IGNORED

When did you get into autechre??

Guest murraypops

Guest ezkerraldean

first autechre i ever heard was confield, probably in 2004. i'd always heard them associated with aphex etc, so when i bought drukqs i got this too. didnt like it much at first. really got to like them when a friend gave me copies of tri repetae and chiastic slide.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it was early 2005 when I bought, thanks to Aphex Twin, the Warp Videos Dvd. When I came home I put the dvd on and went to the Aphex Twin videos. After the second vid Autechre came and I was sold. I didn't see Come To Daddy that day, I only played Second Bad Vibel and Ganz Graf.

The next day I bought LP5. Unfortunately the recordstores in the Netherlands didn't have a lot of Autechre albums, so I searched the internet. I got a lot from the WARP-site and from eBay.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Goum Le Chat

I've discovered Ae few years ago, heard about them regularly. On forums, people told me that Tri Repetae was a kind of "classic" electronic music album and the most accessible record they've made.

And I liked It. And so on : Untitled, LP5, Confield, Draft 7.30... I prefer these albums to Tri Repetae.

I bought Tri-Repetae++ after seeing a lot of overlap of interest between Boards of Canada and Autechre fans on the internet. For a while it was more of a curiosity piece, think I owned in about a year before it clicked and I began to really appreciate Ae. Their later albums are nice and all, but their it's their mid-period stuff (Amber thru ep7, including the EPs and Gescom too) that I'll always love the most - LP5 being the pinnacle of their catalogue imho.

I got into them by label association with Aphex. It was hearing his remix of Meat Beat Manifesto's Mindstream that turned me onto purely electronic music rather than industrial and alternative. But now, I rarely listen to Aphex, mainly his ambient discs.

Autechre to always seems beyond everyone else. I remember when they released Confield and there were constant complaints of their new colder sounds, complete with endless wishes to return to their Amber days. Four years later, and everyone says Confield is their favorite. I for one love their progress. As much as I love Incunabula and Amber, I'd never want them to sound that way again. As for Untitled, it didn't grow fully on me until I saw them live in Philadelphia. The massive bass sheets and rapid fire snares made complete sense then.

Sorry for ranting...

I think it was 2003 that I picked up Confield, or maybe 2004. It's all a blur! But I do remember that after I bought it I went and sat down on a bench a block from the store and hit play. It had recently stopped raining and the sun was glinting through the buildings setting all the damp city streets aglow. That glassy spinning first track was the perfect soundtrack to the experience, added a very surreal dimension to it all. So that track still gives me the heavy nostalgia, possibly my favorite track on there. Now I'm hearing the jazzy elastic bandy sounding song in my head. That would be another favorite. You know the one. It goes from shuffle to straight time and then back. Yeah, that track kicks ass. One day I will know the names of more than 3 Autechre tracks. One day.

• 3 months later...
Guest Rogueofmv

I actually only got into Autechre about a month ago...

But they've been on my to-do list since early 2006. I guess I just wasn't ready for electronic music back then.

Guest derekgray

Sometime shortly after Draft 7.30.

When I first got into experimental music, it was just some Aphex -- the typicals, Come to Daddy and Windowlicker. Now I don't listen to Aphex at all except for SAW2. Anyways, a friend tried playing some Autechre for me in the past but I wasn't open to it at the time. I was still listening to Blue Man Group's Audio (my first ever CD) and The Downward Spiral by NIN. He burned a copy of Tri Repetae++ for me, and though I still haven't listened to Anvil Vapre or Garbage all the way, Tri Repetae began my addiction to Autechre.

Got into Aphex big time in early 2000, spent a lot of time at The Aphex Twin Community - Autechre kept on being mentioned all the time, so in late 2000 I ended up buying two albums - Amber and LP5. And I absolutely hated them. :pinch:

Once in a while I'd give them a listen. Slowly they started to appeal to me (I think Nine was the first track that I really liked), but it took a while (Incunabula was my next Ae in 2003 - then everything else followed shortly after that). So it took me about three years to fall in love with 'em.

I bought Tri-Repetae++ after seeing a lot of overlap of interest between Boards of Canada and Autechre fans on the internet. For a while it was more of a curiosity piece, think I owned in about a year before it clicked and I began to really appreciate Ae. Their later albums are nice and all, but their it's their mid-period stuff (Amber thru ep7, including the EPs and Gescom too) that I'll always love the most - LP5 being the pinnacle of their catalogue imho.

That's exactly what happened to me. Except I bought Incunabula first after getting the Pi soundtrack, then I got Tri Rep and let it sit for a bit...wasn't that impressed until I decided to buy LP5 and it clicked instantly.

FIRST POST! :)

Band mate back in highschool turned me on to them... Was about the time EP7 came out. I was already into ambient and industrial music , but AE was certainly something fresh to my ears.

i was buying all the warp stuff from the day LFO's LFO came out so when incula came out I was on it.....its scary to think it was about 15 years ago now..

I have just seen how quite a few of you are only new to Autechre which really surprised me....it must be strange to hear Chiastic 10 years after it was released you must loose some context of what other electronic music was out at the same time. but its great you are getting into them I do hope your electronic music journey lets you find some amazing elecrto acoustic, avant electronics, academic electronics from the 60s ad 70s etc lots of amazing instumental electronic music about :-)

Autechre to always seems beyond everyone else. I remember when they released Confield and there were constant complaints of their new colder sounds, complete with endless wishes to return to their Amber days. Four years later, and everyone says Confield is their favorite.

I remember Draft 7.30 did not get too good a reception on here either, some people thought it was more intentionally abstruse than Confield and were still waiting for a return to the old sound. Now it seems people have settled their grievances with the new sound.

Guest Ultravisitor

late 2006.

i had seen the videos around the time warpvision came out and i heard little snippets of untilted, but never paid enough attention.

then my brother told me to buy incunabula (purely for kalpol introl) and upon first listen i got to about half way through eggshell when that melody comes in, stopped it, put the cd back to the beginning and gave it a 'proper' listen.

since then i've just gone mental about them.

im so pissed off i didn't buy the special edition of quarstice in time.

:cry2:

In 99, i was 15, and after years of prodigy/chemical brothers/beatie boys/Wu tang clan ( my 13-15 years old first "own" music, and when I mean my own, it's that my father used to listen to the doors, can, jimmy hendrix, jeff buckley, and I really started to listen to music at the age of 13, in 1997 with the fat of the land from prodigy, my father bought me the cd....) well in 1999 I boguht windowlicker from aphex twin, because in was in the electric music section, and I just loved the cover... Then I started to get interessted in warp records, and bought a cd from them every time I could... And the first album by autechre I bought was LP5, then EP7, then Tri Repetae, peel sessions,and then Confield..... and step by step I bought their earlier stuff I well, but I never really manaed to get into amber and stuff....

But to do it short : In 99 with LP5, at the age of 15.

(just makes me realise it's been like almost 9 years I've been listening to this great music... doesn't seem that far away...

m so pissed off i didn't buy the special edition of quarstice in time.

There was a special code to buy this edition, you had to have at least 5 years of autechre experience to be able to buy it ;)

Archived