also I think 'fascism' is merely the political manifestation of a more fundamental element of humanity/civilization

(Though not necessarily irredeemably hard-coded into humanity/civilization)

I think we all see scenes of fascism play out every time we step into the social world

(e.g.) I live on a busy street

with a constant stream of passers-by

And I see individuals use subtle forms of coercion on others

Pretty much on an hourly basis

Now these people don't have the means to entirely control the behavior of the people around them

But if they did, they would probably look rather like a Stalinist

So anyway if we want to be rid of Fascism

We need to look systemically at humanity/civilization/culture/society

Edited by LimpyLoo

2) you seem to be a proponent of the "strong" variety of linguistic relativity, but most sociologists, linguists, and yes, psychologists, are in favour of the "weak" variety.

A third possibility is that you're not going outside your bubble (which I'm probably guilty of as well, which is why I don't see the "fucking idiots" you see) and you don't see what policy makers are saying.

Yeah well, lemme tell you what your problem is

(Your problem is three-fold, which is one louder, innit)

1) I place some emphasis on the online world, and some people think that is already "too much"

2) I am not a proponent of linguistic relativity

I am a proponent of "you can learn something about people's inner lives based on which words they choose to share with the world"

3) I appreciate your well-meaning attempts to point out my (ostensible) errors, but I'm sorry I don't trust your assessment on this one

Edited by LimpyLoo

its actually extremely impressive how condescending and demeaning you can actually be while literally shouting at everyone else for being condescending and demeaning....

.... to right wing cunts.

Edited by messiaen

and here I thought you were keeping your pointless pontificating to your own little thread/personal subforum.

I'm a monster

I can't control myself

Please...stop me before I participate in any more dialogues

anyway before i leave this thread, i actually understand and respect the sentiment of what your saying, but i just dont agree. any person that has watched trump speak for the last 18 months and then voted for him... theres no hope. theres no point trying. i mention the word fundamental because i dont mind being considered a fundamentalist if my fundamental ideals are the exact fucking opposite of that utter scum. i didnt respect obama, im sure he did an incredible amount of evil as president, however he hid it. he pretended to be reasonable, and moral. trump isnt even pretending. 

its actually extremely impressive how condescending and demeaning you can actually be while literally shouting at everyone else for being condescending and demeaning....

When people throw sarcastic or condescending comments at me

(e.g. "Lemme tell you what your problem is...")

Then yes there comes a point at which I respond with sarcasm or condescension

(Known in game-theory circles as "forgiving tit-for-tat")

The '''anti-facist'''' group ANTIFA beating harmless people on the streets of Berkely. Nice going, really showing those Nazis! Amirite???

yeah really makes all the shit trump is doing look justified amirite? good to put things in perspective. 

OY THERE MATE

That's not what I said neither implied

ah, well. if its got its own title in game theory circles, what can i say?

You seem to enjoy mocking me

While not even trying to understand what I'm saying

Just scanning my posts for things to mock

p.s. You might notice that I don't tend to bring that game onto the court

But if someone talks to me using sarcasm and ridicule

Then I assume that's how they see the world

So yeah let's talk that way

until we can figure out how to stop talking that way

for fucks sake can you sort out the haikus / paragraphs? i refuse to believe there's nothing you can do about that. first step to being taken seriously imo

Stop using fucking condescension and ridicule to correct other people's behavior for fuck's sake and sorry I forgot people like to read posts that go all the way fucking left to all the way fucking right and so I idiotically keep trying to make my posts as legible as I can and so this same fucking complaint pops up every couple months "correct your fucking behavior to fit my personal aesthetic preferences" well how about no to that.

seriously though, the haiku paragraphs give the impression of an obese man trying to be eloquent, but running out of breath every 7 words while trying to walk alongside you.

honestly limpy loo i dont even disagree with you exactly i just find the way you present your opinion extremely mockable, and ive had a few beers. life goes on.

I also used to enjoy mocking people and then pointing to alcohol and shrugging like "yup, got no control over how I treat others because of this beer, sorry"

oh no il stand by my gentle mocking tommorow, thats fine. i just dont even usually bother replying to things on the internet unless ive had a few beers, its more something to keep me entertained on my phone while i have a shite or a cigarette at work these days. 

Just some gentle playground cruelty, eh?

I like how you use doublespeak to rationalize treating others poorly

As well as: "Is the coast clear to mock this person? The room seems to be giving me the green light, and I've had a few beers, so yeah let's ridicule this person for whatever petty reason!"

Yeah well, lemme tell you what your problem is

(Your problem is three-fold, which is one louder, innit)

1) I place some emphasis on the online world, and some people think that is already "too much"

2) I am not a proponent of linguistic relativity

I am a proponent of "you can learn something about people's inner lives based on which words they choose to share with the world"

3) I appreciate your well-meaning attempts to point out my (ostensible) errors, but I'm sorry I don't trust your assessment on this one

Limpy, by your own admission you are somewhat of a hermit. You are also (whether you realize it or not, or care to admit it or not) a proponent of linguistic relativity, as evidenced by your various posts on what Wittgenstein would have to say about the use of language.

You glean "information" on people's lives from tumblr, facebook and various social media.

People use language to hide their true selves as much as they use it to reveal themselves. Additionally, words have social context, and do not exist in isolation. Without understanding the milieu in which the words are spoken, you can not truly understand the words. This is why your understanding of the world as seen through tumblr (remember when tumblr was going to bring about the downfall of higher education because of safe spaces?), facebook (apparently on your facebook, people spend a lot of time yelling insults at each other) and other social media (where life is performed at best pseudonymously, and at worst completely anonymously, and is generally removed from the individual's milieu) is flawed.

Again, perhaps it is different in your physical surroundings, but my experience of the world unmediated by the computer screen, in a quite "liberal" city, is one where people are very disturbed by the Trump administration, but they don't call the people who voted him in "fucking idiots". Of course this is anecdotal, and not data per se, but it is a much better estimation of the world than what comes through in social media.

Anyhow, sorry to everyone else for being a limpy enabler.

When people throw sarcastic or condescending comments at me

(e.g. "Lemme tell you what your problem is...")

Then yes there comes a point at which I respond with sarcasm or condescension

(Known in game-theory circles as "forgiving tit-for-tat")

This is not "tit-for-tat with forgiveness" by the way.

a) I amactually in fully-bearded Hermetic/scholastic/monastic mode

But also, on top of that, I spend a lot of time out in the world with my girlfriend, family, friends, acquaintances, and strangers

And as I've said, I'm actually quite optimistic about humanity in general

I genuinely like people, and I genuinely want everyone to thrive

But unfortunately we still have some kinks

And if you go outside and watch people flood past

(I live on the main street that runs through my city)

You see certain behaviors over and over

So for example, one of them is how people treat those they have no use for

You don't see this tendency play out in arranged/controlled social settings

(i.e. Where there would be social punishments for this behavior)

You only see it when people are in 'chaotic transition' mode

We don't usually count that as part of humanity's character

Simply because people are usually clever about suppressing it

But again: it seems to decide presidential elections

So maybe let's assume it's a real human tendency and act to correct for it

b) I do talk a lot about Wittgenstein

But I also talk about Saul Kripke, John Searle, Hillary Putnam...

And my worldview is not necessarily identical to their worldviews

I just try to source ideas when I throw them out

But here is exactly my worldview:

People use certain language at certain times for certain motivations

(and sometimes people aren't motivated to use language at all)

But when they do, might that information tell you something about their motivations?

Maybe, but how much?

Well, it depends on what they said and where they said it

and the fact they even said anything in the first place

c) "tumblrism" (which I don't have/never had an account for because I don't go on it)

is/was just shorthand for "leftist authoritarianism" (or pick your favorite label)

and Tumblr seemed to be the 4Chan of disseminating these attitudes

Now, IMO this attitude exists in the real world

and it has real social/political ramifications (like all cultural waves do)

Tumblr itself is just some blog hosting website

I don't actually care about the actual website

(Though I'm sorry to scapegoat it, I suppose)

d) Chen, I understand that 'words have social context'

Which is why I spent two whole posts talking about social context and FB's selection bias (i.e. the reason why it selects for histrionics the way it does)

This is not "tit-for-tat with forgiveness" by the way.

Forgive some 'tits (lol)', and don't necessarily respond with 'tats'?

Pretty sure that is 'tit for tat (now with forgiveness!)'

Edited by LimpyLoo