IGNORED

Civilization was a mistake

zlemflolia

Systematic complexity fragments, colonizes, debases daily life.  Division of labor, its motor, diminishes humanness in its very depths, dis-abling and pacifying us.  This de-skilling specialization, which gives us the illusion of competence, is a key, enabling predicate of domestication.

-John Zerzan - Twilight of the Machines

Not only is civilization turning us into something less than sheep - most of us, if set loose in the wild, would not survive - but it's forcing us to turn our very souls into material objects for consumption by others, for the benefit of the even fewer other

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the alien's chill cruise in his cool car ended up better than those poor fellers. I reckon the alien would want better for us humans. 

I dunno, the series has had like 25 years. I still haven't gotten around to playing Civ VI though. Tough to choose between IV and V. I think V might edge it, but that's just cause of the introduction of the hex grid. Fun times though!

BTW,

but it's forcing us to turn our very souls into material objects for consumption by others, for the benefit of the even fewer other

Sounds like the very definition of posting on an IDM forum on the internet to me.

17 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I dunno, the series has had like 25 years. I still haven't gotten around to playing Civ VI though. Tough to choose between IV and V. I think V might edge it, but that's just cause of the introduction of the hex grid. Fun times though!

The original Civ for DOS is unbeatable. *not in the impossible to win sense. **wait... is it possible to beat the original civ???

Civilization is ok, as long as it doesn't shit into its own bowl. Which unfortunately seems to be the case ATM.

If you want to survive in wilderness, learn it. There are many ways to do it.

2 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

The original Civ for DOS is unbeatable. *not in the impossible to win sense.

I loved the original Civ, but it really does suffer from the limitation in computing power that was available at the time. It was still amazing fun! Many a weekend spent saying "just one more turn..."

I always cheat the shit out of civ and go straight into the stealth bombers. Great way to lose interest as well. Never spent more than an hour with civ. Can't be arsed to invest time. 

4 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:
23 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

Calling it right now the next @Zeffolia topic is gonna b antinatalism

antinatalism is eugenics and is nazi shit

wut? not at all, from my understanding the discussion is actually v nuanced iirc the argument goes

people who haven't been born have not consented to being born

n it goes from there

is p hard to argue against (edit: hard in that it takes time to go trough, not "difficult" in some other sense)

Nuclear Neo-Pagan Apocalyptic Satanic Deathcult Onslaught Part 1: (March Of The Leper Monks Towards A Bloodsoaked Megalith) 

1 minute ago, MIXL2 said:

wut? not at all, from my understanding the discussion is actually v nuanced iirc the argument goes

n it goes from there

is p hard to argue against 

the value of consent requirements exist because of the potential to end up not consenting, which is not present in nonexistent individuals, who can withdraw their consent and end their existence at any time, eliminating the harm provided by the reproducer

1 minute ago, Zeffolia said:
4 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

n it goes from there

is p hard to argue against 

the value of consent requirements exist because of the potential to end up not consenting, which is not present in nonexistent individuals, who can withdraw their consent and end their existence at any time, eliminating the harm provided by the reproducer

yes this is a road u can go down by, I haven't argued the positive for this often but I'm p sure an antinatalist would refute this in a couple of ways..

rationalwiki redirects to here, it has a couple of arguments for it.

(just to clarify I'm not advocating for this just sayn)

Archived