IGNORED

Does anyone still listen to the radio?

frankbooth

I love the radio, maybe more so than TV, perfect companion for washing the dishes/cooking/cleaning and so forth.

Mainstays are Beeb Radio 3 and 4; also the local auld folks' '60s/'70s station, which veers from the ridiculous to the sublime. It's a lucky dip.

Overall with Radio 3 and 4 in particular I feel like the content's a lot less likely to talk down to the listener than with some equivalent TV stuff, I always learn new things and come away feeling like I've been, ahem (dons tweed jacket with elbow patches) culturally enriched. Obviously there's some wank as well but overall I'm consistently blown away by the range of interesting programmes and vast archives of really well-made stuff. Blessedly free of advertisements as well.

Only a couple of local Internet stations now and then like NTS Manchester and Reform Radio.

My work kitchen used to have BBC Radio 6 on which I quite liked but a couple of years ago was relegated to a local rock station called XS. They play the same damn "best of" play list crap over and over. Ennui every time I get a coffee. I'd you're a rock fan, wouldn't you want to listen to hidden gems and B-side shit too? Don't get it.

CBC 1 fairly often (talk/magazine stuff, imagine a mix between BBC radios 2 and 4) when I'm working from home.

Quite miss BBC radio tho, yes I know I can get it thru the net but it's <i>not the same</i>

Only a couple of local Internet stations now and then like NTS Manchester and Reform Radio.

My work kitchen used to have BBC Radio 6 on which I quite liked but a couple of years ago was relegated to a local rock station called XS. They play the same damn "best of" play list crap over and over. Ennui every time I get a coffee. I'd you're a rock fan, wouldn't you want to listen to hidden gems and B-side shit too? Don't get it.

their motto is "Rock Without Prejudice" lol

TBH they have a much more diverse playlist then most American rock and pop stations. 

I love the radio, maybe more so than TV, perfect companion for washing the dishes/cooking/cleaning and so forth.

Same for me. I just find I get instantly annoyed and irritated as soon as I switch the tv on. 95% of the people on the box just get on my goat!

Internet radio on occasion like NTS and such, but as for actual brodcast? Nah... Broadcast radio around here absolutely sucks, 90% of it is owned by ClearChannel communications so it's all heavily watered down to their formatted playlists of what they think a station should sound like, most of which all sounds pretty much like the same old shit regardless of what station you're on. 

Radio for music? Listened to it, recorded it, on Saturdays there was that new great stuff called Acid House. Later, IDM was not covered by my local radio stations. But hey, I bought records, preferably purple ones.

From then, Radio is only for talk/news. WDR2 german station for me. Not expecting good music. I want music in radio to not annoy me. It should run in the background without me noticing.

For random music and hope to find something unexpected, I rather use Spotify.

But good things come unexpected.

Archived