IGNORED

Wavejumpers - Sunken Treasure EP (Underground Resistance)

dcom

Good tunes, but imo the "relationship" with Drexciya doesn't help. These are good tracks you'd expect on a label like UR, but they don't sound like Drexciya apart from some incidental sample here or there. Would have been better to completely drop the Drexciyan iconography. imoooo

First track on this mix from last year is B1 - Cetacean Nation on Wavejumpers.

https://www.nts.live/shows/nts-10-dopplereffekt/episodes/nomadico-20th-april-2021

Was hoping it would get released, and nice to see it's from Tyree Stinson and crew. More unreleased / upcoming UR stuff in the mix too btw. 

4 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Good tunes, but imo the "relationship" with Drexciya doesn't help. These are good tracks you'd expect on a label like UR, but they don't sound like Drexciya apart from some incidental sample here or there. Would have been better to completely drop the Drexciyan iconography. imoooo

I can see your point, especially after the whole Abdul Qadim Haqq debacle (where James Stinsons wife had to get involved to stop him from using the Drexciya concept -which admittedly got a bit silly with him in his Drexciya costume on YouTube- while Gerald Donald is fine with him doing all that).

Then again, Tyree has been doing this with the Aquanauts in the early 00's, which are some really good watery electro releases. Not on par with Drexciya but a nice addition to the world. 

I don't really mind his brother using the connection, but I am glad UR is back releasing music again (first release in like 5 years?).

• Like 3

• 1 year later...