IGNORED

Bad Autechre Live Review

Guest Jase Space

Guest Jase Space

Anyone agree with this?

http://music.guardian.co.uk/live/story/0,,2261916,00.html.

Rochdale's Sean Booth and Rob Brown have become leading practitioners of what has been tagged "electronic music", a term synonymous with former ravers who have subsequently grown beards and started reading novels. Autechre loathe the tag; perhaps enough to develop a form of live performance which is, on the face of it, very silly.

The venue is freezing cold and everything is pitch black, including the stage, which results in the curious spectacle of people in darkness staring at people in darkness. It is almost a parody of the old cliche that electronic duos are nothing to look at - only a glimpse of movement suggests they are actually on stage.

Autechre are rather fond of in-jokes, and seem to be worryingly aware of the old Throbbing Gristle jape about locating a sonic frequency that will empty people's bowels. The sub-bass, that rumbles discreetly on their albums, is cranked up to levels so high that you expect reports of another earthquake.

Stomach contents stay where they are, but their biggest prank is to mess with people's heads, as their own music is scrambled and mashed-up beyond recognition. Vaguely danceable rhythms are suddenly destroyed by sonic screeches.

Some brave souls look po-faced as if this is something terribly important; others look baffled. One poor man is so disoriented that he walks into a door. When the duo start speeding everything up to comedy levels you start to wonder if this will be the first time "electronic music" has given an entire audience black eyes. It seems less like a performance than a bizarre experiment in human behaviour.

Guest uncle traveling matt

i 100% agree with this and i will 100% love every minute of experiencing it.

Guest burnibus

man from the guardian is a numpty.

the recent live set from the quaristice tour is amazing dance music throughout. absolutley stunning in every way.

You gotta ask yourself why would a man who complains about bass go to a gig of any sort?

That reviewer seemed to be out of his element, just like the guy who reviewed Untilted on Pitchfork (Cringe).

These publications should not send people to concerts (or to review CD's) if they already have negative preconceptions about the band. It's like sending me to a Mark Ronson gig and expecting a fair review. People who review concerts should be familiar with the genre and the band. Not some old faggot in waistcoat who complains about the bass being too noisy for him. What does this pocket-watch wearing motherfucker expect?

To summarize: It serves no purpose to employ this man to review a concert when he clearly is not a fan of this genre. Now can someone go fuck his ass?

Guest Larry David
...When the duo start speeding everything up to comedy levels....

Truly a sad day for the Guardian - a terrible review by someone who hates the Beatles...

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1087283,00.html

Judging from this Mr Simpson is a bit of an old skool headbanger who prefers the luscious production and programming of yorkshire rockers Kasabian to anything remotely intelligent or electronic

Guest hahathhat

if someone were stupid enough to let me do a gig there would be a few ambulances called before they pulled me off stage

can't wait for the local autechre gig

Guest venhar

i doubt this fukin tool was ever there...

anyone remember that outdoor gig they did in the late 90s in Glasgow, at the docks with the dancing cranes...black dog were there also

peace

Guest Maxer

I was at the London gig last night, one of my friends had brought the review with him. We stopped Sean Booth after their set and had a chat with him about it. He said they had been having a good laugh over it all day. We read a few bits from it and he started cracking up again. But honestly, how can you complain about bass. Prick. Everyone should write letters.

as their own music is scrambled and mashed-up beyond recognition. Vaguely danceable rhythms are suddenly destroyed by sonic screeches.

Why be a music writer if you have no concept of music? Or is that why you end up being a music writer? My friend who came with me last night found the fact that Autechre seemed to concentrate of the idea of texture almost as much as they do rhythm to be pretty interesting and I agree. Clearly this guy doesn't have much idea about music.

is it just me or does the writing staff for the guardian comprise of complete utter fucking morons

Its just you. I have a good friend who writes for The Guardian and his musical knowledge well surpasses that of most of the morons who post on here.

i doubt this fukin tool was ever there...

True, that review does sound like he has used google and ended up here for the info to write it.

Lets face it though, all reviews suck. I thought that was common knowledge?

Archived