IGNORED

how ocd are you about your music collection?

Guest zaphod

Guest zaphod

if you own physical music, do you have a specific way of keeping it arranged? do you have a system? if you have mp3s, do you have to have all of the tags and album art perfect before you can do anything? do you rate every song? is there a special system in place that is specific to you? do you make playlists?

me, i'm not very neat about this stuff but i'm trying to devise a system for my digital music collection because it's gotten out of hand after years of neglect. i don't have much vinyl and sold all my cds so that pretty much arranges itself.

all my cds and cassttes are piled up in boxes in my mom's laundry room :(

and i gave all my records to my best friend (and fellow watmmer) davemike

so im not fussy. when i had my own place i kept my cds in shelves, not really in any order though.

mp3s are a little more crazy though. i used to be really anal about having everything tagged correctly and organized in folders and shit.. now i just download a bunch of music into a single folder, sometimes with sub-folders like artists or albums,, but i really dont care too much. i usually just put all my mp3s into a giant playlist and hit random..

ive lost many hours of my life organzing my itunes...

I've tried to keep cds in order but since moving recently everything is still boxed up for the most part. And ever since I've mostly switched to buying vinyl I've been trying to keep that organized but not being able to find any stores that carry milk crates (to me the perfect way of storing other than a vinyl wall shelf) makes that difficult.

I'm extremely OCD about my moosics. I've been slacking lately though, as my external HD (where I keep ma tunes) is full, so I'm having anxiety attacks because I HAVE TO KEEP MA MOOSICS ON 2 DIFFERENT DRIVES!!!! OH NOES!!!

Guest my usernames always really suck

I keep all the shit i don't listen to anymore at the very bottom where i dont have to look at it, and spiders and shit build nests there

My records are scattered and so are my cd's, but my digital collection is pretty organized. It goes something like this:

music/idm/warp/warp-numbers_lucent_ep-warp258-2009

a1-zounds_perspex.flac

a2-paradise_garage.flac

etc...

That seems to be the standard, so I stick to that with a few exceptions.

I'm not overly ocd. I keep my cds organized by artist but not alphabetically. Same thing with my tapes and records. I keep all of my jungle 12"s in a separate shelf than my rock LPs .

My vinyl collection is about 1/3 jungle and about 2/3 rock & other.

i used to order my physical collection alphabetically and chronologically by artist, but since i moved into my new place i haven't felt safe enough to expose my diggs. in my new place we're on our own, no roomies, so i might bust it out and set it up again. i like my digital collection to be tagged and organised. but since my old laptop crashed and i had to physically take my music off of my ipod and on to my new lap top, a quarter or third or my 80gb collection that was on my ipod was tagged using 4 character names like AFTM or something. i know most of em but there are some that i don't. and if i change the folder then itunes (i'm sorry) won't recognise the files. i'm just fucking lazy i guess. i've really been meaning to fix it up though. it bugs me whenever i play tunes on my computer

Guest zaphod

anyone here make a big deal about tagging the genre? i never cared before but i've recently been making up genre names to fit with each artist and it has lapsed into hyphenated self parody.

I'm not overly ocd. I keep my cds organized by artist but not alphabetically. Same thing with my tapes and records. I keep all of my jungle 12"s in a separate shelf than my rock LPs .

My vinyl collection is about 1/3 jungle and about 2/3 rock & other.

*failed edit*

I also live in a small NY apartment so my organization has to be more for spacial concerns than anything else.

I have an Ikea cd shelf like this...

45189.jpg

... that has empty cases.

I keep most of my cds in 2 separate 200 capacity cd books (that are full).

The remainder are stored in the bottom compartment of another shelf that is rapidly filling.

I still buy cds. I don't download a whole lot.

My downloaded music is all on my old iMac like this...

imac-2002.jpg

I obviously use iTunes.

I rarely use my white MacBook for mp3s but there are some straggling files on it. Mostly AFX live shit I've downloaded from here.

My CDs are all currently lined up by release date. If the same year, then by month. If same month, then by day. If the same release date, then by alphabetical order.

I got pissed when my ex left me, re-arranged them all (1000+).

Yes, it's like High Fidelity

my digital collection has to have release date on every album, as a [2009] prefix. it started as a neat idea, but as my collection grew, it turned into an unhealthy obsession. if i have a particular album, i can't rest until i find the release date of it

Im slowly digitalising my collection, it's a bitch. But I have to, someday. VBR V0. I bring in 5 CD each day at work and try to rip them with EAC. Everything is brought back at home each month and backed up. Everything is really tagged like a freak. Artists vs performers for classical music per example or multiple versions of compositions.

I have no idea how to classify my bootlegs versus "normal" albums.

I'll switch my CD's into CD books by the end of the year, screw the jewel cases. That'll give me a nice extra storage place (even if having rows and rows of CD is nice)

not really organized (thank god, I could never cope with another ocd-ish quirk with all the ones I have already)

I just throw all my folders into one huge winamp playlist and use the search function, I do organize the mp3s in winamp most of the time, but I never organize the 'physical' mp3s on my harddrive, it works flawlessly for me though.

Guest bitroast

with CDs i have electronic stuff on the left and in alphabetical order, then everything else also in alphabetical order. i also have stacks of CDs elsewhere but theyre just stacks, no order and dont really care about them.

my mp3s i'm super OCD about them. you can browse me files on soulseek if you wanna see how super organised it is + i find it REALLY difficult to delete stuff, so there's alot of stuff to be organised. ontop of that, everything is in genres as to how i like it with album artwork for everything.

I'm a complete fucknut when it comes to arranging my music and DVDs. When I moved into my new place I packed my CDs the way they were arranged on my shelves so nothing would change once had moved in

artist - album [year]

if there are more than 2 albums by the same artist, it goes: artist\[year] album

no mp3s, just lossless.

physical cds are scattered all over in shelves, drawers, desks...

Archived