IGNORED

Happy 50th Luke!

Rubin Farr

On 1/27/2023 at 4:58 AM, Rubin Farr said:

990DE881-E30A-424F-A050-E75DFA5C1E20.jpeg

I was present when this photo was taken.  Luke was signing copies of Recipticon for the owner of Gramophone Records in chicago.  Each copy he signed said "Ahoy!" lol

• Like 2

Oh weird, I just happened to listen to one of his albums on Spotify on Fri, one I had not heard before.  Only time I've listened to Vibert on Spotify.  Neat coincidence.  Also was giving Chicago, Detroit, Redruth several spins in my van this week.  It's become a classic for me.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 4:05 PM, logakght said:

Today I found out that Luke Vibert remembered J Dilla in Rhythm:

Secondary, 6 of 7

Luke mentioned to me he does not like the album "Donuts" however, which i found odd.  

Luke gives Jay Dee a shot out at the end of this video

7 minutes ago, Velazquez said:

Luke mentioned to me he does not like the album "Donuts" however, which i found odd.  

Luke gives Jay Dee a shot out at the end of this video

I am kind of in the same boat honestly. Donuts never really clicked with me, it's almost too refined/polished. I think Dilla was at his best when he was more loose and raw. Like I absolutely love his unreleased beats/outtakes (Beats Batch series, etc.). Same reason I love the Wagon Christ Studio Sessions too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NI64 said:

I am kind of in the same boat honestly. Donuts never really clicked with me, it's almost too refined/polished. I think Dilla was at his best when he was more loose and raw. Like I absolutely love his unreleased beats/outtakes (Beats Batch series, etc.). Same reason I love the Wagon Christ Studio Sessions too

I feel this about digging the more loose and raw stuff (I'm partial to the 1996 What Up Doe session tracks), but I also love Donuts, tracks like Airworks and Time. Also, it's open for interpretation, but some of the ways that the tracks seem to be expressing a feeling that you are going to be departing earth soon, since he was finishing some of the songs while very close to death apparently, it's kind of hard-hitting and unusual for that feeling to be expressed so clearly but with very short snippets of audio, like at the beginning of The Twister, that Stevie Wonder sample from one of his live albums, where he's like "before I go . . . someone warm like you" before Dilla brings the main beat in. I could be reading too much into those moments on the album, but they always seemed eerie and funky to me.

Anyhoo, happy belated 50th to Mr. Vibert. He has the juice!

On 10/11/2023 at 2:47 PM, NI64 said:

Yeah Donuts is ok, but I agree w you re: Dilla and his looser stuff, proba why I prefer Madlib.   Also Studio sessions should be mastered and released, love it.