IGNORED

L-Event: One Year Since newbound Material

Ceqn

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diffain was a grower for me, didn't like it on first listen, but loved osla straight away for some reason lol.

But after a few listens Diffain showed it's power, sure I've mentioned before the alien cave imagery it gave me, nice work Rob,

According to AAA, tac Lacora and Osla for n was made by Sean, and according to this article, M39 Diffain was made by Rob

As far as I can tell this whole sentence is false, could you point to the specific line in the AAA doc?

At best, it suggests that they had a strong hand in the respective tracks.

Yeah, i know that it is just speculation

ExtraLife

What is the first track you play for people that have never heard you before?

Sean:
i had a guy round fixing my boiler a couple of years ago when i was doing tac lacora so i played him that cos he was asking

he just said 'who listens to this then? loads of guys sitting in their houses smoking weed?'
and i went 'yeah, pretty much'

northernplastic:

So you worked on tac lacora for several years? Impressive.

Sean:

nah it was done in a week or so, i was playing him the edit

the original live jam was done in a few hours tho, a few months before that
Jev:
L-Event is very night-time stuff for me. It seems to not have enough impact during daytime, especially Osla for n. I mean I can hear the, lets say, compisitional logic in those tracks during daytime but at night real emotions come into it and everything seems more enjoyable.

One of my theories is that brain tends to make up more things into the tracks yet in reality those things are not there. I mean sleep has to have effect on the brain comparable with passing out because that is how brain defends itself and the body so that you don't feel pain anymore etc. So maybe the brain is making up things to "sound better" then they really are? But I am not saying that L-Event suck during daytime :-D not at all
Sean:
:) daytime is just noisier imo
osla for n was made at night

It's not my favorite Autechre, I gave it a listen yesterday and liked it more than before but just like Exai, I never gave it enough time for it to "click" as I did with other Ae albums - the main difference being that this time I don't feel like I should give it more time to develop...I'm not very fond of their new "style" on L-Event and the Krakow set, I don't know, maybe I have to learn again how to listen to Ae :) !

oh yeah haha totally forgot about that. I was really inspired by that track. Will check out your attempt. I tried a few of my own but failed. just turning feedback up and down on a dry track that has a comb filter on it seems to create out of control volume spikes. It seems like if you find just the right kind of delay/comb setup to play with it can turn out cool, otherwise with most delay effects it sounds too sloppy.

i know this is an autechre thread, but going back to the 'trick war' that Sean mentioned, Squarepusher and AE were neck and neck between this track and Gantz Graf. Arguably Graf is more of a feat because the whole song relies on the comb filter/delay effect, it's the backbone of the track. Squarepusher uses it more as a primary melody layer on top of also complex beats

had this really turned out as one of the sides of exai it would've been my fav along the one with spl9. the respective beginnings of tac (4 to the floor part) and osla (asthmatic microwave) = mindblowing stuffs, moar!

I've only really listened to it once this year, as I listened to it a hell of a lot in the last quarter of 2013. It was a strong-ish EP from ae (the soundscape development across the first 3 tracks in particular is stellar), 2013 was just a really great year for ae in general. On first listen, Osla for n was the track which really grabbed me, and whilst not being a flawless masterpiece, I still think it is the hypnotic behemoth of the release, it's one of the most richly intriguing tracks to come along from them since Untilted. Tac Lacora lost a fraction of its lustre after overplaying, whilst newbound generally improved with each listen. M39 Diffain for me is the piece which really links together the whole EP, it plays an important structural role, so I rarely think of it in individual terms.

I listened to this once a while after it came out and thought it was dumb. But this has really grown on me very fast just recently. I like the whole thing. M39 Diffain sounds a lot like Beatcroff Slabs to me but still great. I remember listening to tac Lacora on shitty headphones and I also thought the coughing was ridiculous but after listening on decent headphones I love it, the vocal filter is so weird and subtle and they definitely took a chance on that weird rhythm. newbound is one of the prettiest, most affecting things I've ever heard from them, with just the right amount of cheez and bombast, delicious. I think I'm going to listen to it again...

OK so I'm giving it regular spins for a few days, it's the perfect soundtrack to play Binding of Isaac for :emotawesomepm9: !

tac lacora might be the only track I don't get yet, and Osla for n probably my favorite yet ! (perfect evolution from A to Z). The whole thing flows well together : thanks WATMM for making me re-discover that EP !

as any other ae this one needs time

It's funny though, I was really disappointed by Oversteps for a long time. Then last year I felt like I finally got it. And now I feel again like it's their weakest release and I rarely feel the need to listen to it again. The algorithmic melodies and rhythms and the textures in Exai, L-Event, and even Move of Ten are noticeably more evolved and interesting.

It's funny though, I was really disappointed by Oversteps for a long time. Then last year I felt like I finally got it. And now I feel again like it's their weakest release and I rarely feel the need to listen to it again. The algorithmic melodies and rhythms and the textures in Exai, L-Event, and even Move of Ten are noticeably more evolved and interesting.

Yeah, the sound design in Oversteps was maybe more "redundant" than the one in Exai, but I think it was more enjoyable as well. I don't know why but Exai never pleased me as much as Oversteps did, probably because it was easier to sink into Oversteps, and it was more cohesive - I still think Exai's a bit long and I can't listen to it in its entirety even when I split it in two :shrug:

Yeah, the sound design in Oversteps was maybe more "redundant" than the one in Exai, but I think it was more enjoyable as well. I don't know why but Exai never pleased me as much as Oversteps did, probably because it was easier to sink into Oversteps, and it was more cohesive - I still think Exai's a bit long and I can't listen to it in its entirety even when I split it in two :shrug:

hah! the first few months of listening to oversteps gave nothing much to me, except for several beautiful tracks (melodies) that got me immediately like pt2ph8, seeonsee and Treale, and i was like: ''da fak?! is this all? i'll have to wait another 2-3 yrs for something good?''

of course. i was wrong, again. now i see that it's a work of genius as any other ae. i'm listening to it more and more with every day now.

also, the cover art is appropriate imo. it is an endless hole, either cause it constantly pulling you deeper and deeper or cause you never know what next is gonna come out of it. l-event is similar, just more 'in-your-face'.

I like how the first 2 tracks kind of mesh together to form this huge onslaught,

then we have the 2 last tracks as polar opposites of each other.

I love how autechre master both claustrophobic menacing moods and sweeping optimistic atmospheres and osla for n and newbound are perfect examples of this.

I like how the first 2 tracks kind of mesh together to form this huge onslaught,

then we have the 2 last tracks as polar opposites of each other.

I love how autechre master both claustrophobic menacing moods and sweeping optimistic atmospheres and osla for n and newbound are perfect examples of this.

you're getting an optimistic atmosphere out of newbound?

Overall optimistic yeah, it's a subdued solem hope. Like you're leaving a dying planet and you're gazing at it for the last time through a spacecraft window. At the same time there's unborn hope and anticipation inside for what's to come.

Archived