IGNORED

When did you get into autechre??

Guest murraypops

wow its kind of interesting to see how many of the 'early' ae fans on WATMM wouldnt have heard of them or gotten into them had it not been for MTV networks AMP including myself. And i probably wouldn't have heard of Aphex twin or Coil if it hadn't been for Trent Reznor.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some 5 years ago Kokoon was giving me and some other people a ride in his car and he was listening to the weirdest of musicks (me and some friends were all in metal at that time). I don't remember whether it was autechre or not, but I do remember that I was the only one liking it. :embrassed:

A few months later I wanted to get some of that stuff and I got it. Incunabula was my favorite, but soon the more fucked up the sound seemed the more I liked it. Then I kinda figured out its not only outer worlds interesting but also very good on its own. Yes, thats how it went with me.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I got tri repetae++ in 2002. it took a while to grow on me, as I was into short attention span stuff like squarepusher at the time. I later got confield and loved it right away, though.

Guest Audiorama

Some guy send me a track from Incunabula and I loved it. That was about 2 years ago. I had the mp3's from Incunabula, Amber and Tri Repetae on my disc the same night.

Thank you Luka :)

Incunabula was my favorite, but soon the more fucked up the sound seemed the more I liked it.

+1

a coworker burned me tri repetae around 2002 or so

that and mouse on mars idiology

but never really got into it

flashforward to some time in the last 3 years

heard cipater after reading shit on here

the rest is history

but chiastic slide is what really made ae stick to me

• 3 weeks later...

hmm... FSOL was my first electronic music, and then really bad taste stuff like daft punk. I saw the video for Second Bad Vilbel on the scant electronic music show they had on muchmusic before it turned to complete shit, in 1999 or something like that. I bought Incunabula in 1999 or 2000, thought it was ok. I knew ae were a big name in electronic music so I figured there had to be more to it. I got LP5 and loved it, then gradually got the rest etc etc. Confield and onwards I got them all as they came out.

As I'm new to the board, this seemed like as good a topic to reply to as any... but it's a tough one to answer. I don't have a definitive answer... I know the first time I heard them was when Silversub was featured on the cover CD of Future Music so I think that must've been around about 1994. But I didn't pay too much attention, though I did recall noticing that it mixes really well into (or out of) the theme from You Only Live Twice (back in the days before Jobbie Williams sullied that song forever).

I probably started listening to them properly was in 97 just after Chiastic Slide came out as one of my pals at Uni had a cassette with Tri Repetae on one side and Chiastic Slide on the other. I used to borrow it from time to time for listening to on my walkman when studying in the library. Actually, thinking back I'd probably got Beaumont Hannat mix of Basscadet on some compilation before the tape copy (of a copy) which I was digging.

So, sometime after that I bought my first Autechre CD but despite much scratching of my head I can't think which one or when. Best guess would 98/99 and it was probably one I nabbed from a 2nd hand record store or on the cheap from Fopp in Glasgow.

What I can say more definitely is that I really started to "get" them in 2000 when I decided to order TriRepetae++ from America. But I think like most bands that i end up enjoying the most it took me ages to fill in the gaps in their back catalogue - i think the final piece came in the wake of Untilted when I finally got around to buying Amber.

apologies for the length, it's Sunday afternoon and for once i've not got much on.

j0hn

My friend brought me cassettes with ae material around 98-99, I was 15 then.. didn't get much of it then, didn't know the track names actually but remembered the epic cipater and garbage ep moments.

After that period I was for some time paricipating in the growing Croatian techno-clubbing culture, so I almost forgot about them. Luckily, things fell into place few years after, i don't know, around 2002, when my music tastes got more demanding, and I was getting a bit sick of all the club oriented mass-production crap. I got intenselly into Autechre since then and will probably never stop loving them and appreciating their work. In 2005 I went to Berlin to see tem live and it was absolutely breathtaking and the most intense musical experience I ever had. Looking forward to seeing them first time in Croatia, in Zagreb on March 12.

Well, thats all I remember about it.

Must have been 1992 or 1993 taking ac!d in my mates caravan and watching late night tv can't remember the name of the music show but it was on ITV....

a friend of mine gave me Amber years ago when i started to be into aphex twin / warp and told him about it

they really did grow on me over the years - i think it had also something to do with doing music myself

Thom Yorke recommended them and Aphex Twin in an interview that I watched about a year back. I started listening to Draft 7.30, Untilted and Amber. I thought Surripere and V-Proc were great, the rest of the newer tracks were too neurotic at first, but I like them as well now. I liked Amber immediately, Nil is beautiful.

I started on LP5.

Instant hit.

lol thats not even true I remember when you didn't like all of Lp5 lol.

I got into Ae through Aphex.

Thom Yorke recommended them and Aphex Twin in an interview that I watched about a year back. I started listening to Draft 7.30, Untilted and Amber. I thought Surripere and V-Proc were great, the rest of the newer tracks were too neurotic at first, but I like them as well now. I liked Amber immediately, Nil is beautiful.

Oh dear.

Thom Yorke: "Hey kids, this stuff is cool."

Kids: "We love you Thom Yorke!"

Oh dear.

Thom Yorke: "Hey kids, this stuff is cool."

Kids: "We love you Thom Yorke!"

your Autechre arent you?

Archived