IGNORED

When did you get into autechre??

Guest murraypops

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

around LP5 time aswell... i've heard of them before hand but didn't seek them out. i heard a few tracks from before like basscad, second bad vilbel, but i really gave conscious listens to corc and vose in from a compilation i got in a magazine. bought tri rep and LP5. they've been my favs since!

My mate worked in the Merchant Navy and brought me a copy of Incunabula back from where ever. Then I swapped some kid I knew some weed for one of the 1 Basscadet 10''s then I bought Amber when it came out then...

Sometimes I wish that I had been with Autechre since the early 90's. It must have been exciting knowing that each album would more or less be unlike anything you had heard before. Plus the wealth of material. But alas, not that old.

Guest Enter a new display name

I rented Tri Repetae++ at the library around the end of 2005, I would say... I wasn't that impressed except for Garbagemx36. Then, I listened some samples of Incunabula on WarpMart and decided to order it in Spring of 2006. Since then, I'm addicted to their music! I knew them when I was 15 year old.

I think around '98, with the song Dael. I therefore HAD to buy Tri Rep. straight away, and I never looked back. Ok I take that back, I DID look back...at their back catalog... Since then, I have pretty much approved of everything Autechre related.

Guest mrgypsum

i bought confield and drukqs at the end of 2001 - after about a month of solid deliberation, i picked up everything i could by aphex and autechre.

I rented Tri Repetae++ at the library around the end of 2005, I would say... I wasn't that impressed except for Garbagemx36. Then, I listened some samples of Incunabula on WarpMart and decided to order it in Spring of 2006. Since then, I'm addicted to their music! I knew them when I was 15 year old.

Holy shit, same here except I loved Clipper. Then Garbagemx grew on me all the sudden and I bought Untilted. That was a shock.

Guest earlgrey

2002, I got hold of Confield after seeing AE mentioned so often in AFX reviews and being the only other Warp artist with lots of CDs for sale in my local's "Electronica" section. took a couple of weeks to sink in, but then it started making a WHOLE LOT of sense. I was initially unimpressed when I started going backwards through their catalogue; I got Tri Rep++ and it seemed okay, but kinda backgroundy and much less intense than Confield. Took a number of listens to realise that what appears as loops is subtly shifting with new permutations and arrangements of clicks etc. happening roughly every four bars in many of their tracks..

Nowadays I love all of their releases; Confield's my fave long-player still, but their '97 EPs are the most fun releases to listen to, IMHO.

i agree with the above poster that it would have been awesome to follow the group's progress all the way back from the Incunabula days..

I think Lanx 3 was the first tune i ever heard by Ae and it remains one of my very favourites to this day. I taped it off of John Peel. This was probably around 1993...? I bought incunabula on the strength of it and assumed it would be on there. I didn't know what the tune was called or what release it was from until i got the mp3 from Ivo about 12 years later.

It must be a very different experience for the post-2000 people to go backwards. I got into Ae from the Artificial Intelligence comp in 1994. When Tri Repetae came out just two years later, I was fuckin floored. But, I guess if you hear Confield or Chiastic Slide first, Tri Rep would sound a little less dazzling

It was different, but not that different. I started in 2005, but I started with Confield and Chiastic Slide. And then with Incunabula. :ok:

Bought chiastic slide when it was new in 97 (I think) also bought hard normal daddy at the same time. think I read it was some good f'ed up electronic stuff. I was well into nin and metal type stuff so I didn't really get it and sold the CD's a few months later. (Although I loved the first half of cipater (and still do). Around this time I also remeber lsitening to saw2 and hating it/thinking it was boring as hell. lol

fast foward to 2001ish where I downloaded a few ae tracks here and there and some squarepusher - thought it was ok

fast foward to 2003/4 ish when I was wasted and heard some of this stuff on random in winamp and realised druqs and tri rep / all the rest of the catalogue is fucking amazing and have not looked back.

Just for the record I recieved venus 17 and bigloada 12inch in the mail last week and 2 mixes by afx. also have bought all the Autechre/afx/squarepusher CDs I can get my hands on but don't have LP5 yet ..

SO to make it short it took me 6 or so years from first listen...

i can't remember what year it was but when i seen second bad vilbel on MTV's Amp i was

F U C K I N G

B L O W N

A W A Y!!!!!!

the noise in the beginning of the song and the beats had me hooked i knew at that time i wanted to make some form of electronic music and have been for 9 years now.

i searched all local record stores in knoxville tn and could only find "Envane" and the beats and wicked melodies of "Laughing Quarter"...

B L E W

M Y

F U C K I N G

H E A D O F F!!!!!!!

then i got my first pc and searched for warp records finding aphex and boc getting my

H E A D

F U C K I N G

B L O W N

A W A Y!!!!!!!

now... i own all their cds and am still amazed by the way rob and sean make music. they are

F U C K I N G

G E N I U S

lotta respect for ae FUCKIN A man people that havn't heard of autechre just don't know what they are missing

"Flutter" rips my fucking head off!!! that song and laughing quarter are the best songs eVar by them ae boys.

LONG LIVE AUTECHRE!!!!!!!!

Being a Skinny Puppy fan for far longer than Autechre, I stumbled upon Ae's remix of Killing Game and was like wtf. And later on my friend got into it so I started listening to LP5 and Untilted.

Autechre has totally changed my musical creativity. The style of my music has changed drastically since listening to them.

Dammit. I wish I was a programming genius and could make the huge elaborate programs in Max/MSP. That would make life worth living.

if my nephew was on this board, he'd be like: "my uncle was listening to dropp and i asked him what it was... i've been a fan ever since!"... although it happened today... showed him a few more tracks today and he's totally stoked!

Asymmetrical, you seem to involve Autechre's music in your daily life, like listening some Autechre out loud in your car, showing your friends, etc. Does your wife and child both listen to Autechre as well? You seem to have no shame about it, while I'm hiding the band from everybody to not look too weird. I'm curious to know how Autechre influences your lifestyle.

Asymmetrical, you seem to involve Autechre's music in your daily life, like listening some Autechre out loud in your car, showing your friends, etc. Does your wife and child both listen to Autechre as well? You seem to have no shame about it, while I'm hiding the band from everybody to not look too weird. I'm curious to know how Autechre influences your lifestyle.

well... good observations and good questions... i'm sure most here know that autechre are my favorites... of course i didn't really get into them when i first heard them 11 years ago. they grew on me within about a years time and were my favs ever since. in 1999 i got a chance to see them live at coachella and although thier stage show looked like 2 guys working in an office, i was totally entranced by the music and that live show made me want to make music which i then started to do about 4 years later. i do graphic design with ae playing always (not so much now since we're living with my parents). my wife doesn't necesarrily dig ae but she does appreciate what they do (she also loves the ending of augmatic disport... it taps into her hip hop roots). my son does a little dance when ae plays (but then again, he does the same dance to the "backyardagans!"). as far as bumpin' ae in my car, i don't have the luxury of listening to music full blast at home, therefore i always bump my music in the car, and i always turn it up when ae plays because for me, the best way to listen to ae is full blast! with the bass and sounds and sparadic bits going on, i love to hear those sounds around me! i don't think i'm the biggest ae fan here, but it's true that i don't give a damn of what people think when i listen to them... when i'm asked "who's your favorite band/musician/whatever?" i never hesitate and say "autechre"... i give a brief explanation of what they are about and don't expect the asker to be interested. but if they are, i'll be more than happy to show them what autechre is all about! i'm never questioned about my musical tastes because i sort of have this way about me that people would be afraid to offend me (see several threads about "what do your friends say about electronic music?"). i'm not saying i'm a toughguy or anything, i certainly won't be offended if questioned! i basically always think about autechre... but their influences mostly show through my graphic designing... i don't sound anything like them and i don't try to. but there were structures of there's that i used as a model for music making before!

Guest cyphersum

after hearing the first 1000 milliseconds of Incunabula. I picked up AI, F.U.S.E., Ae and Polygon Window all the same day after I had listened to Bytes. I worked in a CD store at the time they came out. Before this I was into industrial and hip hop... that series set everything 'electronic music' into motion for me.

well... good observations and good questions... i'm sure most here know that autechre are my favorites... of course i didn't really get into them when i first heard them 11 years ago. they grew on me within about a years time and were my favs ever since. in 1999 i got a chance to see them live at coachella and although thier stage show looked like 2 guys working in an office, i was totally entranced by the music and that live show made me want to make music which i then started to do about 4 years later. i do graphic design with ae playing always (not so much now since we're living with my parents). my wife doesn't necesarrily dig ae but she does appreciate what they do (she also loves the ending of augmatic disport... it taps into her hip hop roots). my son does a little dance when ae plays (but then again, he does the same dance to the "backyardagans!"). as far as bumpin' ae in my car, i don't have the luxury of listening to music full blast at home, therefore i always bump my music in the car, and i always turn it up when ae plays because for me, the best way to listen to ae is full blast! with the bass and sounds and sparadic bits going on, i love to hear those sounds around me! i don't think i'm the biggest ae fan here, but it's true that i don't give a damn of what people think when i listen to them... when i'm asked "who's your favorite band/musician/whatever?" i never hesitate and say "autechre"... i give a brief explanation of what they are about and don't expect the asker to be interested. but if they are, i'll be more than happy to show them what autechre is all about! i'm never questioned about my musical tastes because i sort of have this way about me that people would be afraid to offend me (see several threads about "what do your friends say about electronic music?"). i'm not saying i'm a toughguy or anything, i certainly won't be offended if questioned! i basically always think about autechre... but their influences mostly show through my graphic designing... i don't sound anything like them and i don't try to. but there were structures of there's that i used as a model for music making before!

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer! Autechre recently grew on me again and they might be my favorite music group at the moment. ^^

Archived