IGNORED

Behringer 303 anyone?

TheBro

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Yeah, I mean, it doesn't really matter how "authentic" it sounds because you should be running it through something like this anyhow:

digitech-pds-1550-double-distortion-2647

Now *THAT* gives me the GAS

6 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Now *THAT* gives me the GAS

They're really cheap, go for it.  You won't regret it, trust me. It's like a Boss HM-2, a Tube Screamer, a Realistic Electronic Reverb and a fully parametric EQ* in one pedal and you can get them for less than half the price of this Behringer.

A lot of 80s DOD/Digitech stuff sounds great and is really underpriced these days, especially their flangers and choruses.

EDIT: don't be fooled by the Digitech logo, this is a fully analog pedal.  The "programmable" part is just a euphamism for "half of the controls are DIP switches that you have to open it up to change" and as far as I can tell they the double-wide pedals were always sold as Digitech and the single wide were always DOD, regardless of whether they were analog or digital.  There are a lot of people on guitar forums who think this is a "digital distortion pedal" and that probably helps keep them as cheap as they are.  https://electricdruid.net/digitech-pds-1550-distortion-pedal-analysis/

*Sort of; the HM-2 is basically an exact clone but the tone controls are DIP switches inside; the Tube Screamer half is similar but not exactly the same, and the analog delay is just a single tap with on/off and three preset delay times selectable from the DIP switch.  But the reason to get it is to use the HM-2 side set up to do the standard "everything all the way up" sound and then play with the parametric EQ - running the x0xb0x into it and tweaking the filter with one hand and the PDD1550 EQ with the other hand at the same time is GREAT. The only real problem with it is that when you use the Tube Screamer mode there's a pretty noticeable volume drop compared to bypass, even with everything on 10.

Here's a clip of a random hardware jam I recorded a few weeks ago highlighting the PDS1550:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd41q6mcstma2b7/x0x-PDS1550-demo.mp3?dl=0

x0xb0x into the 1550, with the dry out from the 1550 going into the mic input of a Realistic Electronic Reverb and the line out of that blended with the main output of the 1550.  Mostly I'm switching the distortion modes and sweeping the center frequency of the EQ with the bandwith at its narrowest setting and boos all the way up.

23 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Same with a Volca

I actually kind of like the Volca Bass more than the 303. It's a different kind of sound, but I find it's wobblier and more fun to play with.

13 hours ago, Braintree said:

I actually kind of like the Volca Bass more than the 303. It's a different kind of sound, but I find it's wobblier and more fun to play with.

I've never really dug into the Bass but I've always felt that Keys acid should be a thing.

17 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Here's a clip of a random hardware jam I recorded a few weeks ago highlighting the PDS1550:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd41q6mcstma2b7/x0x-PDS1550-demo.mp3?dl=0

x0xb0x into the 1550, with the dry out from the 1550 going into the mic input of a Realistic Electronic Reverb and the line out of that blended with the main output of the 1550.  Mostly I'm switching the distortion modes and sweeping the center frequency of the EQ with the bandwith at its narrowest setting and boos all the way up.

Stop it ... you're giving me GAS.

19 hours ago, Braintree said:

I like the Volca Bass sounds I've heard a lot, but I really dislike the Volca sequencer.  I've had a couple Volcas over the years and I always end up trading them again in a matter of months. 

What I'd love to see is something that was Volca size or maybe even slightly smaller that had a multi-track version of the classic 303 sequencer with MIDI and CV i/o but no actual synth. No market for that at all probably, but having maybe 4 tracks of 303 style sequencing in a little desktop box that also worked as a hub to get MIDI and CV gear working together, to use with the big selection of existing desktop synths that are floating around these days would be excellent.

19 hours ago, sheatheman said:

This looks nicer than the volca stuff though.

There are more effects on the Behringer 303, so you definitely get more squelch for your buck.

4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I like the Volca Bass sounds I've heard a lot, but I really dislike the Volca sequencer.  I've had a couple Volcas over the years and I always end up trading them again in a matter of months. 

What I'd love to see is something that was Volca size or maybe even slightly smaller that had a multi-track version of the classic 303 sequencer with MIDI and CV i/o but no actual synth. No market for that at all probably, but having maybe 4 tracks of 303 style sequencing in a little desktop box that also worked as a hub to get MIDI and CV gear working together, to use with the big selection of existing desktop synths that are floating around these days would be excellent.

I never use the Volca sequencer. I always use it with a DAW.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:35 PM, rhmilo said:

I've never really dug into the Bass but I've always felt that Keys acid should be a thing.

Stop it ... you're giving me GAS.

I kinda did Volca Keys acid a few years back, turned out alright. I do miss the Keys actually, it's got a really unique gritty sound.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:57 AM, d-a-m-o said:

also, for those interested, the RE-606 is coming soon

oh shit if the final production model is white I'm getting one for sure.. even though I've got a friend's 606 on indefinite loan.

2 hours ago, modey said:

I kinda did Volca Keys acid a few years back, turned out alright. I do miss the Keys actually, it's got a really unique gritty sound.

It did indeed turn out alright.?

My own attempts at Keys acid are collected on this four track EP: http://pakasem.bandcamp.com/album/joget-modern

Some of the Keys lines are sequenced on the device itself, others in the DAW.

It's a wonderful little box, really. Should probably hook it up again sometime.

Just now, user said:

Yeah, I wonder if it's possible to do something like a diy devilfish mod on this.

it totally should be, I dont know what the internals are exactly but surely there are possibilities 

I assume this has a lot of surface mount parts in it for manufacturing efficiency reasons, so that would make modding a bit more of a hassle but it might also mean that there's a bunch of unused space inside to work with, too. 

I assume a surface mount 303 board would be about the size of a credit card.

Nah, it's the Korg Microsampler that everyone's going to say that about.  I wish I'd had the money to get one when they were still floating around relatively cheap.

It's got all the right ingredients  - bad sales, weird design, weird workflow, didn't really fit an existing niche.  All it needs is for a few people to do some forward-thinking, influential tracks with it.

Archived