IGNORED

LP5 / Cichlisuite EP

thehauntingsoul

Under BOAC gives me real nostalgic feelings of sitting on the balcony outside my aunts flat when I was a little one - whacking the bars.

Very creative tune. Lovely fluttery synths at the end.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under BOAC always makes me think of some enourmous robotic monkey pounding on drums or something.

Actually that chris cunningham video with the 6 armed monkey is exactly what I'm thinking of but I can't really remember what the track he used in that vid was.

Love Cichlisuite. Awesome details, lots of Nord love, not too strong of emotions. Nice background music for working after 3+ cups of coffee.

As far as LP5, I thought it was mindblowing at first. Now it's kind of lost its lustre for me. But Vose In is still amazing, Corc is one of their most beautiful tracks.

Caliper Remote is also awesome. I love how short and minimal it is, feels "miniature", in its own snowy little moonlit world. Also, cool panning effects on the winding/drumroll-on-a-tin-can/coin-rattling-on-a-glass-table stuff.

Sorry for waxin' metaphoric, you know how it is.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Under BOAC always makes me think of some enourmous robotic monkey pounding on drums or something.

Actually that chris cunningham video with the 6 armed monkey is exactly what I'm thinking of but I can't really remember what the track he used in that vid was.

...mt saint michels?

since it was released in 1996, i think the ae keynell single release is fantastic. both keynells are was better than any of the gescom versions.

I've just listened to everything on LP5 except the silence after Drane2, all I have to say is this:

The shiny new style of LP5 is amazing, taking Ae's discography from the original style of analogue techno to the computerized skitter commonly known as Intelligent Dance Music. Acroyear2 is an solid opener with complex beats and more energy than a lithium battery factory. 777 has some of the grooviest entwining of rhythm and melody I've ever experienced. Rae gradually develops into a tearjerking masterpiece, once the heavily beat-oriented element of the track fades away, you're left on your own in a world of beautiful, soul-touching pain. Melve is a bit shit, but then again, it's the shortest track they've ever released.

The rest of the album is reasonable, but sometimes it seems to drag on for too long, like some of the tracks have breaks at the endings/openings that seem to last for ages. Still, there are some amazing moments. I'd give anything to be able to dance to the beat of Under BOAC, it makes my body go crazy with the twitching and the rocking.

After the breathtaking spectacle of Arch Carrier, the final track commences. The aptly named Drane2 is an unbelievable masterpiece, taking me to places I never thought my emotions could go. From the beginning, it captures your heart and makes you feel wonderful things. Then it grows. And grows. It drags you through colourful waves of pure emotion. You become fully aware of an infinity in this universe of good things and bad things, minute things and extraordinary things. It takes ten minutes of silence just for your body to recover.

This album may be a big step from the previous one, but it's still amazing. This is Autechre. This is what music is all about.

Cichlisuite review coming soon...

LP5 is my favorite Ae album, and one of my favorite albums in general. I really think they nailed the experimentalism crossed with the braindancing on this one. Meaning, all of the outlandish, alien sounding parts make perfect sense to me, and it's just totally groovin' in places. I've grown to enjoy all of Ae's albums, and more abstract music in general but this one is just magical. Corc is one of the only really abstract pieces of "IDM" that makes me very introspective, like a late night drive after some heavy shit just happened. I was REALLY obsessed with Acroyear2 when I first heard it.

I've just listened to everything on LP5 except the silence after Drane2, all I have to say is this:

The shiny new style of LP5 is amazing, taking Ae's discography from the original style of analogue techno to the computerized skitter commonly known as Intelligent Dance Music. Acroyear2 is an solid opener with complex beats and more energy than a lithium battery factory. 777 has some of the grooviest entwining of rhythm and melody I've ever experienced. Rae gradually develops into a tearjerking masterpiece, once the heavily beat-oriented element of the track fades away, you're left on your own in a world of beautiful, soul-touching pain. Melve is a bit shit, but then again, it's the shortest track they've ever released.

The rest of the album is reasonable, but sometimes it seems to drag on for too long, like some of the tracks have breaks at the endings/openings that seem to last for ages. Still, there are some amazing moments. I'd give anything to be able to dance to the beat of Under BOAC, it makes my body go crazy with the twitching and the rocking.

After the breathtaking spectacle of Arch Carrier, the final track commences. The aptly named Drane2 is an unbelievable masterpiece, taking me to places I never thought my emotions could go. From the beginning, it captures your heart and makes you feel wonderful things. Then it grows. And grows. It drags you through colourful waves of pure emotion. You become fully aware of an infinity in this universe of good things and bad things, minute things and extraordinary things. It takes ten minutes of silence just for your body to recover.

This album may be a big step from the previous one, but it's still amazing. This is Autechre. This is what music is all about.

Cichlisuite review coming soon...

Yo that was brilliant, you're on fire dragon! I'm holding in until later on in the week for mine but this is a quality post

Cichlisuite: I never really paid attention to this release. I'd heard endless jizzing about Tilapia but it never caught on with me and the original had always been a favorite of mine. Upon relistening, Yesland is pretty good. Pencha practically sounds like it could be off Untilted. Characi's speed up slow down style reminds me of Vose In - never a bad thing. Actually quite a bit of the way the instrumentation has been tinkered reminds me of Vose In albeit less dark. Krib starts pretty good then pitters off into boringness. As for tilapia, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Some of the melodies are cool but I'm not fond of the drum beats.

I'll be saving LP5 for later although normally I probably would have already listened to it once this week. This cd club is making it feel like homework, my procrastination instincts are kicking in.

Yesland

:facepalm:

although I can't really blame you because that's what I thought of when I first read the track name and it pretty much summarizes how I feel about the track (YES!!!)

Krib starts pretty good then pitters off into boringness.

Woah are you serious? I honestly can't imagine someone not finding Krib one of Ae's most beautifully emotional and sprawling tracks. It completely nails the atmosphere and flow, and the marble drop beat sounds random but it actually fits the groove exceptionally well if you listen closely.

I'll be saving LP5 for later although normally I probably would have already listened to it once this week. This cd club is making it feel like homework, my procrastination instincts are kicking in.

Haha I feel the same way, although with our experiment its probably better to procrastinate anyways and give yourself the good chunk of the week to digest the album and write a thoughtful review.

if you don't love tilapia you clearly haven't heard it loud enough.

i stand by my keynell assertion. anyone know who collabed with the some/all gescom keynells?

Although I've had Cichlisuite for a while, I don't think I've ever seriously listened to it. I've heard some of the tracks now and then, but I think this is the first time I've given it my full, undivided attention. We're all familiar with the LP5 era's massive change in style, and that sudden change seems to happen during Cichlisuite. Over the course of five tracks, you can almost hear the music become more and more computerized and digital, morphing into Intelligent Dance Music full of emotions and complex rhythms.

Yeesland was an unexpectedly awesome opener. It makes me think of bright sunlight shining on a cold, crisp day, except this day has an amazingly structured medley of kriks and clonks, with a bright, airy melody shining upon it.

Pencha is a thorough, detailed description of a psychotic episode. Fast, playful plonks of thought have a good old time crashing around your brain. They get faster and faster, more and more warped and confusing. You slowly become aware of your doom, and as the tempo creeps up on you, your brain becomes entrenched in claustrophobia. Every thought at once has to scream to get your immediate attention, and that woman over there definitely thinks you've got a big nose.

It's time to calm things down again with Characi. This is a carefully written mash of high-pitched bleeps underlining a beautifully sad melody. There are so many things to listen to, and you get to sit back and watch them fester around, changing size and tinkering in and out of existence. It's harsh and metallic, yet it still carries an essence of warmth and cosyness.

Krib is simply a sublime track, setting the perfect mood nicely with some glass-on-glass creaking adding to the effect.

It's weird that Tilapia, the track most closely resembling the original mix of Cichli, is placed at the end of the EP. But IMO, it's an epic closer, with some of the best elements of Cichli fusing together to complete the transformation from the old style to the next.

This EP has been a great listen. I'll definitely listen to Cichlisuite more often from now on. And thehauntingsoul, I'm looking forward to your breakdown of LP5 :rdjgrin:

I think LP5 was the first album I heard from them. I was immediately hooked after hearing Vose In for the first time. That track never bores me -- it's simple and repetitive but as with a lot of ae tracks, they manage to be subtle in the way the track slowly evolves e.g. new sounds creeping in, parts of the track being more emphasized than they were at the beginning etc..

Admittedly, I would not personally rate the album as one of my favourites from them as for me it isn't consistent.. my likes and dislikes vary on this album. I try to leave out the descriptions of tracks I don't like in these little reviews and concentrate on the positive points of view I hold for their music. Anyway, stand outs for me overall on this release are: Acroyear II (love the way the bassline develops and becomes more emphasized as the track progresses further), Rae (filled with emotive qualities and especially enjoyable on a cold, bright Autumn morning) and Under BOAC (this track demonstrates how well ae take to rhythm).

Guest Calx Sherbet

i think it's best to focus on the positives also. i like seeing all the joy that came out of it, all coming together.

LP5, one of my favorites but a tempermental bastard. It's not doing it for me right now.

I'll defend Melve which may be slight but works pretty well as a transition piece and as a break from everything else that's going on as far as rampant beatfuckery is concerned.

i wish i had access to enough talented musicians to play a live cover of fold4,wrap5.

i'm not suggesting i'm a particularly amazing musician, but being a guitarist i could easily follow the slowing drums if i could find a drummer that could play it!

Cichlisuite

Yeesland is a really swell track! I really enjoy how all the tracks on this EP have elements from cichli but mixed in a completely different order. The buildup for this track is amazing, and the pads that come in totally paint pictures of the atmosphere later crafted in LP5. The track has some sweet bass and gets going at a good pace, but when it really reaches its mark, I think, is when the bird chirp type of sound comes in right after a shifty breakdown at 3:44 and brings the track from sadness into hopefullness, and kind of toes back and forth over that line for the remainder of the track.

Pencha has always been a top 5 track for me, so it's kind of strange I don't listen to this EP very often. I love how this track is structured around a slow creeping sinister melody that fully reveals itself in the bassline starting at 2:55. This core melody was broken into chunks, and systematically re-arranged to create the intro melody so that it dances around the core melody without ever getting too close to it. The breakdown is a holy fucking jizz in my pants moment for me, it totally glitches out and slows down and becomes a beat again without you noticing. The beat that hits is so satisfying and then the rapid-fire squeaky clicky noises fall in quickly afterwards to totally take the track into hyperdrive. I don't really remember how I first perceived it but I imagine it's one of those tracks that only makes sense after a couple of listens because of the intertwining of complementary components.

Characi is a very strange track, even for Autechre. It kind of appears to be slowing down and speeding up randomly, although at around 30 seconds in, the classic Ae ticker comes in to hold the timing all together and the track begins to make sense. I've never really been a huge fan of this track although it's quite entertaining, also it took me a while to notice that all of the whizzing and buzzing and crazy random noise is actually synchronized perfectly with the beat, which makes this track alot more fluent once you notice it.

Krib is a beautifully crafted work of dichotomy. It somehow blends a cold and depressing bassline with a complex arrangement of the most beautifully loving and cheerful melodies to seamlessly make a paradoxically-charged track that still has complete semblance and coherency, which in retrospect is sort of a core feature to alot of Autechre's melodies: the whole feeling of despair but hopefulness, that melancholy-but-not-quite-melancholy feeling. Not only that but the marble drop sound being chopped up to fit with the beat, my god it just all fits together so fucking perfectly. When the secondary melody kicks in at around 2:06 it is one of the most emotionally moving Autechre moments, Period.

Tilapia is your typical sliced up beat madness track. It's not that I don't like it because its alot of fun and I never skip it but it just blends in a little too much when all of the other tracks on the album have extremely unique features. It is a good transition to LP5 though as the melody begins to lead into that sort of sound towards the end.

Well that's all I have to say about Cichlisuite, I was going to do LP5 but more came out of me than I was expecting so I'll do that tomorrow. Cheers :cisfor:

Archived