IGNORED

@Admin

Psychotronic

Yeh, that was me. Part of the upgrade to the newer IPS requires pushing PHP 5.6 as a minimum, so as the server runs Ubuntu 14.04, which is LTS but has stuck with 5.5.9, it requires a third party PPA to get the upgrade to happen, not a big deal but I missed the ioncube lib last night before heading off to bed, easter hit today, had a massive 7.1% beer at a restaurant and fixed it using SSH from my phone at the table. Seems to be working. Now I have to make the UTF-8 conversion work on the IPS upgrade, because this current version never standardised on any particular table but they started pushing UTF-8 later on. I'll keep an eye on this thread today if anyone has issues. Not too late though, as there's a limit to the amount of drunk and server maintenance I'm capable of.

Weirdly though, the mobile site worked fine without ioncube...

Part of the upgrade to the newer IPS requires pushing PHP 5.6 as a minimum

I had a inverse Situation in the last weeks. The german music production board i'm running needed a server transfer. The new server now runs arch linux. As arch linux consists of current software(rolling releases) by design, i had the issue of not having a php5.6. The board software we run is quite modded and old, so we are stuck with an older php5.6 and cannot use php7. Luckily somebody created a AUR package with a compile script that runs completly automatic. I am now able to switch between a current php7 and php5.6 via httpd.conf.

Also...

1444100981870.png

Part of the upgrade to the newer IPS requires pushing PHP 5.6 as a minimum

I had a inverse Situation in the last weeks. The german music production board i'm running needed a server transfer. The new server now runs arch linux. As arch linux consists of current software(rolling releases) by design, i had the issue of not having a php5.6. The board software we run is quite modded and old, so we are stuck with an older php5.6 and cannot use php7. Luckily somebody created a AUR package with a compile script that runs completly automatic. I am now able to switch between a current php7 and php5.6 via httpd.conf.

Also...

1444100981870.png

Arch is great for server maintenance, they don't fluff it up with lots of extra stuff. Just what you need. CentOS is the same, with maybe the exception of adding SELinux out of the box.

Are you running FPM with those configs?

Frontpage seams to work fine again. Good luck with the UTF-8 conversion. :gamer:

Yay! Thanks!

Arch is great for server maintenance, they don't fluff it up with lots of extra stuff. Just what you need. CentOS is the same, with maybe the exception of adding SELinux out of the box.

Not yet. Should i give it a try? Hmmm

Not yet. Should i give it a try? Hmmm

FPM is useful because it manages FastCGI/SAPI processes automatically. If the server is eating a lot of memory then switching to FPM can manage FastCGI a lot better as it will normally just spin up as many FastCGI instances as it thinks it needs. But then again, you mentioned that it's a heavy modded forum, so maybe kid-gloves with that one. Spin up a VM somewhere, try to replicate the server config in Arch again, or image it if you're not currently running bare-metal, then try it out. It shouldn't have a negative effect on the general operation of PHP, plus experimenting in a VM might give you an idea of how much damage upgrading to PHP 7 might be on the existing codebase. PHP 7's performance really is worth looking into upgrading. This forum will certainly benefit once PHP 7 is running.

was really confusing yesterday, today seems ok

I think in terms of the current forum, that's the worst that'll happen. PHP is pretty much the only thing that is shared between where we're testing and here. Now that's sorted it's just a matter of conversion and some heavy fisting.

And by fisting, I mean testing.

...How much damage upgrading to PHP 7 might be on the existing codebase. PHP 7's performance really is worth looking into upgrading...

Ok, that was what i needed to hear.

I already tried PHP 7 and noticed that i would be forced to refactor half of the code base. The same effort used on a empty project with the use of current frameworks would result in a new board software fitting the needs of my userbase. You can guess, what i'm currently doing in my spare time. ;)

:emotawesomepm9:

Yeh, that was me. Part of the upgrade to the newer IPS requires pushing PHP 5.6 as a minimum, so as the server runs Ubuntu 14.04, which is LTS but has stuck with 5.5.9, it requires a third party PPA to get the upgrade to happen, not a big deal but I missed the ioncube lib last night before heading off to bed, easter hit today, had a massive 7.1% beer at a restaurant and fixed it using SSH from my phone at the table. Seems to be working. Now I have to make the UTF-8 conversion work on the IPS upgrade, because this current version never standardised on any particular table but they started pushing UTF-8 later on. I'll keep an eye on this thread today if anyone has issues. Not too late though, as there's a limit to the amount of drunk and server maintenance I'm capable of.

Weirdly though, the mobile site worked fine without ioncube...

picgifs-not-bad-agreement-5758729.gif

...How much damage upgrading to PHP 7 might be on the existing codebase. PHP 7's performance really is worth looking into upgrading...

Ok, that was what i needed to hear.

I already tried PHP 7 and noticed that i would be forced to refactor half of the code base. The same effort used on a empty project with the use of current frameworks would result in a new board software fitting the needs of my userbase. You can guess, what i'm currently doing in my spare time. ;)

:emotawesomepm9:

I can understand that. What framework have you settled on? I tend to default to Laravel/Lumen for new stuff as I can jam it up with design patterns. But to be honest, I'm not too fussy. I've been burnt too many times with proprietary third party libraries that I almost expect to be pissed on from a great height at some stage during a projects development. After years wondering around Symfony, Cake, CodeIngiter Phalcon and a few others these seems to have stuck with me.

I wonder what happens January 2019 when 5.6 doesn't get patched anymore. Basically all of my websites crash when switched to 7

They're currently in 'security fixes only' mode at the moment. I've had to upgrade quite a number of sites for this exact reason and the biggest reasons for incompatibility are the changes to the way exceptions are handled. Because PHP 5 had a bunch of un-catchable errors, they decided to convert them to exceptions. It means that all the error skipping flags setup on your site won't protect you from actual exceptions.

The other one is that list() has changed a fair bit and breaks stuff, can't have empty lists, variables are assigned in the correct order etc.

global only accepts simple objects, but that's an easy fix as you can change the referencing to fix it up:

global $$foo->bar;

becomes

global ${$foo->var};

But, you know, stop using global

foreach's internal pointer doesn't change as you iterate through an array any more. If you reference the array by pointer, every iteration will point to the first element, that broke a surprising amount for me.

These caught me out for a while:

call_user_method() -> call_user_func()

call_user_method_array() -> call_user_func_array()

:\

Guarantee that any mysql stuff will break. GUARANTEE.

This is probably why I favour frameworks as it takes all this junk out of the equation. Plus I never want to write XSS, SQL injection, or CSRF code ever again. sick of it.

Centurix, on 16 Apr 2017 - 4:00 PM, said:

I can understand that. What framework have you settled on? I tend to default to Laravel/Lumen for new stuff as I can jam it up with design patterns. But to be honest, I'm not too fussy. I've been burnt too many times with proprietary third party libraries that I almost expect to be pissed on from a great height at some stage during a projects development. After years wondering around Symfony, Cake, CodeIngiter Phalcon and a few others these seems to have stuck with me.

Lumen looks very interesting, i'll have a look at that. Thx!

With the new system i don't currently work centered to a single programming language, but try my luck with multiple.

Templating: Mustache (works with any programming language or framework)

Client Side: HTML5 + CSS3 + LESSCSS + Bootstrap + jquery + vuejs

Database: redis(sessions), elastic search(fulltext search), mariadb(master data)

Server Side: Google GO + Java + Python (+ Erlang)

I might also use a graph database like neo4j.

All of this might sound a little weird, so let me explain.

Think about the following:

1. Most of the usage of a website is passive. People search and consume content. This content can be static for a given user group.

2. People want to change the contents sometimes, this has to be dynamic.

So what i'm aiming for is not a classical board software, but a system that is basically a part time static site generator mixed with client side single page app + some classic server side mvc.

For example: Think about what a thread/topic for a board software is and how it is rendered at runtime for every user. Next, think about what parts of it you could pre render... etc.

Archived