IGNORED

What do you listen to when you are depressed?

Guest placidburp

Yeah, in a sense that's true. Get to the bottom of why you're feeling that way, and maybe act on it, rather than pretend they don't exist. However, one way to get over depression is to not think about it and move on with your life. In other words, get out of the funk and try to keep your spirits up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll usually listen to depressing and/or aggressive in some way. Emotional hardcore. Like right now. Boilermaker. And I just got back from seeing Sunny Day Real Estate.

I wish I was one of those people that would put on something upbeat when I felt depressed, so I could get out of the funk faster.

i actually read an article a while ago about how this journalist decided to only listen to black/death metal in order to beat the depression he had in getting laid off from his job.

it's a good read and might help: http://happydays.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/dance-with-the-devil/

Last time I found music didn't help at all, which surprised me considering how much of my time I invest in it. It either exacerbates the mood through being too close to it, feels meaningless because it's too abstracted or I'm too self-conscious that I'm trying to either distract myself or find something to relate to and the whole thing feels too false. So I'm going to try and ride out depressive moods in silence from now on.

I haven't been properly depressed in a while now. That kind of frustrating depression that sometimes hits you when something dissapointing happens... usually I listen to Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer, it's harsh and noisy enough to be cathartic, but cos it's so zanny and weird it makes me smile as well, so it's like "AAARGH I'M ANGRY!" and then eventually I forget what I was angry about and I'm like "WOOOOO YEAH!"

But obviously I can't have suffered any sadness that's particularly crushing if it takes less than an hour's worth of noise rock to take me out of it.

If I remember right the last times I was actually depressed I didn't feel like listening to music at all, it all seems boring.

Last time I was really depressed I listened to a lot of Sufjan Stevens, especially the album Seven Swans. Not sure why. I still love that album!

edit: I also remembered that every other song on his Welcome to Michigan! album is hella depressing but still great. I really fell in love with 1,3,5,7, etc on that album... I think it's becuase while they are sad they are very realistic and true stories. damn I need to get that album back onto my minidisc player for bus and bike rides.

AND THIS from Illinos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdfiXdrmXA8

if i'm depressed and want to wallow in it for a while i'll put on late talk talk or sigur ros, or something a bit more rocky like silversun pickups. but if i want to cheer myself up, the sure fire winner is discipline by king crimson - it's just got such a great mood to it - not necessarily uplifting but it's my version of party music i guess.

first that comes to mind would be goodbye goodbye by mr paradinas or stuff like autechres vletrmx21, but on second thought that is music that I listen to when I'm feeling somewhat detatched from what surrounds me for the moment, and the feel of "just me" perhaps. And that would account for more moods than just being depressed.

Tho last time things were fucked up, ane brun and yo la tengo saved me once again

Archived