IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

baudolino.jpg

Haven't started to read it yet but I must say I really like the aestethics, the cover and design of this book

The figure, the blue, those faux-gold imprinted letters, the feel...

you can't get that shit with a kindle

That's one I've been meaning to pick up for a while. Be interested to hear thoughts on it.

I have Eco's Focault's Pendulum. I read good reviews about it so I bought it... But I can't really "enjoy" it, mainly because it's really hard for me to read. I like to understand all that is written in a book, but this one, just in Chapter 1, has so many, many references and quotes and stuff that I can't really appreciate it the way I want. I guess I'm too stupid or/and uncultured... I bet that book is written in a similar way, but if you can understand it, I think it's a pretty good read.

I really enjoyed "Focault's Pendulum" and "In the Name of the Rose", that's why I want to know about that one...;)

I'm also a fan of Focault's Pendulum and In the Name of the Rose, but so far those are the only Eco novels I can get into... I started The Island of the Day Before last year and it just got completely dry about 200 pages in, after a pretty refreshing start. I'll have to try again someday. Might not have been in the mood.

(edit: re: logakght:)

FP is in large part about the accumulation of those obscure references and data points, and the construction of meaning from them. It might help to read something like The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail first (critically, very critically, with full power to your bullshit detectors) to get Eco's point re: constructing and deconstructing conspiracy theories. And actually the Templar "theories" in THBATHG are pretty good background for the novel, anyway.

But by the same token, that stuff is (in-fiction) supposed by the credulous "Diabolicals" to be occult knowledge, so I don't think you really need to have much of a grounding in it going in... and to try to know everything is precisely the trap Eco sets up for those characters. Don't do that. You can't do that.

Edited by baph

Book one in a trilogy apparently....

Picked this up a couple of weeks back and only just got round to starting it last night.

WOW! Really well written. Not particularly ground breaking in fantasy concepts so far but the story telling is impeccable and I found myself rattling through the first 17 chapters with barely a pause. Actually looking forward to getting back from work so I can read some more. This has not happened in a long time.Name_Of_The_Wind_Gollancz_Signed_Final.jpg

Edited by feltcher

Reading Flannery O'Connor's short stories. Holy Catholic parables, Batman!

I really liked O'Connor's short stories in high school, wonder what I'd think about them now. Though I'm not a Catholic nor have ever been, I enjoyed her hardcore "no excuses for living a bad life" approach. It's sort of like the Holden Caulfield "everyone's a phony"...but for Catholics.

Vineland was not the best of Pynchon but quite OK. After that I also read this, which was nice:

SandmanTheDreamHunters_Paperback_1185846084.jpg

Now trying to figure out what to read next from my shelf. Might go with Murakami's 1Q84.

Calling all history nerds or Francophiles....can anyone recommend a relatively good overview of the French Revolution? I only have texts in bits and pieces, texts that only really focus on the Wars and Napoleon, or on the effects of the Fr. Rev. in their colonial territories....I really want to get a good handle on what was happening in France itself.

A well reviewed academic manuscript or even textbook would be preferred, but public historys /journalistic manuscripts are absolutely fine as well...this is more for personal hobby, not for a paper or anything.

that's it. book 2 - high society, is already a whole lot better than book 1^~^

the series is amazing. Some of the finest work ever put out in a graphic novel.

They sound very interesting. From what's on wiki and a few trawls over the interweb, I think I'll give them a go. Is it worth starting from issue 1 or just jump in wherever?

Guest Ron Manager

Calling all history nerds or Francophiles....can anyone recommend a relatively good overview of the French Revolution? I only have texts in bits and pieces, texts that only really focus on the Wars and Napoleon, or on the effects of the Fr. Rev. in their colonial territories....I really want to get a good handle on what was happening in France itself.

A well reviewed academic manuscript or even textbook would be preferred, but public historys /journalistic manuscripts are absolutely fine as well...this is more for personal hobby, not for a paper or anything.

As you can imagine the literature is vast, and as you probably know a lot of it is somewhat controversial (e.g. Marxist vs non-Marxist interpretations, etc... here's a decent overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historiography_of_the_French_Revolution). If you want a brief survey, the little Very Short Introduction (if you have them in the States) is a good 100-page overview of everything, written by William Doyle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-French-Revolution-Introduction-Introductions/dp/0192853961/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350774598&sr=8-3). Doyle also wrote the general Oxford History of the French Revolution, which is probably one of the best overviews by an Anglophone historian (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Oxford-History-French-Revolution/dp/019925298X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350774598&sr=8-1). The leading modern French authority was Francois Furet. His classic work is translated as 'Revolutionary France, 1770-1880', but the first half up to 1814 can be had excerpted: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Revolution-1770-1814-History-France/dp/0631202994/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350775038&sr=1-2

Guest bitroast

that's it. book 2 - high society, is already a whole lot better than book 1^~^

the series is amazing. Some of the finest work ever put out in a graphic novel.

They sound very interesting. From what's on wiki and a few trawls over the interweb, I think I'll give them a go. Is it worth starting from issue 1 or just jump in wherever?

I'm only on book 2 and probably not the best person to ask.

I'm a bit of a completist though, and felt it was necessary to tackle it from the beginning. I enjoyed a few moments in Book 1, but overall the book definitely dragged and the stories felt disjointed. Most of the stories were along the lines of 'Cerebus gets money', 'Cerebus loses money', back and forth again.

Book 2 has focused on the one continuing story of Cerebus joining a political campaign and running for Prime Minister, and has been a real pleasure to read^^. There are some recurring characters and references that had been introduced in Book 1, but overall i can't imagine you'd really be missing all that much.