IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

In other words, it's difficult to create and implement a long-term strategy when you're in jail or dead.

Limpy: Keep tilting at them windmills.

Why aren't things awesome?

Well, obviously it wasn't because the people of the recent past chose shitty short-term solutions for the ever-recurring problems of civilization (which they treated as short-term problems, not long-term).

(I always appreciate the condescension and cynicism, though.)

This theocracy ting will be okay if we all become Quakers.

Or what if we were to learn that science and religion are after the same thing

And that tribes have 'behavioral immune systems'

So if you say "alright Creationists, you fucking idiots, time to discard your superstition and embrace Evolution", then:

a) if they don't respond well, it's because they're fucking idiots and we need to shout at them louder

b) if they act tribalistically in order to protect their religion against those who think it's superstition, then that's a fucking mystery, innit!

c) if they look like you've just presented them with a complete non-sequitur (e.g. "discard boxer-briefs and embrace thin-crust pizza"), then again, it's because they're fucking idiots

d) whatever you do, don't try to understand them and reason with them...they are sub-human, and immune to logic

TL;DR =

everyone's a fucking idiot, so you just need to shout louder

Or what if we were to learn that science and religion are after the same thing

And that tribes have 'behavioral immune systems'

So if you say "alright Creationists, you fucking idiots, time to discard your superstition and embrace Evolution", then:

a) if they don't respond well, it's because they're fucking idiots and we need to shout at them louder

b) if they act tribalistically in order to protect their religion against those who think it's superstition, then that's a fucking mystery, innit!

c) if they look like you've just presented them with a complete non-sequitur (e.g. "discard boxer-briefs and embrace thin-crust pizza"), then again, it's because they're fucking idiots

d) whatever you do, don't try to understand them and reason with them...they are sub-human, and immune to logic

TL;DR =

everyone's a fucking idiot, so you just need to shout louder

if i'm following limpy correctly, he's saying that "going high" is the best way forward and bringing people along only works when you don't ask them to lose part of their identity. i"permission structure" was a popular phrase not long ago and i still like it. e.g., it's appropriate to use the language of american uniqueness, which may actually be colonialist or imperialist, in the defense of humane immigration and refugee policies, so that you can build a coalition, that includes non-liberals, robust enough to resist.

as for "going high" v "going low" i think it can be said that Trump represents a pretty acute threat and that, while shouting down and shaming his supporters won't win the day, short-term strategies to win segments of the population in key states comes before long-term strategies to bring along larger numbers. 

now, the tricky part is, there is a scenario in which going low, so to speak, is successful- you rile up "the base" and activate once-sleeping segments that haven't voted in the past. this approach may come at the expense of a longer game of "going high," but may be necessary if we are perceiving the threat correctly.

"These are the three or four black people I've spoken to more than once and not been afraid of, also, listen to me say the names of other blacks I've heard a bunch over the years."

A) Or what if we were to learn that science and religion are after the same thing

TL;DR =

B)everyone's a fucking idiot, so you just need to shout louder

A) They're not.

B) that's not what is being proposed, hence, windmill tilting.

sowing doubts of a reckless personality @ the helm is 1 thing, its prob a good tactic with Putin & the Kremlin in some aspects, but the Iran bs this week on top of the world attention grabbing visa charade could end up worse than Irag, Syria & Afghanistan combined

at least with Obama, Bush, Clinton et al you felt their imperialism was transparent, with the 45th douche its like an Ayn Rand wet dream on some as yet unidentified hyper-aphrodisiac/erectile dysfunction drug combo

ugly

A) Or what if we were to learn that science and religion are after the same thing

TL;DR =

B)everyone's a fucking idiot, so you just need to shout louder

A) They're not.

B) that's not what is being proposed, hence, windmill tilting.

a) Forgive me if I don't take your word for it.

b) That's not what is explicitly being proposed

But if you look around

You might notice that people tend to assume that

those who disagree with them are 'fucking idiots'

(And thus treat them accordingly)

It's one of those 'hidden assumptions' that human thinking is riddled with

e.g. I just checked FB

And as I scrolled down the feed

All I saw was basically

"those people are fucking idiots

And so let's treat them like fucking idiots"

(Although nobody says that explicitly

Because we tend to be more 'subtle' than that)

Now maybe all my FB 'friends' are idiots themselves

Or maybe this is a common phenomenon

You tell me, I guess

Edited by LimpyLoo

FB is bubblemetropolis. you basically see what the bubble-algortihm thinks you'll like, in addition to the people close to you. i'm surprised people even use fb as a newssource (not implying you do, btw). or in other words: if you like alternative realities, you can check into FB.

drexciya reference not intended

I totally agree

But, you are seeing a genuine aspect of these people's personalities

(Just need to always keep in mind that FB self-selects for the more emotional and histrionic moments of people's thinking)

there's an important difference between seeing some genuine aspects of peoples personalities and rightly assessing those aspects from peoples online behaviour. the term "trolling" comes to mind. don't think many online trolls behave like that in real life. contrary is more likely, id say. and often it's hard to tell what's genuine.

online bullshit is rampant, imo. which might signal some genuine aspects of people, but i'd assume most of it is between the lines and interpreted over time. 

talking in general. not specifically fb, btw. which i ignore as much as possible, tbh. as fb is mostly about what people want you to see about them. that's as interesting as going to the local disco on a saturday night. ;-)

@Godel

Well as you've probably noticed, I have a rather annoying obsession with psycholinguistics (i.e. psychology + linguistic philosophy)

So I am at least a little confident in my ability to infer/deduce people's minds based on the words they say (in whatever social-language-game they say them)

The problem is: the IRL world is rather FB-like

Every third-ish IRL stranger I encounter has the mind/behavior of someone in the midst of a FB meltdown

So FB selects specifically for things people think are worth saying aloud

To whatever audience they expect to be listening

In fact, I think (e.g.) FB is basically a (shitty) emergency broadcast system

For people's social/emotional lives

So of course FB selects for ('skews towards') the more emotional bits of people's inner lives

But those bits are real

And it looks to me like those bits are big enough to (e.g.) decide presidential elections

(And thus perhaps the fate of civilization)

So yeah FB is skewed as fuck

But once you mentally control for that skew

There's a lot to be learned about humanity (imo)

@LimpyLoo

You still missed my point. I never said "do whatever it takes to stop Trump". I said "I think massive nonviolent protest is the best way to bring Trump to act normally". None of this means that you have to think the other side is an idiot and you need to shout at them more loudly. The only point of the protest is to say "hey, we the people don't agree with this, we're really sorry, you won the election, but you got to stop and we need to talk". Absolutely fucking none of this ever entails "going low". Martin Luther King didn't "go low", Gandhi didn't "go low".

Haven't you noticed the tendency where every altruistic act is getting labeled "virtue signalling"? This means these two words can turn every act of good faith against you, because people have been led to believe that good acts are just something that rich/liberal people do to give a nice impression. What I'm saying is that now, in order for people to actually believe in your good faith, you need to do something pretty impressive.

I don't fucking get it, you've got the Civil Rights movement and anti-Vietnam in living memory, and now you've got the president and his advisors ignoring climate change and threatening Mexico, Iran and China with war, and you're here thinking about long-term solutions? Well if it satisfies you, going out to protest a crazy government has very big long-term implications in terms of strength of democracy and political accountability, and it absolutely does not mean that you have to be angrily shouting at your opponents that they are idiots.

Edited by thawkins

whatever, doesn't change the fact that for 70 years trump has been screwing people over, are we suppose to forget Trump University and pretend the man has good intentions? the cunt has no morals and we have a long record to prove it 

Edited by Deer