IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Finished Dubliners and Libra. Also read Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Chronicles and Oliver Sacks' Musicophilia in the last couple of weeks.

murakami has this certain feeling of dread permeating through parts of his books. the feelings get intense during the more surreal / dreamlike parts (the bottom of the well / dream hotel scenes come to mind in wind-up bird). his plots seem very direct and simplistic at first, but that adds to the atmosphere of wrongness. or something.

Finished Dubliners and Libra. Also read Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Chronicles and Oliver Sacks' Musicophilia in the last couple of weeks.

Musicophillia, is it good? I would like more "in-depth" information about music and brain, and I've seen some reviews about that book and said a bit the opposite.

Musicophillia, is it good? I would like more "in-depth" information about music and brain, and I've seen some reviews about that book and said a bit the opposite.

It's mostly a sort of collection of patient histories regarding how neural disorders and damage affects musical perception, like tonality, timbre and rhythm either by heightening or by inhibiting them. Also some interesting notes on how music can be used as a tool for therapy for people suffering various neural disorders. It's not really an in-depth look into how music works in the brain. If you've read Sacks' "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" then it's kind of similar but the cases are musically themed.

At one point he referenced Rouget's "Music and Trance: A Theory of the Relations Between Music and Possession" which seems interesting. I'll be probably getting this sometime.

murakami has this certain feeling of dread permeating through parts of his books. the feelings get intense during the more surreal / dreamlike parts (the bottom of the well / dream hotel scenes come to mind in wind-up bird). his plots seem very direct and simplistic at first, but that adds to the atmosphere of wrongness. or something.

Heh, yeah. I find some of his work kind of Philip K. Dick-ian, like the Hard-boiled Wonderland and 1Q84 in a sense that there's two or more separate story lines or even different worlds that seem unrelated at first then start to converge towards the end.

Also the male protagonists in his books seem to be sort of "lost" or antiheroic guys who interact with a cavalcade of strange female characters and that leads to bizarre and surreal situations. Somehow I can relate with that. :smile:

Guest Ron Manager

Speaking of PKD, just started The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Only ever read The Man In The High Castle. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Speaking of PKD, just started The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Only ever read The Man In The High Castle. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

I think I've read most of PKD's work in the last twenty years but probably I missed some novels. I can't remember exactly what I've read because there's so much of it over such a long period and I just read what I came across unsystematically. At least I know I haven't read his Exegesis.

As for "now reading" I'm currently reading Carroll's Alice in Wonderland stories.

Just finished Tolkien's The Silmarillion. Interesting ancient history of Middle-earth and the lands across the sea to the west. Also has a good overview of the events just before The Lord of the Rings, going into a lil bit of detail about the origin of the wizards and the meetings of the White Council.

Guest Ron Manager

I think I've read most of PKD's work in the last twenty years but probably I missed some novels. I can't remember exactly what I've read because there's so much of it over such a long period and I just read what I came across unsystematically. At least I know I haven't read his Exegesis.

As for "now reading" I'm currently reading Carroll's Alice in Wonderland stories.

Any tips? I've got Ubik and Valis in mind to check out soon, as they seem to get mentioned quite a lot. I guess Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is probably a should-read too.

Any tips? I've got Ubik and Valis in mind to check out soon, as they seem to get mentioned quite a lot. I guess Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is probably a should-read too.

I don't remember everything, but yeah, the Electric Sheep and Valis-trilogy (VALIS, The Divine Invasion, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer) are good. I remember also liking The Time Out of Joint, Now Wait for Last Year and Galactic Pot Healer. A Scanner Darkly is also considered a classic but I did not personally find it that interesting. The animated movie was good though.

Ubik is brilliant, as is A Scanner Darkly.

Just finished Tolkien's The Silmarillion. Interesting ancient history of Middle-earth and the lands across the sea to the west. Also has a good overview of the events just before The Lord of the Rings, going into a lil bit of detail about the origin of the wizards and the meetings of the White Council.

The Silmarillion would make an epic film.

Awesome that you can buy them as a pack now ! You get these stories :

• The Man in the High Castle
  • The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • Ubik
  • Martian Time-Slip
  • Dr. Bloodmoney
  • Now Wait for Last Year
  • Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
  • A Scanner Darkly
  • A Maze of Death
  • VALIS
  • The Divine Invasion
  • The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

12-11.jpg

Those are hardcover books, take the dust cover off and it's like :

519215879_b85cbf52b2.jpg

About the only thing left to get it the Short Story Collection, and you've got 95% of his written oeuvre.

i personally dislike having so much of an author's work packed into a single book like that (or three books in this case). the paper quality is also hit or miss with the library of america books, it's often thin and brittle with clostraphobic margins. plus it looks lame to just have a diverse array of authors on your shelf in matching volumes like that, it brings to mind that encyclopedia brittanica cool kid from the 80s.

idk what the point of this post is exactly. juss sayin i guess

Edited by Alcofribas

i personally dislike having so much of an author's work packed into a single book like that (or three books in this case). the paper quality is also hit or miss with the library of america books, it's often thin and brittle with clostraphobic margins. plus it looks lame to just have a diverse array of authors on your shelf in matching volumes like that, it brings to mind that encyclopedia brittanica cool kid from the 80s.

idk what the point of this post is exactly. juss sayin i guess

Fair enough - I have no experience with library of america books so can't comment on that one way or the other.

I don't mind omnibus editions as long as they're done well....don't really mind what it looks like so much.

Guest Ron Manager

just finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. strange and thought-provoking read, really enjoyed it. can't decide what exactly happened at the end. i'm a PKD newb, but would definitely recommend to anyone.