IGNORED

Nevermind - 20 years ago...

goDel

1991 was the year dorky potheads took over the world. suddenly, teenage angst was the norm. if you weren't a dork, you weren't cool. and vice versa. to be totally honest, i still don't understand why it got as big as it did.

http://gu.com/p/32x8p

That they looked not so much like up-and-coming rock stars as kids whose parents had left them to their own devices – and whose activities may have included bouncing on the beds and making prank phone calls – was heartening, as I was thoroughly sick of the slick interviews I'd been encountering with top-40 rock outfits. Our conversation encompassed homemade tattoos and why Cobain chose the K symbol for his, representing the Washington indie label of the same consonant; that night's free-for-the-fans Metallica party at Madison Square Gardens that they were eager to get into; and how much they loved the trailblazing Sonic Youth.

The fact that within the next few years Nirvana would pave the way for Sonic Youth and other like-minded alternative groups to find a larger audience, as Nevermind toppled pop giant Michael Jackson from his number one spot on the US Billboard charts, was impossible to forecast from this early 90s vantage point, where Bryan Adams's "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" had been dominating both British and American airwaves for weeks. There was something in this Seattle-based band's songs, live performance and attitude that quickly set the rock 'n' roll industry on its ear, so that what had once been considered an underground sound would emerge to wreak havoc on conventional record chart rankings and traditional music business models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWVZjL9WD4

http://www.guardian....n-seattle-music

i was forced to either enjoy nirvarna or be a disliked outcast when i was 12-13, and while its all very well and good to stick to your guns once you arent a fat little saddo teenager who likes korn, back then it would of been social suicide. i hate almost every tune ive ever heard

it was the same in skateboarding circles. everyone seemed to think that if you skated you had to listen to suicidal tendencies and megadeath and all sorts of shit i couldn't abide. i said fuck em and listened to electronic music.

i was in the middle of my teenage angst period and very susceptible to anything which had three cords and depressive lyrics. and like a true idm'er couldn't fit in with the grunge crowd. the drunken jesus look just wasn't mine to wear. but looking back at it, it had some empowering effect on all the potheads, i guess. in an instant they all became musicians in one way or another. which is always good.

Edited by goDel

I don't think grunge or Nirvana impacted well on the world in any way

!!! what a blasphemy!!!

totally agree. ^ a Foo Fighters fan, possibly.

i will no longer listen to anything Coalbucket PI has to say on anything.

meh, it's not bad. i was 14 at the time, and it was definitely a pivotal album for me, it led me on to much better things.

but when i listen to it now, compared to bleach or in utero the super-commercial production annoys the shit out of me.

Edited by kaini

i loved Nevermind when it came out. there's some brilliant, catchy, pop-rock songs on there and i think the songs and style at that time went well with Butch Vig's production. just like the Pumpkins 'Siamese Dream' sounded really good produced by Butch, too.

i prefer In Utereo, tho, overall. - the sound, the style, the production and the songs. also Incesticide is awesomely good.

Bleach is a good first album for a bunch of 21 year olds, but a lot of the songs are in that 70's metal vien and sound like shit, production wise. also the druming is pretty pants, (Chad). still some great songs on there and you can't beat some of those screams. but thank god they got rid of Jason Everman and Chad Channing early on.

meh, it's not bad. i was 14 at the time, and it was definitely a pivotal album for me, it led me on to much better things.

but when i listen to it now, compared to bleach or in utero the super-commercial production annoys the shit out of me.

that was the whole point, tho! the commercial sounding production. to "debase every pop format". that was their foot in the door...! then they could fuck around with the establishment and piss people off after that.

but sadly it all went wrong and came to an end way too soon.

Guest fiznuthian

i fucking love nirvana still, after all of these years...

especially in utero. fuck its so good.

popularity aside, cobain was an incredible songwriter, no one can deny that.

Guest mollekula

IN UTERO, the masterpiece, that was the real genius of Cobain. after the huge success of Nevermind (which indeed had amazing tracks) that made him sick, its obvious that this is the kind of music that Cobain dreamed of. A unique album with a unique sound. i love all these dirty noises and feedback sounds. this man was an original lunatic

Edited by mollekula

nirvana was good but i can understand why kurt cobain killed himself. i remember at one of my first junior high dances i went up to the dj and had him play helmet - unsung. me and my friends started a moshpit (this was before anyone knew about moshing) and one of the teachers had to tell the dj to stop the song and yelled at everyone over the mic. this was around the same time that nirvana came out. well, not to be outdone, the long haired -what-would-have-been emo kids went up to the dj after and asked him to play that untitled hidden nirvana track at the end of nevermind which basically sucks, and they sat there in front of the speakers headbanging.

I wasn't a huge nirvana fan, but I dug them. In Utero was the only release I bought of theirs. Back then I was really into Alice In Chains Dirt release... But I was more of a Raver, Industrial, House Music, Hip Hop, Shoegaze guy so I didn't pay much attention to the grunge stuff. Couple years later I discovered Aphex and that was it.