IGNORED

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez 12 ALBUMS

My fave musician is back with 12 albums bi-weekly from this Friday on Ipecac. Sworn Virgins is out there and amazing, clearly Noctourniquet Volta era.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/omar-rodriguez-lopez-on-epic-solo-album-series-new-at-the-drive-in-lp-20160711

Amazing interview.

http://ipecac.com/news/534

oh shit. will have to investigate. some of his stuff is really great. Deloused in the Comatorium is one of my favorite things on the planet

yaaay. been wondering about his solo stuff since he stopped releasing.

Although, after reading the interview im a little scared. so this is the stuff that DIDNT make the cut in 2008-2013?

also: "I told them Chris Common did a better mix of this record that Zach Hill played on, and I wanted to put it out again. That sort ignited the whole thing"

if hes talking about cryptonmesia then thank god i always thought that was mixed to shit.

Aww yeah, I'm all in on this. I'm sure not all albums will float my boat, but I do love me some Volta/Omar action. Sworn Virgins is pretty good. I like it more than a lot of the previous Omar albums because the production is nicer.

Also obviously Amputechture is the best Volta album ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying Sworn Virgins,this is an impressive project! I like how some of the songs flow together, Crow's Feet is great. Thanks for posting

Corazones is out, it's a lovely summer record. Where he deals in whispered vocals it's great, first track We Feel The Silence is wonderful. Definitely some clunkers too.

https://orlprojects.bandcamp.com/album/corazones

a1804901249_16.jpg

Arrest My Father is one of the worst songs ever written haha.

Interestingly, from someone who has heard leaks, and has posted accurately, the next 2, one is basically Bosnian Rainbows, and more excitingly, the other is a retooled Sonambulists, basically a Volta record with Theodore on drums.

What a time to be alive!

https://orlprojects.bandcamp.com/album/blind-worms-pious-swine

First track up from the Bosnian Rainbows sounding record.

Blind Worms, Pious Swine. Great album name!

Great video! I am not sure about his vocals...but then again they are not terrible, either.

I hold the first two Mars Volta records in high regard (third one is close as well). It is weird being a fan because, over the years, I have seen some rough Volta records, terrible live videos and interviews where they come off as somewhat douchey. Because of this I find it hard to get a good read on Omar's personality... From a distance releasing this many albums seems like an act of narcissism. This is the first time his solo stuff has really caught my interest.

I keep coming back tho.

He treats any bandmates other than Cedric with complete contempt too.

Also, pretty much anything he says about a record's recording is generally nonsense, even the latest album, supposedly recorded by 2013 at the latest according to Rolling Stone interview is wrong, he's a bit like a douche Aphex.

But... I love him and have everything he and Mars Volta have released on wax pretty much and I like 95% of his solo stuff across the board.

FANBOY CONFIRMED.

http://www.riverviewsound.com/blog/

Nice seeing Froosh in the video too.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't too interested when I first heard news of these 12 albums - I thought a few of his early solo albums especially Se dice bisonte, no búfalo were good, but Old Money was the last one I listened to. And between those two there was some crap. I took a listen to some samples from Sworn Virgins and Corazones yesterday and was particularly interested in the sound of Sworn Virgins. Took it for a spin and was pretty impressed! I'll be following the series, fully expecting some lows along the way. Glad the release dates are spread out because if they were all released at once I would probably dismiss the whole thing.

The next one, Aranas en la Sombra is supposedly the fabled Sonambulists, so like Old Money, will be something of a discarded Mars Volta album without Cedric.

I'm excited.

What's nice is I know nothing about the following 8!

That, and another 12 next year are mooted.

I LOVE U OMAR.

• 2 weeks later...

Arañas en la Sombra isn't bad but pretty underwhelming for early Volta era demos. The drums and bass are buried, probably as he fell out with so many people, sounds ok if you EQ them up, adding vocals from last few years is a bit odd too and reminds me of Duchamp drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. It's still quite nice but Sworn Virigins still pick of the bunch for me so far!

• 2 months later...

Archived