IGNORED

Unknown Artists - Withhold Series

gated

• 1 month later...

I found out about this label quite late. I don't mind the way of releasing from an artist- or label point-of-view at all.

I do mind it however not because of them, but because of people's greediness, e.g. discogs sellers who buy all records off the shelve and then resell it for crazy amounts.

I never get expensive second hand records, did however get a sealed copy of wh01 this week for 23 Euros (which is 30 inc. shipping) from a Discogs Seller. 30 Euro I would find too much for a record, but damn this was worth it. Am absolutely in love with the vinyl!! Still I know the same seller has all the other withholds on stock for 49 EUR a piece and I fell ready to send him a hate-mail.

Edited by e-mertz

same comment as everyone else: phenomenal music, but ridiculous that they are still withholding digital release

ultimately, in these situations, people without a vinyl player (and who refuse to get vinyl players for various reasons) just pirate.  this exculsivity makes no sense, i can't imagine it helps artists.  indeed it causes their art to be locked away... it's even more offensive when the website has short digital samples; clearly they've digitized it already...

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

anyone know if (a) the identities are known, (b) if there's any plan for digital releases?

i still listen to these fondly, but have not purchased them, as i have no vinyl player.  i would gladly buy them in digital form, AND buy further (digital) releases from the artists if i knew their identities.

this situation is pretty awful

• Like 1

well the Jaffa Kid and Uf0 ones are pretty well known now, and I think there is a comment on Discogs about WH07 being Dawl, which I think is accurate (I don't have inside info, I just think it's fairly obvious). WH012 is Kanyalang - the digitals for the B side of the vinyl are available here: https://truthradio.bandcamp.com/album/dem-feels

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gated said:

well the Jaffa Kid and Uf0 ones are pretty well known now, and I think there is a comment on Discogs about WH07 being Dawl, which I think is accurate (I don't have inside info, I just think it's fairly obvious). WH012 is Kanyalang - the digitals for the B side of the vinyl are available here: https://truthradio.bandcamp.com/album/dem-feels

thanks for info.  i guess no one knows about who4; that one's my favorite.

i just checked and i'm at roughly 300 albums in my bandcamp collection.  i'd gladly add who4 and multiple others by the artist if i could...

(edit, to be clear, i bring up the 300 to try to give evidence that i'd really put my money where my words are, if i could.  probably most people here consider this collection small.)

Edited by conjugacy

On 11/29/2020 at 9:04 AM, gated said:

WH012 is Kanyalang - the digitals for the B side of the vinyl are available here: https://truthradio.bandcamp.com/album/dem-feels

I think those two Kanyalang tracks from Dem Feels are the A side as listed on the WH012 clear version, the album cover info and the WH012 black version have the track names and durations jumbled.

• 8 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 3:02 PM, dcom said:

Oh, and I really don't understand the hubbub around Withhold, there's a couple of nice tracks here and there but most of it's mediocre fare riding on limited edition artificial scarcity - although that is exactly what floats my boat, so I'm a bit conflicted.

Cognitive dissonance aside, I caved and splurged on all three bundles, WH01-06 (black vinyl), WH07-12 (black vinyl), and WH013-18 (coloured vinyl). If I'd had to pick them up second hand piecemeal I wouldn't have bothered, but the bundles were comfortably available from Bandcamp through Under The Radar and Thee J Johanz, and I had some loose change jingling in my pocket. My Dork Passenger (i.e. The Collector) is ecstatic, let's see what the more sensible Music Lover subpersona thinks when the lot arrives.

Edited by dcom

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The compilation is pretty cool, it just sucks that there is no digital. :cry:

Edited by ARPA

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...