IGNORED

How have you been introduced to Boards of Canada?

Guest bocae

Guest bocae

The first time that I heard BOC music was in the flash animation Salad Fingers. The song was Beware The Friendly Stranger. I liked that track and therefore I began to download some tracks from BOC, such as In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, Sixtyten, Everything You Do Is A Balloon and Basefree. Then I had in mind that I should buy an album from them. It was Music Has The Right To Children.

Guest ambodino mutuumbooo

in 95 when I had to vote for the separation of canada. I was looking for every positive aspect of this country and I found out about BoC, then, I decided to vote for the separation.

i discovered music in 2001 : ) (pastors kid haha)

then Geogaddi in 2002 (5-10 listens)

but it took 4 years for geogaddi to sink in and take over my life :nuke:

haha wow, actually i think beware the friendly stranger was the first time i heard BOC as well, and i was really getting into aphex twin at the time and i didn't really like BOC because they were too calm and strange to me.. but now i don't like afx anymore and only like BOC.

but now every time i hear that song it reminds me of salad fingers :dizzy:

I think it was ROYGBIV which featured on a free NME CD sometime around the release of Music Has The Right. I thought it was awesome. I think I heard them on John Peel some time shortly after which cemented the love.

edit: annual(2).JPG

The worse part is I had no ID so I had to leave the shop in shame. I understand though, I used to sell fags though most of the time I was to lazy to I.D. anyone.

Anyway. BoC eh>

Guest taxman

i bought music has the right to children in 2000. i had never heard any boc but i liked the picture on the cover so i bought it.

Guest bocae
i bought music has the right to children in 2000. i had never heard any boc but i liked the picture on the cover so i bought it.

The "Don't judge a book by its cover" wise sentence is no use with BOC.

Guest PerryH

Heard Alpha and Omega in an online chillout radio station.

Looked it up and ordered Geogaddi. It was the first CD I ever owned. I think I was like 13 :boc::boc::boc::boc:

Guest roygbiv

Yeah, the salad fingers cartoon led me to enter the entire electronic music boc scene really. thank God i found it!

I think it was ROYGBIV which featured on a free NME CD sometime around the release of Music Has The Right. I thought it was awesome. I think I heard them on John Peel some time shortly after which cemented the love.

edit: annual(2).JPG

Same with me - think it was early 98? I was idly flicking through the tracks in my mates kitchen, and when roygbiv came on I was blown away. I bought MHTRTC immediately and got onto napster to find more.

The first time that I heard BOC music was in the flash animation Salad Fingers. The song was Beware The Friendly Stranger. I liked that track and therefore I began to download some tracks from BOC, such as In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, Sixtyten, Everything You Do Is A Balloon and Basefree. Then I had in mind that I should buy an album from them. It was Music Has The Right To Children.

great story

Guest Moebius

Mike and I were hanging around one day talking about zen gnosticism and color harmonic theory when he says "btw, check this out" and gave me a tape.

Guest felttipen

i liked afx so i wanted to find similar music, looked on warp. bought several warp artist albums e.g autechre, squarepusher,plaid afx and boc, and more shamefully mira calix, two lone swordsman who are complete shit. anyway bought boc album geogaddi, listened to it and it sounded ok. i didnt like the repetitiveness at first. that was about 5 yrs ago and now i cant listen to much else other than electronicy music(DNB now 2). the 1st track i ever listened 2 was whitewater from winmx after i was recommended boc from a friend( who also introducred me into afx tracks after i mentioned i liked windowlicker) weird thing was i never really takied to him that much, he wasnt really a friend.

by the way... salad fingers, that introed u into boc. weird.

Guest BlueIgloo

I'd first became aware of BoC through Amazon. i was checking out advance reviews of Kid A or Amnesiac or both and scroled down to the 'customers who bought this album also bought albums by....' section of the page. i was instantly curious cos the name was so off-kilter.

i then read a Thom Yorke interview in 2002 and he mentioned BoC as an influence on the recent material, so i downloaded some random BoC tracks, the first track being 'Alpha and Omega', and never looked back. Been bonkers about them ever since.

I was listening to my own radiostation on Launch on the Yahoo when The Colour of the Fire came on...it was extremely fucked up...so I went searching for more material...bought both MHTRTC and Geogaddi a week later

I first heard boc on a late night film noir style cd compilation called '3am Eternal' in early 1999 which I bought on a uni trip to Amsterdam. I remember we all got back to this big dorm in the Terminus Hotel right off the Damrak (a real shithole of a hotel it needs to be said) and put in on the ghetto blaster. It had some artists on it that I recognised on the tracklist, such as Hofner and Kid Loco and the likes. We were all stoned as fuck and fell asleep after a short while..but left the cd on repeat. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and slowly coming to, could hear this mad shit on the player with some woman counting numbers and a geezer talkin about oranges. It stoked me out...i was white widowed to fuck but loved this shit coming out of the speakers. That was the moment I found BoC.

It wasn't until about 3 years later though that I acquired my first orginal release (I was a stingy bastard and rarely bought CDs..though had spent a fortune over those years on dance vinyl as I dabbled with DJ wankery). I found myself holding a package from Warp in 2002, which had been sent to me at work (same place I work now) as a sort of thank you for having done a wee feature on the history of Warp in our magazine at the time. Inside was some releases including Sote and Prefuse73 along with Geogaddi on CD and vinyl...I seem to remember there were 2 copies of Geo, both special editions, and one might have gone to Mosca... perhaps he can recall? Anyway - I kept the Geo Cd and vinyl...and that was the start of my collection.

from what i can recall..

heard IABPOITC (track) after getting some painkillers from the hospital, after being assaulted a few days before. I had a broken molar and didn't realize my jaw was broken until several days later (after seeing the dentist) as the pain got worse. But that spring morning i heard the track in my girlfriend's car, as we were descending through a parking garage. it was on some label mix (not warp), and then the sun beating on the windshield. it was the most sublime thing ever.

then i found MHTRTC in a public library, later on that year (2001)

Same with me - think it was early 98? I was idly flicking through the tracks in my mates kitchen, and when roygbiv came on I was blown away. I bought MHTRTC immediately and got onto napster to find more.

Not to sound like a bitter unoriginal cunt, but the NME really have gone shit now havent they. Look at the bands featured on that CD, compare it to now when a free CD will most likely include the Stokes, Razorlight, the Arctic Monkeys etc etc etc.

actually i was fingering this girl when BOC came on the stereo out of nothing. it was oscar see through redeye. it assuaged us with these balmy tones of chill meloncholy and prickly melody, carried by a semi-confident beat. it made me feel like we were on a little odyessy. i felt ok about the certanties of life.

Archived