IGNORED

SAW II turns 30

chenGOD

8 hours ago, Mattthegoone said:

I have 2 copies of this on vinyl, still listen to it on CD or on my phone, the 1977 (label) vinyl repress from a few years back without stone in focus is dubious, its so crackly, I barely played my copy and it sounds like it was used as a frisbee, thought I had lost my warp copy and found it, sounds much better, the crackling on the sire 1977 version actually sounds OK to my ears but if you didn't want it you can't ignore it, not sure what contraption they pressed it on

My 1977 press sounds pretty good. Mastered from the CD and all that but crackle free. In a bonehead move I still regret a quarter of a century later I returned the brown vinyl to the record store because it was such poor quality. It's worth a few quid these days. Had the 2 x cassette as well but lost it.

12 hours ago, Mattthegoone said:

I have 2 copies of this on vinyl, still listen to it on CD or on my phone, the 1977 (label) vinyl repress from a few years back without stone in focus is dubious, its so crackly, I barely played my copy and it sounds like it was used as a frisbee, thought I had lost my warp copy and found it, sounds much better, the crackling on the sire 1977 version actually sounds OK to my ears but if you didn't want it you can't ignore it, not sure what contraption they pressed it on

This one became my definitive version when it was out there. All the tracks (and more) in tippedytoppedy dark and dank quality

i used to spin the 2 CD set when i was ~17 or so and reading Lovecraft for the first time. it was a good companion piece in many ways, the two are permanently tied in my mind now….reading any Lovecraft or similar stuff with talk of alien piping in distances of dream or ancient Earth, i always hear the weirder pieces of SAW II. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

This one became my definitive version when it was out there. All the tracks (and more) in tippedytoppedy dark and dank quality

Dang! After following your link I realized that Richard writes track descriptions for some of the songs on his website. Pretty cool. 

I bought the cd version too and it was a long time later that I heard stone in focus. Such a good one. 

6 hours ago, danshoebridge said:

My 1977 press sounds pretty good. Mastered from the CD and all that but crackle free. In a bonehead move I still regret a quarter of a century later I returned the brown vinyl to the record store because it was such poor quality. It's worth a few quid these days. Had the 2 x cassette as well but lost it.

That a surprise to me, mine is awful but there's barely a mark on the records, 

Still has the opened shrink wrap on the sleeve, genuinely can't remember if it was the 2012 or 2017 version because my memory is so bad but I think it was 2017 when it was a brand new repress

still waiting for this to be real. i want this reissue so bad. i’ve been lurking on discogs about an og issue for years but hesitated to go for it

• Like 1

I tried to suppress any kind of hype I could feel regarding a potential repress but I'm disappointed regardless.

• Haha 1

I could be tempted to sell my original Warp copy. After all it's only sitting on my shelf not doing particularly much. Maybe it should find a new home. One of the reasons I don't sell, is because I feel I have some sort of Aphexian relic in my house. And I like that feeling. Even though I'm not really an ultra materialistic sort of person. I guess in this day and age of streaming music it feels nice to have a Aphex Twin object that is real.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1