IGNORED

I've Been Asked To Speak at SXSW 2015 About The CAT023 Kickstarter

Joyrex

Kickstarter approached me recently asking if I would be interested and willing to be on a Music Discussion Panel at SXSW (South By Southwest) 2015 this upcoming March in Austin, TX.

This is very much the story of music communities coming together to make great things. They'll be using the CAT023 project as a highlighted example of how fans and artists can come together and use Kickstarter in unique and exciting ways, beyond the traditional expectation of musicians using the site to fund new album recordings. Joining me on panel, if it is selected, will be fellow Kickstarter creators and musicians, Seth Olinsky and DJ QBert.

Part of getting the panel to be chosen and included in SXSW is community voting - so, if you'd like to support the idea, go over and register and vote on SXSW: http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/vote/33675

If you are not already registered, you can do so here: https://auth.sxsw.com/users/sign_up

We won't know if the panel is selected to be presented at SXSW until this Fall after voting closes.

Here's the breakdown on how panels get selected from SXSW's site:

"Voting from the public accounts for about 30% of the decision-making process for SXSW panel programming. Also important in this decision-making process are the SXSW Advisory Boards (40%) and the input of the SXSW staff (30%)."

Voting lasts until September 5th at Midnight CST!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

"Someone on the forum suggested it, Richard and Grant thought it was quite good, lots of people paid for it and proved established business models in music mean nothing.

Lesson over. Stay in school, kids."

*mic drop*

(Congrats JR, hope you get picked)

I was (and am) kinda nervous about speaking in front of potentially 100's of people, but hell, you only live once!

I just tried to write something to give a bit of advice but then realised that I have no idea how to put into words what I wanna say.

Only thing I can think of is:

what you have to say about this whole situation is important. people will want to hear about it, and you have the right to be able to give your perspective. you've been living music for many years. you're gonna get to speak passionately about it, in front of a willing audience.

relish it. like a quite good pizza

"Someone on the forum suggested it, Richard and Grant thought it was quite good, lots of people paid for it and proved established business models in music mean nothing.

Lesson over. Stay in school, kids."

*mic drop*

(Congrats JR, hope you get picked)

I should TOTALLY do that! :emotawesomepm9:

May i be the first to say, lol.

Also for the love of muffins, someone go to that panel and take a photo of joyrex for the pics of your self thread. He can't hide in an open forum. haha. finally!!

I was (and am) kinda nervous about speaking in front of potentially 100's of people, but hell, you only live once!

I just tried to write something to give a bit of advice but then realised that I have no idea how to put into words what I wanna say.

Only thing I can think of is:

what you have to say about this whole situation is important. people will want to hear about it, and you have the right to be able to give your perspective. you've been living music for many years. you're gonna get to speak passionately about it, in front of a willing audience.

relish it. like a quite good pizza

Oh, certainly - thankfully, I'll have plenty of time (potentially) to think about it - unless of course it's a free-form panel discussion, where some moderator throws out questions that we may or may not know beforehand...

May i be the first to say, lol.

Also for the love of muffins, someone go to that panel and take a photo of joyrex for the pics of your self thread. He can't hide in an open forum. haha. finally!!

I'll be wearing a Deadmau5-like mask to conceal my identity - trust me, it's for the best!

Oh, I guess these are the questions:

1. What made the Aphex Twin project such a success on Kickstarter and what about it resonated?
  2. How can Kickstarter be used to break free from the traditional album release cycle?
  3. How can Kickstarter be used as a distribution platform?
  4. What new opportunities does Kickstarter present for community building online?
  5. What are ways to engage fans beyond simply asking them to buy a record?

Guest jasondonervan

someone needs to videotape it!

or is this event already broadcast? =/

lol, one faint sniff of Joyrex appearing at a public event later and watmms goes into full on 'release the hounds' mode!

*opens photoshop*

*awaits footage*

11900308-evil-looking-businessman-clasps

Oh, he's rather handsome - I wonder if I could get a mask made to look like that... with LED eyes!

You should wear a mask of Richard James' face, obviously.

Also congrats! Just remember: most people will be drunk so any mistakes will probably not be noticed.

Pfft - this is the internet! If I blink funny they'll notice!

Archived