7 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

images of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

https://imgur.com/gallery/WU4Mb

Those new apartment buildings look nice, but don’t have central heating. 
If you look closely, you’ll see solar panels on most apartments’ balconies because North Korea doesn’t have a stable electric grid. 

The best part about those fancy apartments though (the ones on “future scientist street”) is that they command a good price on the real estate market in Pyongyang. https://www.nknews.org/2016/05/owning-a-home-in-north-korea/

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

Those new apartment buildings look nice, but don’t have central heating. 
If you look closely, you’ll see solar panels on most apartments’ balconies because North Korea doesn’t have a stable electric grid. 

The best part about those fancy apartments though (the ones on “future scientist street”) is that they command a good price on the real estate market in Pyongyang. https://www.nknews.org/2016/05/owning-a-home-in-north-korea/

it's excellent that they are so sustainable and decentralized, I'm planning to migrate to such an electrical configuration myself once I get my own property

1 hour ago, cyanobacteria said:

images of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

https://imgur.com/gallery/WU4Mb

those cities look surprisingly empty and unlived in. sterile, they seem fake on their face. maybe just the selection of photos or editing, idk.

also their dinosaur models are terribly out of date.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, auxien said:

those cities look surprisingly empty and unlived in. sterile, they seem fake on their face. maybe just the selection of photos or editing, idk.

also their dinosaur models are terribly out of date.

pictures probably taken during times with less people, also plenty of the pictures have large crowds of people walking around.  they look clean and designed in a very interesting way.  this seems like a perspective i dont understand and one that is western-centric oriented towards the idea of them trying to fake apperances for us or something. also worth mentioning that theyre basically all brand new because everything was bombed by the US

Edited by cyanobacteria

3 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

it's excellent that they are so sustainable and decentralized, I'm planning to migrate to such an electrical configuration myself once I get my own property

They’re not sustainable. The solar panels give them barely enough electricity run lights or appliances for a little bit because of how terrible their electric grid is.  
There is also nothing legally decentralized about North Korea.

I find it interesting that you just skipped past the whole selling of properties that were granted to people by the state. Even North Koreans are capitalists. 

You wouldn’t want to live there, I can guarantee you that.  

7 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

They’re not sustainable. The solar panels give them barely enough electricity run lights or appliances for a little bit because of how terrible their electric grid is.  
There is also nothing legally decentralized about North Korea.

I find it interesting that you just skipped past the whole selling of properties that were granted to people by the state. Even North Koreans are capitalists. 

You wouldn’t want to live there, I can guarantee you that.  

solar power is decentralized and im not going to repeat the "using capitalism" vs "being capitalist" debate.  never said id want to live there

5 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

solar power is decentralized and im not going to repeat the "using capitalism" vs "being capitalist" debate.  never said id want to live there

The solar power panels are of course bought, often on the grey market. 

This is the people of North Korea selling the apartments (well the certificate to live there), not the state. 
But just to be clear, you’re saying it’s alright to use capitalism to better the lives of the citizens of a state? Even if it creates the inherent contradictions as described by Marx?

Why are you posting these photos? I’m genuinely curious as to your motive. 

kim Jong Un seems like a boss

i can't remember the last american president who went out of his way to have portraits taken riding around on a horse

Edited by Cryptowen

6 hours ago, chenGOD said:

The solar power panels are of course bought, often on the grey market. 

This is the people of North Korea selling the apartments (well the certificate to live there), not the state. 
But just to be clear, you’re saying it’s alright to use capitalism to better the lives of the citizens of a state? Even if it creates the inherent contradictions as described by Marx?

Why are you posting these photos? I’m genuinely curious as to your motive. 

you said "they are capitalists" because they sell apartments as private property even though this exists within a small subset of the population in a way that affects in no way the rest of the population, and doesn't even relate to the use of capital to grow capital, it's not like they're landlording the apartments, they're selling.  and yet you claim "Even North Koreans are capitalists" this is a misunderstanding of the word capitalist and you should be saying "even a small minority of North Koreans sell property as private property" which is not remotely the same thing as "being capitalists".  if a feudal peasant decided to sell their hovel and plot because theyre travelling somewhere else to live with family are they "a capitalist"?  no

why did I post it? its clearly relevant to the thread not sure why you have to ask. interesting pictures of marxist or to you ostensibly marxist country

Edited by cyanobacteria

If you read the article I posted, you’ll see that some do in fact rent the apartments out, acting as landlords. They also often sell them for a profit. 

I would never claim North Korea is a Marxist country. 

17 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

pictures probably taken during times with less people, also plenty of the pictures have large crowds of people walking around.  they look clean and designed in a very interesting way.  this seems like a perspective i dont understand and one that is western-centric oriented towards the idea of them trying to fake apperances for us or something. also worth mentioning that theyre basically all brand new because everything was bombed by the US

yeah, i saw the pics with plenty of people about too, obviously. and i never said they were trying to fake appearances, and i particularly mentioned that maybe it was in part due to photo selection/editing. any place could have an agenda in how they present themselves in particular situations, that's just basic advertisement/propaganda that any nation/state/whatever is bound to participate in at times be it for political means or just simple tourism. NK is just in a special situation of privacy (at least towards the mainstream West) so the levels of things are likely skewed more heavily in their presentation. 

17 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I would never claim North Korea is a Marxist country. 

yeah that's what's got me confused, didn't think they had anything to do with that.... but idk shit about NK and wasn't bothered enough to look it up

they are clearly marxist, whether you like them or not or would be happy to live in their material conditions. they have achieved a dictatorship of the proletariat and to some extent are intent on isolation from the greater capitalist system, the exact opposite of china in that regard. 

3 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

they are clearly marxist

Except for all the private sector activity (it may make up 25% of the economy). 

That same article also describes how the NK Budget from 2020 establishes that local units are left to fend for themselves and also contribute to the state economy (i.e. instead of money being redistributed, it all flows into the central party holdings)

They’re an authoritarian military dictatorship where the primary focus of the regime is to keep the family lineage in power. 

I’ll have to upload a video to YouTube, but it shows how empty of traffic the streets of Pyongyang really are. The material conditions are grim, and show not much sign of improving. 

1 hour ago, cyanobacteria said:

why are you getting any notifications? you shouldnt get any unless you followed the thread or someones replying to you which they havent recently

Agreed yeah - I’m wondering if the function is borked. Btw post wasn’t intended as a shot at you guys it’s just not a topic I’m interested in (I have nothing to offer here lol) so I was hoping it wouldn’t appear so much in my feed.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:52 PM, Hugh Mughnus said:

@JoyrexI have this thread on ignore, any idea why I still get 239 notifications a day on it? lol

There's a needed update for the add-in but the developer won't be applying that until version 4.6 of the forum is out, which is due soon.

• Thanks 1