Joyrex + Aphex = Falling out?

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rich will do the eulogy at your funeral

"if i could sum up his life in two words, i'd say he was 'quite good'"

Ahahaha!

Just wanted to say what a fucking horrible self-portrait you have.

Thanks mate! :beer:

Almost as bad as ICBYD.

Guest jasondonervan

i think all of this just shows the inherent danger of trying to talk like a British person in any way shape or form simply by being an American fan of UK electronic music. It's been quite a while here since americans were throwing around the word 'mate' in a serious fashion, and for that I am very fucking glad.

"Oh yeah, sounds alright mate, yeah, sounds a bit like Goldie"

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this legendary exchange. What an insane reaction to a compliment. I always thought he was pretty cool until now. Ah well, the music's still quite good.

I thought it was Kristen Stewart?

Let's keep this on topic please.

I love his hair length in the windowlicker photoshoot.

edit: Oh wait this is that other thread. I meant: quite good!

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this legendary exchange. What an insane reaction to a compliment. I always thought he was pretty cool until now. Ah well, the music's still quite good.

I thought it was Kristen Stewart?

It is (and now you know my real identity).

Guest The Caustic Window

I have to admit I find the lack of communication between JR and RJ quite odd given that this site is by far the best site out there for news and rumours about our man dicky. I'd think Joyrex would have like a golden phone or something...

huh. that's what I always thought

The thing with words is that they don't always come off sounding like their literal meanings.

According to literal meaning, you would have a scale like this:

somewhat good = modestly good = pretty good < good < rather good = quite good < very good

Notice how "quite good" literally means better than "good".

But that's not how it comes off. You wouldn't normally say "quite good" for something you really liked. It comes off sounding like a polite way of saying you're not thrilled with something. Or like you're a teacher and you want to leave your students thinking they have more work to do.

It's just like how "very good" should literally mean very good, but in reality it sounds like a kindergarten teacher. "OOOh, that's VERY GOOD Richy!"

Hopefully RDJ eventually realized that people are careful with their words around him and sometimes say dumb stuff. His reaction seems like an epic overreaction. I'd love to read it.

Again, when sharing a promo of your new (EPIC) double album with someone who runs a site dedicated to you, "quite good" is ALWAYS quite horrible. Regardless of cultural subtleties. This is not about being careful, but about understanding your role in the greater scheme of things. If you don't, and respond with "quite good" because you personally feel that way, well, you shouldn't be surprised mister uber artist stops thinking you're worth his time.

Again, poorly worded.

Again, when sharing a promo of your new (EPIC) double album with someone who runs a site dedicated to you, "quite good" is ALWAYS quite horrible. [<=you, the artist. :: you, the one on the receiving end of the bargain =>] Regardless of cultural subtleties. This is not about being careful, but about understanding your role in the greater scheme of things. If you don't, and respond with "quite good" because you personally feel that way, well, you shouldn't be surprised mister uber artist stops thinking you're worth his time.

Also, it should be pretty obvious that the initial impression of a double album from RDJ with the range it has, is overwhelming. And can be even for the biggest fan. If you feel it's quite good, it's probably because YOU'RE FRIGGING OVERWHELMED BY THE AMOUNT OF MUSIC, THE DETAILS, THE EVERYTHING, Etc. so, instead of saying "quite good", a bit of self-reflection would have been apt. Next time, say you're a bit overwhelmed. Even if you still think it's just "quite good". Which is fine, but would require a bitchslap for not understanding the greater scheme of things (read:understand the value of Drukqs for electronic music in general -outside of the scope of your personal opinion)

Again, when sharing a promo of your new (EPIC) double album with someone who runs a site dedicated to you, "quite good" is ALWAYS quite horrible. Regardless of cultural subtleties. This is not about being careful, but about understanding your role in the greater scheme of things.

"quite good" is not horrible if you follow it up with mentioning that it hasn't left your car stereo. That sort of implies that you're enjoying the hell out of it but rather than being fulsome about it you're just giving a simple compliment. I'm sure he's had enough excessive praise directed at him from fans and friends alike over the years. You'd think some casual "I enjoyed your album' would be sort of refreshing. I'd hate to see see how he responds to actual criticism. Of course he's probably mellowed out quite a bit since this exchange.

aww....

or

Richard doesn't like us

___________________________________________ :nelson:~~HA HAA

:flower:

Guest glasse

Honestly, when I first heard Drukqs my reaction was that it was pretty good, meaning the technical expertise was apparant but it did not capture my heart the way RDJ album had. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of emotional moments, but overall It was flashier and more sure of itself, but that cost it something and that was the naievety, vunerability and honesty of RDJ and Come to Daddy. I think Analord helped balance those aspects out a bit as it recaptured some of what made RDJ and CtD good while still showing off his technical skill.

Guest Akiak

Honestly, when I first heard Drukqs my reaction was that it was pretty good, meaning the technical expertise was apparant but it did not capture my heart the way RDJ album had. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of emotional moments, but overall It was flashier and more sure of itself, but that cost it something and that was the naievety, vunerability and honesty of RDJ and Come to Daddy. I think Analord helped balance those aspects out a bit as it recaptured some of what made RDJ and CtD good while still showing off his technical skill.

Interesting you'd say that, i found RDJ album to be the most focused on experimenting and uniqueness (i didn't like it that much) whereas drukqs struck me as the most emotionally powerful album by a mile. I get what you're saying about naivety though, RDJ album was maybe a bit more 'humorous' in some ways.

i think i didn't get Drukqs right away because of the piano pieces and throw away bit tracks. i dunno, maybe the technical stuff was lost on me a bit as well...

Archived