IGNORED

Help me decide what synth to buy [SOLVED]

Squee

Hey everyone,

So I've been looking at the MS-20 for quite a while now and I'm so close to buying it, but it scares me that there's no way to sync the LFO to my daw. My price arrange is around the price of the MS-20 so I've also been looking at Roland's System-1 which is a more flexible and versatile synth. But I need something simple that can create earth shattering basslines but I also need that synth to be easy to work with - such as syncing it up to my daw.

So who vouches for what synth or would you recommend a different one? I've also been looking at the Moog Minitaur but I dunno...?

Help!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

So I've been looking at the MS-20 for quite a while now and I'm so close to buying it, but it scares me that there's no way to sync the LFO to my daw. My price arrange is around the price of the MS-20 so I've also been looking at Roland's System-1 which is a more flexible and versatile synth. But I need something simple that can create earth shattering basslines but I also need that synth to be easy to work with - such as syncing it up to my daw.

So who vouches for what synth or would you recommend a different one? I've also been looking at the Moog Minitaur but I dunno...?

Help!

As your lawyer i'd advice you to buy a kenton midi <> cv, to interface with your MS-20.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/prosolo.shtml

(It has s-trig and ms-20 compatible cv...)

But, LFO sync is not possible without modding.

Guest Chesney

Kenton boxes are rad. I got a USB-MIDI so I can send DAW sequences to things like the CS30, amazing hearing a synth like that play really complex ideas for the first time.

Hey everyone,

Help!

On a second though...

- Is your workflow DAW centric?

- Why the MS-20?

- Is this your first hardware synth?

If you use DAWs, why dont you buy VA that sounds close to actual hardware, like NI Monark or U-HE Diva. It's much easier to integrate with DAWs.

Unfortunately the Legacy collection doesn't sound as good as a 'real' MS20 though :) 

Moog Minitaur is pretty good, particularly for sub/low bass but doesn't compare to the MS20 which is more versatile and sounds wicked (in my uneducated opinion, after playing with both).

Theres no going back from modular for me. Its the absolute tits. You wouldnt get far with 500 quid though so this is a meaningless post that im gonna hit reply on anyway

Hey everyone,

Help!

On a second though...

- Is your workflow DAW centric?

- Why the MS-20?

- Is this your first hardware synth?

If you use DAWs, why dont you buy VA that sounds close to actual hardware, like NI Monark or U-HE Diva. It's much easier to integrate with DAWs.

Yeah, I use Logic Pro X as my main daw. 

I've been in the love with the MS-20 ever since I heard a very specific bassline that was produced on an MS-20. Also, I like the fact that it's such a "simple" synth to work with. And I want some more hardware as it's always easier to program than those stupid soft synth that does everything, provides you with a billion features, and a kitchen sink. And no, this isn't my first hardware synth ;)

If you get the Korg Legacy Collection ( http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_legacy_collection/ ) then the ms-20 will perfectly sync with your DAW ;)

I hate the MS-20 softsynth. Programming soft synths is such a hassle. I want to able to fiddle around with knobs on the fly instead of having to draw automations or learn Logic what midi controller does what.

minibrute or bass station 2

lol

Ok, so sell me on the Bass Station 2 because all the demos I've heard sound like shit.

Theres no going back from modular for me. Its the absolute tits. You wouldnt get far with 500 quid though so this is a meaningless post that im gonna hit reply on anyway

Well, I was thinking about buying some System-500 parts, but that's a rabbit hole I can't afford to go into...

doesn't sound as good as a 'real' MS20 though

(IMHO!)

Not really. The opposite is the case and that is exactly the point here, because a MS20 never sounded good nor will it ever, it's just a fucked up noise box with very very poorly designed ciruits. That's exactly why people love it. It feels like a mad professors lab equipment that has the possibility to torture people if used with a proper mindset.

If you don't feel the need for something like that in your studio, you won't be happy with a MS-20. Questions like "Can i sync the LFO?" are really unimportant, cause a MS-20 targets another audience by design.

(/IMHO!)

Yeah, I use Logic Pro X as my main daw. 

I've been in the love with the MS-20 ever since I heard a very specific bassline that was produced on an MS-20. Also, I like the fact that it's such a "simple" synth to work with. And I want some more hardware as it's always easier to program than those stupid soft synth that does everything, provides you with a billion features, and a kitchen sink. And no, this isn't my first hardware synth ;)

I see your point, then buy one. You should also do yourself a favour and buy some stackable patch cables. -> http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/tiptop-audio-stackcable-35cm-red.html

It's a cool way expand the patching capabilities of the MS-20 without extra hardware.

minibrute or bass station 2

lol

Ok, so sell me on the Bass Station 2 because all the demos I've heard sound like shit.

it's sounds just fine to me (though i don't own one) but the main benefit imo is it's a great first synth. it does "classic" synth sounds well, has plenty of knobs for maximum tweakability, is priced very well and is versatile. OP specified he wanted bass sounds which is obviously an area it does well in, though it does clean leads very well too.

there are better/nicer synths out there but not as a first synth.

if he wants a character synth there are great options in the price range (ms20, minibrute, blofeld etc) but as a first synth i think a bass station is a great choice. because it has such a clean and inoffensive sound it can fit any set up, plus it has the benefits of patch memory and USB/MIDI integration.

if i were buying a first synth again it'd be my choice anyway.

Mopho is really nice.Desktop or keyboard.Almost a 1 voice prophet.Bass,acid,lead,pad does everything well.FM mod is sick.

There is also an editor.(the paid version uses DAW automation)

Tetra or 4 voices if you got the $.

Check vintage analogue and FM also.Some options are very good and still not expensive or even really cheap.

(if you want a nice EXTREMELY CHEAP fm synth ,check the Yamaha PSR-36,i just got one for 90$)

System 1:I would not buy virtual analogue if i were you.Get analogue or FM,its way better.

Most VA sound like vst.

(nothing wrong with that BUT WHY getting an overpriced keyboard shaped VST

when you can get analogue or classic FM for the same price,or almost??Wait for good gear,dont spend of these shit new Roland VA)

MS20 mini is real cool but my friend has one and tuning is an issue.

Also local synth guy said he heard quite a few stories about MS20 mini going weird or having problems....

But still its really cool synth imo.Quite dark tone.

Whatever you buy :Have fun with your new toy!!!!

Yamaha reface CS

yeah this is on my list despite being VA. would be a very nice performance synth! I really want a CS01 but the cheapest I can find the mkII model for is AU$500, which I think is too much. Shame, really.

Guest Chesney

If it's first hardware, concentrate more on a nice interface. Something like a mopho desktop will probably annoy you ( like me) to the point of not wanting to actually use it.

Just buy the MS20 I reckon, You can't go wrong really.

Just get the ms20 man, don't buy one of those nice safe sounding run of the mill mono synths. The whole point of the MS20 is how unruly and temperamental it can be.

Archived