IGNORED

Online Dating Horror Stories

Zephyr_Nova

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's exciting!  We're very different in how our life trajectories have played out, upbringing, etc., but we seem to be strikingly similar in all the ways where it actually matters.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:33 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Going on a second date with that woman who I've really been vibing with... meeting up at a lake tomorrow.  Damn this social distancing.  But also, in an unexpected twist, I matched with two other women today, one of whom has Boards of Canada as her top Spotify artist.  Normally this would be great, but given my infatuation with this other woman I perceive it as a threat.  But... of course, most of the time these don't turn into anything, so I have to keep my options open.  Dating is weird.  Dating during pandemics is weirder.  She's obviously reading this, so let's forget I said anything.  Anyone got any good post-pandemic date stories?

This thread is the closest watmm could ever get to being a rom com. Glad it looks like a happy ending.

12 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

does not compute

In this case it does and not because I am superficial. It's because the explanation he provided made no sense and this and the fact that he forgot to mention until our 7th date that he is separated made me very confused and found myself not trusting him. I am a very genuine, open person and the moment I smell that someone hiding things from me on purpose I need to get out. I really think I should stop dating British guys, the cultural difference when it comes to relationships and emotions is just too big.

4 hours ago, ropprecht said:

In this case it does and not because I am superficial. It's because the explanation he provided made no sense and this and the fact that he forgot to mention until our 7th date that he is separated made me very confused and found myself not trusting him. I am a very genuine, open person and the moment I smell that someone hiding things from me on purpose I need to get out. I really think I should stop dating British guys, the cultural difference when it comes to relationships and emotions is just too big.

Good call, intentionally hiding things or being deceitful would be an early red flag for sure. 

Update: deleted my dating apps a few days ago. I realised I am too romantic and still believe in bumping into someone special and I will know then and there. Dating apps are soul crushing in a way.*

*I know there are success stories out there though! 

I was about to delete all my apps when this last woman and I matched (the one I won't shut up about).  We decided to abandon the social distancing thing we'd been attempting for the first while last Friday, and oh man that was the best decision I ever made.  She had Fri-Tues booked off as a holiday from before the "lock down," and we spent most of that time in her bed.  Ridiculous, in the best way.  Tues and Wed I went back to my cabin to cool off, but was invited back last night, and again tonight (heading over in an hour).  We're both weary about burning out on each other... but we also don't really feel like that's possible at this point.  Crazy how compatible we are.  The conversations never suck, we've got long lists of movies, music, etc. to show each other... and the physical side of things is better than I ever imagined it could be.  I'm teaching her guitar, and how to be a Scrabble warrior (last game was a major turning point - if my tiles had been shit the whole way through I think she would have won).  She's teaching me all sorts of cool science/biology stuff, among other things.  So yeah, pretty big success story so far. Total fluke though.  Neither of us were expecting this.

We started chatting March 29, so almost 2 months now.  Her opening message to me was "Hey! Any suggestions for a good soundtrack to the quarantine?"  Which I thought was promising.

SFWA&S is elsewhere. this is ODHS. unless she suddenly turns stabby or something, gtfo with that 'great relationship' and 'happiness' shit

? good for you for real of course 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:59 AM, dingformung said:

silicon based lube is the best, doesn't get dry and sticky so fast

Thanks for the pro-tip.  I just checked, and yes, the kind she ordered is silicone based.  She's good like that.  Also, I swear it arrived the very next day... maybe 2 days after that first Friday where we defied the social distancing.  I was still over for a couple more days after it arrived, along with other provisions.

OH!  There was one moment of genuine horror.  She hadn't been grocery shopping for almost a month, so cooked up Alphaghettis one afternoon.  It's a comfort food for her, a remnant from childhood.  Anyway, as far as products intended to be eaten by humans go, I can't think of anything more repulsive.  I tried two spoonfuls and then said "I'm sorry, I can't do this." 

On the bright side, I didn't vomit... though if I did, it would have been fun to see what words we could find in there.  Something sickeningly cutesy and romantic, I'm sure.

Archived