IGNORED

MBM

LooseLink

On 4/24/2023 at 4:35 AM, LooseLink said:

New conspiracy theory, so, shhhhhhh ? ........ before The Matrix (which came out in '99), there was..... MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO (Helter Skelter '97)...... HMMMMMmmmmmm ? ? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrZ_WpXJVxa/

Howard Stern used that technique as well, can’t find a YouTube clip of it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, Rubin Farr said:

The Matrix made a big deal about it at the time, so just wanted to point out this observation as I continue surfing for tracks. But yeah be interesting now to hear or see where the origin of this film technique came from, it seems very art/film school, around the 70's maybe when the money started rolling in i guess, if anybody knows what came before MBM drop it in this thread.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a music video where a guy jumps off a bridge and the camera does some bullet timey action? Something by Soundgarden or something? Don't remember if this was pre Matrix.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:29 AM, Rubin Farr said:

i could be wrong but i am almost sure i remember howard stern talking about how he saw the helter skelter video and talking about how he loved the technique, which then led to him using it for the show. this was so long ago but i was really into mbm by this time and just had howard on the tv in the background and i remember getting really excited to suddenly see them talking about mbm!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

i could be wrong but i am almost sure i remember howard stern talking about how he saw the helter skelter video and talking about how he loved the technique, which then led to him using it for the show. this was so long ago but i was really into mbm by this time and just had howard on the tv in the background and i remember getting really excited to suddenly see them talking about mbm!

I think you’re correct 

• Like 1

The first use of that effect that I know were Emmanuel Carrier's short "Temps mort" installations in Lyon in 1995. Here's a potato version:

I guess Michel Gondry saw those too, because later that year he does «Temthe video for Like a Rolling Stone, in which he adds morphing between the different still images :

He uses it again in 1997 for a (rather silly) Smirnoff ad, with a bullet stopped in mid-air:

Principal photography on the Matrix started in 1998; once it came out in spring 1999 everyone and their mother did rip-off and parodies.

The connection between that film and MBM I'm most curious about is the fact that Dangers said he was supposed to do the whole soundtrack...

My favorite use of that Temps mort / bullet time method remains Chris Cunningham's advert for Orange, in which he uses long exposures to fantastic effect :

• Like 2