IGNORED

Good Radio Stations

Richie Sombrero

Got an internet radio (fucking class) and trying to find good local stations around the world or internet stations.

Currently listening to:

WWOZ - heritage station from New Orleans playing jazz etc...

Half is Enough Radio playing minimal out of Romania.

Looking good recommendations for banging stations from around the world. Obv aware of NTS etc...

• Like 2

Good question. Was going to ask this question myself but you beat me to it.

What I’ve found so far:

Limbik Frequencies : IDM. Mostly older / classic stuff.

Soma FM cliqhop : IDM, I guess, but often of the non-threatening, background muzak variety.

Some other Soma FM channels are decent, too. Sonic Universe does modern slick jazz (what used to be called “acid jazz”). Personally I’m rather partial to Illinois Street Lounge: 1950s easy listening and lounge. Fun for about thirty minutes.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

bump!

need a good radio show to listen to, was thinking Tom Ravenscroft but not sure, thinking there maybe better but clueless

sometimes I look at my old dusty NTS app and think I should blow the cobwebs off that, any shows to recommend?

stuck in a listening rut, a need digging out of a hole

ecelectic mix of new and old electronic, drone/experimental metal, psychedelic shit, left field pop etc

thanks!

• Like 1

The station I play on:  https://www.sub.fm/

Almost 20 years old. Ton of great DJ's past and present. Hessle Audio started there (Ruffage Sessions).

Station @bronchuseven (as Sriracha) plays on: https://sharedfrequencies.live/

Up and coming station. Whole lot of new music to discover. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, iococoi said:

Charlie Bones, former NTS Do!! You!!! Breakfast Show host is running his own thing now. Mo-Fr 10-13 and some guest hosts/shows. everything gets archived on mixcloud...

https://doyou.world/

https://doyou.world/pages/mixtape

Gonna check this out today ?

• Big Brain 1

19 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Gonna check this out today ?

tuesday is usually 'live' tuesday, where he dedicates some part of the show to an iconic live performance/concert. great stuff though..pavement, bill evans, gregory isaacs

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Holy guacamole I have a work van with a DAB radio! My usual hunk of ancient junk I drive well the gearbox almost exploded and fell out yesterday. 

Anyway credit where credit’s due I’ve been listening to Mary Anne Hobbs this morning and she’s been playing some super tip-top tracks. And she’s also dropped the annoying vocal style she seemed to have which is an added bonus. Excellent show Hoof it!

40 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Holy guacamole I have a work van with a DAB radio! My usual hunk of ancient junk I drive well the gearbox almost exploded and fell out yesterday. 

Anyway credit where credit’s due I’ve been listening to Mary Anne Hobbs this morning and she’s been playing some super tip-top tracks. And she’s also dropped the annoying vocal style she seemed to have which is an added bonus. Excellent show Hoof it!

radio 6 is overall very good. i can't think of another popular station that caters for most audiences as well as that. where else would you hear squarepusher, outkast, black flag, aretha franklin and basinski back to back?

Edited by Kennylogg Bubblebath
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

where else would you hear squarepusher, outkast, black flag, aretha franklin and basinski back to back?

Coldcut Solid Steel (the broadest beats)!  I realize it is (was?) a radio show and not a station per say but the depth and breadth of guests djs and styles over the years is just this.  I've got a GBs worth of downloaded/streamripped shows stretching back to the oughts, like books on a shelf that you've read but mostly forgot bud don't mind because which one you pick up is like a new adventure you know will be great.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:59 PM, Summon Dot E X E said:

I really enjoy cliqhop. I've discovered lots of good music there.

I'm impressed these shows still exist.  I member listening to them on Winamp circa Y2K.  Monkeyradio still seems to exist too which is wild, I owe he/them a lot of credit for exposing me to a lot of great electronica then at a time when there weren't many other ways to tap in.  Even better it opened my mind/ears to the idea that there are worlds of music ever further out to explore, and just how limited a the music available to a kid growing up in 1990s suburbia was.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...