IGNORED

Best Timestretching Plugins or Algorithms you have heard?

Brisbot

Just wondering. I have been trying to collect a number of time stretching plugins so I have choice in the ways I can time stretch sounds.

List of plugins mentioned so far! God chatGPT is so useful...:

• Akaizer
  • Ableton
  • CDP (older version)
  • CDP Stretch/Stretch Time 1
  • Cool Edit/Audition
  • Cubase
  • Devious Machines Infiltrator
  • DS Audio Tantra 2
  • Logic
  • Max/MSP
  • Melodyne
  • MOTU DP ZTX timestretching
  • Native Instruments Raum
  • Reason
  • Sound Forge 4.0 or 4.5
  • TAL-Sampler
  • TS2
  • Unfiltered Audio SpecOps
  • UVI Falcon IRCAM timestretching
  • UVI Sparkverb
Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 2

my favorite is CDP's Stretch/Stretch Time 1. It is PVOC-based algorithm and if you'll set it's resolution to 4096 in PVOC settings it will sound like Kyma. It sounds like really naturally stretched and without any common timestretch artifacts. Also you can automate stretching via breakpoints. It is non-realtime though

• Like 2

If you define "best" as "most musically interesting" rather than "highest quality" then I'd say track down an old copy of Sound Forge 4.0 or 4.5.  Not real-time, but you can get Paulstretch amounts of timestretch with a 90s Akai sampler type of sound if you tweak the parameters a little I definitely got a lot of mileage out of the LEGITIMATE BACKUP COPY I downloaded in high school, mostly stretching things like individual drum hits out to 5 or 6 minutes long and building entire tracks around the result. Very granular, late 90s 90s timestretch with clean, obvious grains and none of the more phasey artifacts you hear when you push newer/better timestretch algorithms.

It's easier to find now than it was when it was current, too, and I can confirm that it installs and runs fine in Windows 10 x64, even though it's over 20 years old (EDIT: except the help files, but there are workarounds for that).

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

I use (I say 'use' thought more accurately: bought on sale and keep meaning to use whenever the situation arises) TS2: https://www.ircamlab.com/products/p1680-TS2/

In the past though the one in Cool Edit / Audition (pre-v2), especially the gliding stretch, has been my jimmy jam for creative mangling.

• Like 1

motu DP has the ztx timestretching in it which is nice. i like the stuff that can be done with Melodyne but it is easily pushed into spectral artifacts and comb filtered weirdness which i like but it's a sound.  the IRCAM stuff in UVI Falcon is nice. pretty flexible. 

i've done a lot of obvious stuff in ableton over the years precisely because the windowing becomes so audible and it made sense for those projects. but i'm pretty sure it annoyed the mastering engineer ? 

these days whatever DAW you have probably does a decent job. logic/dp/cubase etc. some material fairs better than others. 

regarding CDP.. if i can find an older version i'd like to install it on my winXP laptop. would be fun to non-real time some DSP on samples. if i can stumble into a super cheap windows laptop i might have to just for CDP. but it'd be a luxury. 

max/msp has all kinds of tricks for real time dsp. worth a look even at some of those objects. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Akaizer definitely for the oldskool Akai jungle timestretch effect. Shame it doesn't appear to work any longer for me. I use Tal for Mac which is good but I still prefer Akaizer when I had it working!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, Brisbot said:

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I have a lot to look through! ? Made a list using chatgpt and edited the first post. Useful for anyone coming upon this thread in the future.

Sorry for asking something totally ot, but how do you make a list out of this using chatgpt??

15 hours ago, e-mertz said:

Sorry for asking something totally ot, but how do you make a list out of this using chatgpt??

I copied  all of the text on the page with 'select all'. Told ChatGPT to make a list of all audio plugins mentioned so far. Then when I got the list back asked it to re-arrange it alphabetically.

• Like 1