IGNORED

Aphex Twin opinion on Oval.

joshuatxuk

I remember listening to the BBC Radio 3 program in which RDJ said Oval sampled his material, and furthermore that he enjoyed it, while discussing "The Politics Of Digital Audio" from the Oval album Systemisch. This is mentioned in "the official unofficial aphex twin faq" .txt file in the interwebs:

- There is a program from the people of Oval which functions as sort of a CD

player on the Macintosh platform. It has a record button which lets you

collect samples from the CD and rearrange them into a track that sounds like

an Oval track. You can then add it to the menu of your CD so that every time

you reopen the CD, you have more tracks: your own Oval re-mixes of the CD

available to play.

"They did that to my album, actually: Selected Ambient Works," claims

Richard. "I am good at recognising sounds, I swear they did it. I was really

getting into the album, and thinking, yeah, that sounds really familiar, and

found my whole album being torn apart, it's quite good though, and I didn't

know which way to take it. Did they like my album or did they just think,

'Well, this CD is rubbish; let's tear it apart'? That was what I liked most

about their record." -

I haven't listened to Oval much nor do I know if it is SAW I or SAWII in question, assuming it is a legit story. Does anyone know or have a hunch? Apologies if this has been covered in another thread.

remember reading an interview with biosphere in some book on electronic music and he said he met RDJ at the R&S offices (didn't say what biosphere was doing there). RDJ had a bag of cassettes (some of which must have been digeridoo & xylem tube)

can't remember which release specifically, but (biosphere said) RDJ said he really liked one of biosphere's early releases

apparently autechre and squarepusher were "mates" aswell...so i don't know where squarepusher not liking any warp artists came from

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

remember reading an interview with biosphere in some book on electronic music and he said he met RDJ at the R&S offices (didn't say what biosphere was doing there). RDJ had a bag of cassettes (some of which must have been digeridoo & xylem tube)

can't remember which release specifically, but (biosphere said) RDJ said he really liked one of biosphere's early releases

apparently autechre and squarepusher were "mates" aswell...so i don't know where squarepusher not liking any warp artists came from

http://www.discogs.com/Bleep-The-North-Pole-By-Submarine/master/69443

ha

i still have that tape

i sampled one of the plebby presenters saying "do you like jungle?"

Nice!

Not sure what Biosphere had to do with Oval sampling, but the tangent was interesting, didn't he and RDJ had a connection.

Guest Abuse

That Oval track is featured in the film Julien Donkey-Boy where I first spotted it. It's sampled from SAW II but I don't remember which track.

It's on "Systemisch". "Meditation" is the most blatant; it's a chop of "Parallel Stripes"

Thanks! Figured it was SAWII, makes sense to sample from a mostly beatless release.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived