IGNORED

Dollarstore Keyboard thread

omnii

Cult 45 is really awesome in terms of production and mood / vibe... much prefer it to what was happening in Pnumber. The splashy reverbs in C45 mixed with that somewhat brooding melody is a very unique sound that i'd like to hear more of

Happy to hear it, thanks so much for listening! I definitely want to make more tracks in that style.

yeah lovely beats definitely, but that melodie always playing 1/4 really needs some variation to make it groovy or something...

Interesting, that's very useful feedback thanks again! I'll keep that in mind. I am self taught and am very ignorant to all the science and theory of music, all i have going for me is a ridiculous amount of experience figuring it out by doing it. Constructive feedback from likeminded people is invaluable to me. 

Also i love your avatar!

Edited by omnii

• 1 month later...

Here is a short and simple new melodic piece i uploaded. I'm really happy with it, i feel like i captured my emotional state more clearly than i have ever been able to with this one. 

• 2 months later...

I uploaded a new track to Soundcloud called "Sleep Depraved". As the title might suggest it is ambient and moody. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally finished my new record! This release is dedicated to the memory of Qebrus who contributed production to the first 3 tracks. https://dollarstorekeyboard.bandcamp.com/album/audiosalve

Already rapped at ya in Discord but this is fucken lushness, great work

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your support.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice ambience and chilled groove, love the noise percussion sound, very organic and analog sounding. The little vocal parts create a good unsettling mood and the chromatic melodies and interesting, has a nursery-like quality to it.

Thanks so much LemonMelon, it's really nice to read that! The noise percussion was indeed made on an analogue synth :)

Edited by omnii

• 1 month later...

Hello, i just recently finished a track that seems to be heavily influenced by much of the music i saw Aphex Twin play at Day for Night in Houston. The strongest examples i could give would be Jlin, Qebrus and Sd Laika. I hope you guys enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/cult-45

I love the weird tortured violin thingy you got going on here at around 1:43. It's dark and harsh, and at times sounds like it belongs in a Castlevania level. I'm thinking the munitions factory level on Castlevania: Bloodlines for Genesis :-p. Awesome. 

I love the weird tortured violin thingy you got going on here at around 1:43. It's dark and harsh, and at times sounds like it belongs in a Castlevania level. I'm thinking the munitions factory level on Castlevania: Bloodlines for Genesis :-p. Awesome. 

What a great response, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts :)

• 2 weeks later...

Matrix Repair man is a crazy jam.

Bubbling weirdness.

Drunk atmo.

The pads at the end are glorious.

I'm so happy you like it! That means a lot coming from you, i think you are brilliant :)

• 3 months later...

Really liked 'Pnumber', that snare has so much air, a really cool flavor on that 808 snare sound. The melodies in the break were sweet too (and that clap was killer after those). I checked out 'Past Tents' too: your skills at chopping breaks is tops, and the overall feel of the song is whimsical and cheerful in a nice way, sonically reminds me of songs from Aphex's RDJ album. One thing in terms of critique: I like the pun in the title 'Past Tents,' but if the song is about time then I thought there could have been a little time-conscious sound design going on, not necessarily more reverb or delay, but maybe reversing a melody here and there or something. Either way, sweet tracks man. 

Yeah past tents is a beauty love the pitch shifting on the amens and the slow moving melody and textures over the top. I would like it if there was more low end but it feels like thats a creative choice to avoid those frequencies

Thanks so much to all of you for listening and for your thoughtful feedback. 

Really liked 'Pnumber', that snare has so much air, a really cool flavor on that 808 snare sound. The melodies in the break were sweet too (and that clap was killer after those)

Most of the credit for that goes to Qebrus, he mastered that track and added some punch and effects to the drums <3

your skills at chopping breaks is tops, and the overall feel of the song is whimsical and cheerful in a nice way, sonically reminds me of songs from Aphex's RDJ album. One thing in terms of critique: I like the pun in the title 'Past Tents,' but if the song is about time then I thought there could have been a little time-conscious sound design going on, not necessarily more reverb or delay, but maybe reversing a melody here and there or something. Either way, sweet tracks man. 

I'm very happy and relieved by what you said about my break chopping, this is my first song using breaks. I was worried that i had no idea what i was doing! I'm using a Digitakt which isn't ideal but breaks are helpful due to it's other limitations.

I went with the name "Past Tents" partially because it reminded me of late 90's stuff like the RDJ album and early Mum. I really like your idea about time-conscious sound design, i'm gonna give that a shot. This track is part of a live set i'm writing so i'll be living with it for a while.

Edited by omnii

I'm very happy and relieved by what you said about my break chopping, this is my first song using breaks. I was worried that i had no idea what i was doing! I'm using a Digitakt which isn't ideal but breaks are helpful due to it's other limitations.

Apologies for populating your thread with a youtube vid, but if you keep working with breaks, wanted to recommend this one (starts at 3:15). I'm sure someone's done it before but I can't think of anything. Also, the EPs from the band Overmono last year had some killer break work. 

That's a killer break, i appreciate you sharing it!

I had never heard of Overmono before, i'm checking them out right now and i'm liking what i'm hearing :)

• 1 month later...