IGNORED

Sampling off Youtube

digitaltsunami

Yo!

Do you sample off YouTube?

If so, how?

I am actually lucky cause I have both a laptop and a MacMini where I run Logic and I am actually thinking about recording videos thru the soundcard, instead of "downloading" the audio

Also, it legal?

Not sampling official videos / songs whatever, I mean random videos, etc

I sampled youtube a lot for my album Northern Flicker. I straight up used an online youtube downloader that had both mp3 and wav conversion and then cut out the pieces I liked in cooledit pro. Most of the videos I used were people getting angry at video games for percussion and turntable scratching or pieces of soundtracks (you can hear a piece of Starcraft's zerg music in my track Nadir). I morphed most of it so you could not tell where it came from. On the plus side it sped up the amount of time I was able to produce tracks, but afterwards I did have some guilt over it and probably would not do it again and I would definitely not sell it for money.

or soundflower. the sooner you get over your fear of sampling, the sooner you will get good at sampling and no one will recognize your samples anyway. people are uploading pirated content left and right all over the place, i can guarantee no one is monitoring your soundcloud account trying to figure out where you got that flute sound at a minute twenty in. 

You might as well download the whole audio to get the best audio sample representation though if you go down that route. As long as you aren't doing it for profit or get to a point  in your career musically where copyright and auditing becomes an issue, you should be fine.

I use youtube-dl when I want to save something. It's basically the same as taping a show on video in my opinion. As for sampling, I think you should be worried about it impacting when you're at a whole different professional level and I guess then you wouldn't be asking the question here.

or soundflower. the sooner you get over your fear of sampling, the sooner you will get good at sampling and no one will recognize your samples anyway. people are uploading pirated content left and right all over the place, i can guarantee no one is monitoring your soundcloud account trying to figure out where you got that flute sound at a minute twenty in. 

lol, get good at sampling? ok

seems fine since burial sampled a lot of youtube covers of popular songs for untrue

lol this made listening to untrue so much worse to me now. He is really just pitching stolen vocals up and down while sampling his keychain for drums adding some reverb

seems fine since burial sampled a lot of youtube covers of popular songs for untrue

lol this made listening to untrue so much worse to me now. He is really just pitching stolen vocals up and down while sampling his keychain for drums adding some reverb

This. It's dishonest as an artist at best, and outright fraud and stealing at worst.

This. It's dishonest as an artist at best, and outright fraud and stealing at worst.

I think you could only say that when you listened to it first without knowing how it was made and knew what's really going on.

I mean there's a difference of experiencing a shoddy plagiarism work of art and instantly registering that hey this is bullshit, and experiencing and enjoying something up until the point where the artist says that uh yeah I basically just copied and adapted most of it. Like looking at a Pollock and saying my kid could have done that - well your kid didn't. Maybe there's a bit more creativity involved than just sampling random shit off youtube, and now that one dude's done it, the stakes are so much higher.

Tbh it seems most of human progress in science has been very heavily built on other existing stuff. Sure, some people get a Nobel and win some fame, but always if you look closer at what they've done and what their inspirations were, all that shit is not so groundbreaking anymore.

I think you could only say that when you listened to it first without knowing how it was made and knew what's really going on.

I mean there's a difference of experiencing a shoddy plagiarism work of art and instantly registering that hey this is bullshit, and experiencing and enjoying something up until the point where the artist says that uh yeah I basically just copied and adapted most of it. Like looking at a Pollock and saying my kid could have done that - well your kid didn't. Maybe there's a bit more creativity involved than just sampling random shit off youtube, and now that one dude's done it, the stakes are so much higher.

Tbh it seems most of human progress in science has been very heavily built on other existing stuff. Sure, some people get a Nobel and win some fame, but always if you look closer at what they've done and what their inspirations were, all that shit is not so groundbreaking anymore.

Is it, though? Here is a hot take: It's being measured in commercial success, not artistically,  to people who don't know any better and are being shown a messed up rhetoric, bordering on dishonest, of what an artist is and should strive to be. One could say L. Ron Hubbard's "invention" of the E-Meter and stealing a bunch of Freud's ideas of catharsis through reliving horrible traumatic experiences into a cult is creativity, with his followers saying he has profound insight and is a gifted and wonderful man, where he is merely stealing other people's ideas and making a pseudoscience word salad to feed his narcissicm and bank account. Or a more recent example is Jordan Peterson remixing a ton of outdated, disproven concepts of Jung, Dostoevsky and Nietzsche and finding a disenfranchised audience who, again, don't know any better and hear on the surface something that feels like it resonates with them and they claim that it is brilliant and is artistic. Yet when challenged on it, not one of them can make a positive, active assertion to the contrary because "you don't get it" or "you don't understand what he is trying to do or say" and it becomes almost an argument of faith.

Just like what your argument is supposing.

Burial is a thief.

Its just impossible for me to unhear it so it doesn't matter anymore if he succeeded to fool me first. like these great cover songs where the original sounds better than the coverband and you just find out how low their effort was. the financial success of said track does not make it better.

This whole concept of "but everyone samples it's ok" is just bullshit and simply a sign of laziness. If you can't come up with something of your own then you don't deserve to be called a musician. Then again maybe some people don't care how they are gonna be called.

A) Nobody should give a shit what they are gonna be called... this reeks of insecure academics who get butthurt if not properly addressed as "doctor" or whatever.

B) Sampling well (as opposed to, say, grab 4 bars of this top 40 hit of yesteryear and slap some drums on it) is truly an art. 

C) There are tons of "sample packs" for Live et al that have already done the work of preparing samples for you pre-trimmed and in pre-digested formats... how is using these less lazy than building your own out of longer samples?

This whole concept of "but everyone samples it's ok" is just bullshit and simply a sign of laziness. If you can't come up with something of your own then you don't deserve to be called a musician. Then again maybe some people don't care how they are gonna be called.

totally agreed -- afx, squarepusher, amon tobin, vibert, boc, vsnares, etc are not musicians at all 

jesus christ please tell me you two dingbats are kidding

OP you're looking for this - http://convert2mp3.net/en/setlang.php?lang=en

thank me later

Totally fucking with him. :tongue:

I don't think it's laziness at all. There are some really great use of sample manipulation that some artists really put a spin on the original sample and completely change the underlying meaning into their own work. J Dilla's Donuts, albeit a bit overrated, is a shining example. On a technical level, if you're using a computer to make music, its all sampling just by nature of how buffers and digital output work.. I just think its more disingenuous when someone who samples egregiously from someone else's music, slaps their name on it, and says its their song. It's like putting a big ebaumsworld.com watermark over someone.

If he were still alive, I'd like to hear what Clyde Stubblefield would of said about people sampling him. Especially since he died with a shitload of debt from unpaid medical bills.

Ok so what do people think about dj shadow's endtroducing?

One of the greatest hip hop records imo and others, but using big chunks of samples and just throwing drum breaks over top...

A) Nobody should give a shit what they are gonna be called... this reeks of insecure academics who get butthurt if not properly addressed as "doctor" or whatever.

B) Sampling well (as opposed to, say, grab 4 bars of this top 40 hit of yesteryear and slap some drums on it) is truly an art.

C) There are tons of "sample packs" for Live et al that have already done the work of preparing samples for you pre-trimmed and in pre-digested formats... how is using these less lazy than building your own out of longer samples?

A) If you're serious about the music, like the academics whom you mentioned, then it's actually relevant if you want to be taken seriously. Whether or not that is a good thing is another story.

B) I never implied sampling was bad or anything. (Go Plastic is amazing, of course, but I sometimes think that it would be even cooler if Tom didn't use other people's samples and just went full autistic with his own.) My criticism was mainly directed towards people who rely heavily on other people's samples (Burial etc.). I get it that there are scenes like vaporwave etc. but I still think that it's laziness or maybe just not giving a shit about what you are doing..

C) That is the "problem". Today everything is super-available and that of course makes it harder to be more original. That's why you have to work even harder to make something relatively new (nothing is 100% original, we know that). And using these "sample packs" is definitely not less lazy than creating your own samples from scratch (by recording, by using computer...) and manipulating them.

totally agreed -- afx, squarepusher, amon tobin, vibert, boc, vsnares, etc are not musicians at all

My criticism was aimed at people who are heavily using other people's samples and contribute very little or not at all. Then again I think that the people whom you mentioned don't really give a shit about how people call them.

On a technical level, if you're using a computer to make music, its all sampling just by nature of how buffers and digital output work..

Yeah okay informatically speaking every sound is a collection of samples, but that is a microscopic approach, and I wasn't referring to that kind of samples. By "everyone samples..." I meant people who sample other people's tracks. Here by samples I mean "parts of tracks that can range in duration from the order of say 1 second to the order of say 10 minutes or more, that are used in other person's track, and may or may not be modulated in a certain way, but are still clearly recognizable." This approach is a macroscopic approach when observed from the informatic point of view.

Ok so what do people think about dj shadow's endtroducing?

One of the greatest hip hop records imo and others, but using big chunks of samples and just throwing drum breaks over top...

The "DJ" in his name gives it away. Otherwise yeah he'd be a charlatan.

Archived