IGNORED

secret track you never show someone

o00o

I feel like you owe people who give their time and attention some curation of your material. Maybe at least a 5:1 ratio of stuff you never show vs. stuff you do?

2 hours ago, PigeonSt said:

I feel like you owe people who give their time and attention some curation of your material. Maybe at least a 5:1 ratio of stuff you never show vs. stuff you do?

Only 5:1? Seems like 50:1 for me.

I agree through

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcom said:

Is this topic about your own music or someone else's music, as in DJs withholding information about tracks they want to keep to themselves - or both?

I believe it is about our own music 

22 minutes ago, xox said:

I believe it is about our own music 

OK. There are only a handful of mine on Soundcloud I've made public, but there are troves found on disks old and new, lost and still in use. Mostly they're loops of N bars where N is usually 1-4, but also some that could be classified as almost ready or even done. But they're mine, I say, mine and mine alone - pressure valves, anxiety defusers and whatnot. So yes.

When I get something done with my recent GAS ran amok, maybe I'll publish something.

Edited by dcom

On 8/10/2022 at 9:47 PM, PigeonSt said:

The problem is the person least qualified to choose what's good is the person who made it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

The problem is the person least qualified to choose what's good is the person who made it.

I (mostly) don’t agree with this! 

• Like 1

I half agree with it. Personally I need at least a couple years before I can objectively judge a track I made, and there's a lot of amazing music that only gets released after the artist's death becasue they thought it was bad (and as far as bad music that gets released because the artist thinks it's GOOD, that's like 95% of the music on the Internet, probably incuding most of mine).

The more important thing to me is that if you're judging the merit of your own work it can easily leat to self-editing WHILE YOU'RE WORKING ON IT, when you really shouldn't be thinking about whether something is "good" or not IMO.  That's like mixing and recording at the same time, or thinking and improvising at the same time.  It can work but it's usually better to not do it because it slows you down. Think and plan BEFORE, judge AFTER.

3 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I think half true is about right. I have done a couple 40 track dumps on a friend to pick out 5-6 for release and we overlapped on half our picks

I think in general my point was, don't ask for attention on every single thing you do

Regardless, I don't follow my own opinion at all and decide which tracks are good and which aren't completely on my own, which is probably why 95% of my stuff is jsut on a hard drive somewhere.

My strategy is only uploading and sharing the bad middling tracks, then posting on forums to keep up an impression like I am constantly working on finishing the good, secret tracks that will really change the face of electronic music forever.*

* - for the worse.

• Big Brain 1

This afternoon I put together an album worth of completely disjointed tracks as a kind of "best of" from a 17-volume, direct to cassette, edition-of-one series I did in 2011-12.  Once I get some artwork together for it I'll probably put it up, but I might hold off for a while to pace myself, I haven't decided.  I've got at least 10 full lenth albums worth of unrelesed stuff I could put out without much work at all, plus a lot more that would need some editing and mastering, but I don't think I want to do a Sun City Girls thing and release like 15-20 albums in one year.