IGNORED

bored of autechre?

YEK

thehauntingsoul is gonna have a heart attack

irl fucking lol its exactly what I was thinking until I got to your post.

First off I wanna say that it has been stated by Ae that they don't try to push any boundaries or make music that's inherently weird. They make what sounds good to them, and it just so happens that their musical taste is evolving at a rate that many people find uncomfortable. As they have stated before "If you don't like it, you're missing the point". That's fairly verbatim to what they said. I totally agree, as there is not a single Ae song that turns me off, or bores me. If you honestly think the new music is garbage, just use shameless fanboys like me as an example to prove that, at the very least, there is some serious QUALITY buried underneath all of the puzzles and if even a small handful of people can be such die-hard fans of it, then clearly the music isn't garbage, just not your preference.

If anything, I would get bored of autechre if they tried to stick to some status quo and release stuff that they could feel comfortable knowing the majority of their fans will enjoy. Personally, if I hear a new Ae cd that doesn't make me go "wtf are these maniacs doing?" on first listen, then there is not much to discover buried in amongst the intricate patterns. A HUUUGE part of what makes Autechre such quality music is the fact that you have to listen over and over to put the pieces together. This is not instant satisfaction music. This is not easy flowing or inherently pleasurable music. This is a deep, dark, mechanical nightmare of a puzzle. If you think that sounds negative, think of it like this. Ae is to other music as horror/thriller films are to action films: Yes you are going to feel uncomfortable and uneasy, but that's the point. Just because a work of art is not surrounded in euphoric vibes does not by any stretch mean it is disqualified from being genius art.

Think of their music like a really deep joke. If you don't get it, you won't enjoy it to any degree and it means you just need to think harder. Once you get it and it 'clicks' in your brain, that's when the floodgates of emotion are opened and you get to fully experience what the music is all about. For YOUR own sake, don't deprive yourself of that flood by writing the music off as garbled, inane, or random, but take note at what alot of us fanboys are saying and try to see the music from our perspective.

You all know I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that for now.

Guest Calx Sherbet

bloody hell, somethin.

@hauntingsoul - i think a lot of ae music NEEDS to be heard more than once. it's like with movies that need to be watched again. the seond time through, you are more aware of the situation and the plot unfolding, so you don't pay as much attention to that and you start noticing other things. Things that you didn't catch at first, because of higher priority distractions, like following the story. some ae music could be the same. it sounds like it makes more sense when you hear it again. Untilted needed multiple listens for me to like it

I guess i'm a pre-confield ae fan. I admire confield and everything they've done since (though I think they seem to be drawing from a shallower well of inspiration now than before), but I think Quaristice was pretty boring no matter how you slice it, full of ae on autopilot and half-born musical ideas arranged pretty randomly. I'll continue to download whatever they release, but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit. Guess I feel similarly about BoC, Aphex, etc.

I've yet to grow bored of any of Autechre's releases. I just listen to other stuff, come back to Æ, make my rounds again, etc.

I'm somewhat opposite of lumpenprol though, I generally like the post Confield stuff more for its mechanical sounds.

I personally feel that every release of Ae has been incrementally better than the last. I am almost tempted to say I could rank them in personal preference order in accordance with their position in the chronology, with Quaristice being the best yet.

Guest Enter a new display name

I personally feel that every release of Ae has been incrementally better than the last. I am almost tempted to say I could rank them in personal preference order in accordance with their position in the chronology, with Quaristice being the best yet.

You know I appreciate you as a person, Dan (if you allow me calling you so on the forum), but I think you let your fanboyism talking instead of your rationality in this thread. How can one possible think that Autechre never made a song remotely bad, and that all their studio albums are completely flawless? Your opinion sounds nonsensical to me, that's what I think. I hope someday you'll move on and laugh with us at your previous posts...

You know I appreciate you as a person, Dan (if you allow me calling you so on the forum), but I think you let your fanboyism talking instead of your rationality in this thread. How can one possible think that Autechre never made a song remotely bad, and that all their studio albums are completely flawless? Your opinion sounds nonsensical to me, that's what I think. I hope someday you'll move on and laugh with us at your previous posts...

I'm not just being a fanboy for the sake of it, I honestly love every Ae track for what they each are. There are a few that I wouldn't pick to randomly listen to but there are none I need to force myself to listen to.

sometimes when I have heard autechre a lot recently I take a break.. but then when I come back to them, my mind is blown all over again!

Untilted is pretty accessible I think.

i love Untilted, but i would hardly call it accessible.

i had an old girlfriend who nearly opened the door of

her car kicked me out and threw the cd after me when i tried to put it on.

she was excessively inaccessible and accessible at the same time LOL

to most layman Untilted is a bit hard to decipher i would guess.

for me it's sheer brilliance

ae.png

Archived