IGNORED

macos catalina will drop support for 32 bit apps

thawkins

3 hours ago, thawkins said:

So the workaround now is that operating systems find a way to run both 32 and 64 bit applications and I guess that dealing with this complexity is what Apple wants to get rid of.'.

Exactly.

And I’m not even going to blame them for this “courage”. Unlike audio jack inputs, it’s not like a vast majority of users are running 32 bit apps. That writing has been on the wall for a long, long time.

You want to run legacy software? Off to Windows land you go. ?

Voxengo definitely seem happy

10-Oct-2019: Dear Voxengo users,

Voxengo plugins that are newly-installed on macOS Catalina may not work due to bizzare Apple "notarization" requirement.  Previously installed plugins that were installed on the system before Catalina upgrade (e.g. on Mojave) do work without issues.  We will need to upgrade our macOS developer tools and hardware to the latest requirements, and re-release all our plugins before new plugin installations may work.  This will take an undefined amount of time.  If your work relies on Voxengo plugins, upgrading to macOS Catalina is not recommended at this time.

Until further notice, macOS 10.15 Catalina is not officially supported by Voxengo software.

II started to lose the will to live about 2/3s of the way down....might as well of been in Chinese ???

But I do know one thing - there was a time when, for sure, Apple products were worth the extra money, they had a small selection of superior products, but those days are loooong gone. In fact, I could almost say (but I won't) that to spend a tonne of money on an Apple product nowadays is, well, not wise.  Because you can guarantee that there is something better and cheaper available. And who cares if it only lasts a couple of years, that's kind of the point.

And don't get me started on a certain type of Apple fanatic - (it's just a phone, yeah....?) - as we could well witness to the replies to this post. In fact, what am I doing.....I'm sure nobody - quite rightly - has the slightest bit of interest of my opinions of Apple, or anything else for that matter.... 

Ah, that's it!! I knew there was a point to this message apart from stating obvious facts.....

oscillik, or whatever you are calling yourself, or should I just call you 'dude', did your elders not teach you any manners when you were growing up? The OP was simply kindly taking the time to advise other members on certain issues. Maybe you do read every warning and announcement and the labels on milk cartons - well bully for you sir....may I suggest that one gets out a bit more - a bit of fresh air and a good walk might even improve your attitude. 

Anyway, have a wonderful weekend all.....

I installed it on my Mbp which I mostly use for looking at the internet, it's fine nothing dramatic. I had to upgrade to 1password7 because 6 doesn't work with Safari anymore. I don't like subscription based software, it feels like a scam.

Screw your 32bit apps, the 64bit future is NOW old man.

Spoiler

I will not be upgrading the OS on my iMac anytime soon.

I'm still on 10.11 on my 2016 imac and 10.13 on my 2018 mbp. Was thinking of upgrading to 10.14 on both, but I can't now, right? Is there no way to do that? I never downloaded it when the notification came up.

1 hour ago, modey said:

I'm still on 10.11 on my 2016 imac and 10.13 on my 2018 mbp. Was thinking of upgrading to 10.14 on both, but I can't now, right? Is there no way to do that? I never downloaded it when the notification came up.

if you hunt around you can find direct download links for older OSs at apple or you can actually buy the DVD to install for $20 or whatever from the apple store. they have all copies of apple OS going way back so they can do repairs etc on older macs. 

if you ever tried to install an OS but didn't go through w/it then it should be available in your "purchased items" in the app store. i always download but don't install an OS before the new one comes out so i can have it there. i'm always one behind. 

mojave works well btw. at least on my desktop it does. 

We will need to upgrade our macOS developer tools and hardware to the latestrequirements, and re-release all our plugins before new plugininstallations may work.  This will take an undefined amount of time.  If your work relies on Voxengo plugins, upgrading to macOS Catalina is not recommended at this time.

You *always* need to upgrade your macOS developer tools when a new version of the OS comes out. Everyone who develops Mac apps for a living knows that. And no, that does not mean you also need to upgrade your hardware.

Apple makes it so that you can’t just lean back as a software developer to watch the cash roll in for something you wrote ten years ago. You need to actively maintain your stuff and I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

(Unlike releasing beta quality software, which is what they have done now - hat ver much *is* a bad thing).

Voxengo.. aargh.  i begged him for years to make the mac version of the 8 channel convolution processor "Pristine Space" and the deconvolver and the other IR tools he has. they're cool... had used them some on an old windows laptop..  but he didn't do it. said it wasn't possible or didn't have time etc etc..  never really seemed on board w/making the apple side of things so not surprising he's in a tiff over catalina.. i don't know how many apple friendly plug ins he's made.. haven't checked voxengo's site in a long long time. 

ha.. just looked.. they have around 40 plug ins that seem mac friendly so i guess that's a lot of work since apparently not a lot of the process can be automated. 

here's a quote from Urs of u-he:

Our stuff works fine as far as we know - but of course we couldn't test in hosts that don't run on it yet.

We've updated some of our dev machines and were able to meet all requirements for the time past January. In a month or so we'll offer separate notarized installers with just the 64-bit plug-ins. The existing installers (including 32 bit plug-ins) will be maintained in parallel for another year or two.

and another quote from Urs

What was a bit out-of-the-blue for us was the realisation that having 64 bit alone doesn't cut it. Stuff needs a special "hardened runtime" thing which is available only from a relatively new toolchain. That relatively new toolchain doesn't do 32 bit at all *gulp*

Now, because the beta of Catalina is "lenient" for the time being, our stuff simply worked and thus we thought we're good. But it will very likely stop working next year, when that lenient phase is over. Hence, we're going to run a dual approach where our downloads will have new, absolutely safe installers and plug-ins, and an installer with software made from the old toolchain, which contains 32-bit plug-ins. We'll keep later up for a year or two before we finally switch to 64 bit only.

It is not an overly big deal for us. We're setting up a parallel build system with the latest toolchain. It works on individual dev machines, so now we just need an extra script which does an extra step or two and puts two installers into our downloads.

so, there is work to do for devs on the apple side of things and it's par for the course really as every apple update seems to make work for devs... but see above quotes for catalina specific situation. so it goes. 

16 hours ago, david1806 said:

oscillik, or whatever you are calling yourself, or should I just call you 'dude', did your elders not teach you any manners when you were growing up? The OP was simply kindly taking the time to advise other members on certain issues. Maybe you do read every warning and announcement and the labels on milk cartons - well bully for you sir....may I suggest that one gets out a bit more - a bit of fresh air and a good walk might even improve your attitude. 

Anyway, have a wonderful weekend all.....

You're my new favorite user

• 10 months later...

Bumping this old thread to ask: has anyone gone through the Catalina upgrade yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

It seems the 32 bit abolishment change actually has not gone through and I have stopped seeing those errors telling me that my apps are outdated. I don't feel like taking the update leap just yet, but I figured that it may be a good idea because of general stability updates that (I assume) the new version has.

In any case if I need old stuff, I have my old laptop still working and stuck on an old version of OSX anyway, because Apple does not support upgrades to that hardware anymore.

I'm still not happy with the upgrade. Biggest issues seem to be resolved, but there's still a notable drop in performance. It runs hotter. And some unpredictable beachballs when you do stuff like browsing the web with safari.

Could be there's still some legacy software not working gently with the new macos. But I've noticed that developers are less keen to jump through the Apple-hoops nowadays.

If I were you, I'd stick with your current install. If it runs fine, keep it that way. But that's coming from someone who is starting to lose faith in Apple. Never had these experiences with macos after an upgrade. Or rather "upgrade".

1 hour ago, goDel said:

I'm still not happy with the upgrade. Biggest issues seem to be resolved, but there's still a notable drop in performance. It runs hotter. And some unpredictable beachballs when you do stuff like browsing the web with safari.

Could be there's still some legacy software not working gently with the new macos. But I've noticed that developers are less keen to jump through the Apple-hoops nowadays.

If I were you, I'd stick with your current install. If it runs fine, keep it that way. But that's coming from someone who is starting to lose faith in Apple. Never had these experiences with macos after an upgrade. Or rather "upgrade".

Thanks, I think I will stick to what I have for now. I have some quirks but nothing too bad I guess...

I have a version of Mojave also installed on my Mac so I can play older games, considering actually moving my music over to that because some things are a fucking pain. Audacity isn't supported in Catalina which means I had to move to WavePad - not bad, but not ideal.

I'd go back down to Mojave only my iPhone doesn't fucking support versions older than Catalina. 

Apple have gone from "better than Windows" to "not quite as awful as Windows" and seem to be eyeing up "maybe I should just use Windows" as their next marketing strategy. 

Everything went bottom up when I upgraded my laptop. Adobe Audition and Logic couldn't identfy the majority of my plugins and each time it registered one I got a message that said, "This .component file... yeah, I'll just throw it in the trash can for you, ok?"

I get the feeling that a lot of the vendors might be throwing Apple under the bus too quickly because AFAIK the notarization requirements - while being a pain in the ass to adapt to - are necessary for being able to provide a reasonably secure operating system nowadays. After all, those VSTs are often some random pieces of software running in a DAW which probably cares more about the audio quality than defending against any cyber threats.

For comparison, all modern web browsers have a super secure sandbox which attempts to contain most of the really bad stuff, but you are not running a full featured DAW in a browser.

That said, I also recall Apple charging something like 100EUR per year for the luxury of being able to develop software for MacOS/iOS.

Archived