IGNORED

Autechre - Aust and NZ Tour

Guest analogue wings

Guest analogue wings
haha what?

would anyone see them down here? i've always thought that would be the main reason people like that wouldn't come... unless they just wanted a work-holiday or something.

Did you go to Vibert?

I was like "it'll be me and 4 fat nerds", but no - shit was pumping.

I think student radio and alt tv talk that kind of stuff up and get a lot of "casual" fans along.

Guest musicforairports
i'd love ae in nz

as long as they came to wellington

im not driving up to auckland

hopefully they'll hit both, but i would love to see ae in nz either ways!

Guest bitroast

im finally 18. im finally 18.

this would be awesome. hope this is actually true and not some bollocks.

Guest analogue wings
well luke vibert has a little bit of a broader following with having been on ninja tune etc.

but yeah, i think actually people would just go because it's an international act in a way... surely that's the only way to explain half the population of chch going to see bon jovi a few months ago.

a LOT of people know who Autechre are. People who are into "progressive" and "experimental" music in general and not necessarily electro peeps etc

Guest analogue wings

nothing is confirmed yet. discussions are underway. wellington is included in the discussions.

Guest musicforairports
nothing is confirmed yet. discussions are underway. wellington is included in the discussions.

thanks for the info man, plus yeah autechre definitely have a crowd down here. Quaristice was recently got a full-page review in the listener magazine, a fairly large and well-known publication plus they would get heaps of promotion on stuff like alt tv maybe bust out the old second bad vibel video to draw the casual fans in.

Guest bitroast

well, if there is consideration of coming to australia, autechre should know that i would defintiely go. and that has got to mean something!

Yes blyz castl.

fixd

and oh yeah, fuckin' melbourne cunts better be there if they come, and we gotta have those "few beers" that i was suggesting in the thread that was ignored a couple of weeks ago!

Guest analogue wings

thanks for the info man, plus yeah autechre definitely have a crowd down here. Quaristice was recently got a full-page review in the listener magazine, a fairly large and well-known publication plus they would get heaps of promotion on stuff like alt tv maybe bust out the old second bad vibel video to draw the casual fans in.

haha i saw that review... i thought that was a bit weird to be in the listener... let alone the feature review.

Ok here's that review...

Idea overload

by Jim Pinckney

Autechre’s new album is crammed with invention but lacks direction.

Is there a group that more quintessentially defines the 90s wave of electronica than Autechre? The dour duo of Sean Booth and Rob Brown, who come from Rochdale in England and permeate the bulk of their work with a jagged northern industrial edge, tick virtually every imaginable electronica box − right down to the infuriatingly unpronounceable, meaningless song titles.

Throughout their career, they have been a music intelligentsia name to drop, often by people who probably do a lot more talking than actual listening. That is understandable, given that all Autechre albums contain at least a few cacophonous tracks that can make you question whether the group actually want you to be listening, at least more than once.

Considerably warmer than Untilted, Autechre’s cheekily named last album, Quaristice still doesn’t have the impact of Tri Repetae, which remains arguably their finest, and least unnecessarily difficult, work.

Though I’m sure the group would argue the point, it’s hard not to find yourself searching for signs of significant, positive stylistic development in the Autechre camp since their superb first album, 1993’s Incunabula. That was released when Sheffield’s Warp label seemed to have tapped a direct line into the most exciting and progressive electronic material coming out of the UK and elsewhere. The often discordant and challenging sounds of a couple of electro and hip-hop fans with a serious electronic bent, basically making their machines argue on record, was vital and fresh.

Fifteen years later and the unpredictable has become anything but. Furthermore, the moments of shimmering, melodic beauty and rhythmic invention, which were the pay-off for the clatter and allowed other kinds of emotion to seep into their soundscapes, seem to have become fewer.

When Autechre do allow themselves the indulgence of a steady beat and firm focus, most notably on the foreboding subterranean techno of Rale and the shady soundtrack WNSN, it gives their oblique shards and awkward rhythms a solid base and reminds you why they are held in such high regard.

The Plc is also successful, with layers of irresistible percolating electro sounds and a masterful protracted ending as the track gloriously decays throughout its final two minutes.

The pair stated in recent interviews that the material for this album, which originated in their live equipment set-up, was never intended for release and much of it was culled from extended jams. This process has produced some winners, but it may also be the main contributor to the album’s lack of overall flow and the feeling that some of the 20 tracks are mere sketches that have come out of the oven undercooked.

Untypically, the problem isn’t a deficit of ideas, but rather a surplus. Several of the tracks, despite their short lengths, are crammed with invention, but are crying out for a distinct direction. As with their insistence on graceless song titles, there are moments where you wonder if the electronic bombardment is simply designed to grate.

The penultimate track, Notwo, is the album’s hidden treasure: beatless and ambient, it could be a starting block for a B-side track on David Bowie’s Heroes or Low. It is stunning and deserves more than being shuffled away at the end with the also excellent Outhx9.

After nine albums, I was hoping for a little more clarity from their musical confusion, but Autechre continue to place demands on the listener, and innovate and irritate in roughly equal measures.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go to a Christchurch gig yo. Lots of students and geeks here, should go off.

Plus its a nice place to visit, lots of nice scenery down south, have a soak in the hot pools on the way through etc etc. :) Nice working holiday material I reckon.

Guest musicforairports
I would go to a Christchurch gig yo. Lots of students and geeks here, should go off.

Plus its a nice place to visit, lots of nice scenery down south, have a soak in the hot pools on the way through etc etc. :) Nice working holiday material I reckon.

I think they would get a definite rochdale vibe from christchurch

Archived