IGNORED

Do you guys like toasties?

perunamuusi

Guest Coalbucket PI

Every year I've been to Glade there's been an orange toastie van and sweet jesus I can't get enough of their cheese and bacon toasties. I fucking LOVE toasties.

Haha, I remember that place now. They are awesome toasties, it's true.

I might have had a toastie there. The one I went to had a little production line going and one guy was on butter duty and he had an amazing buttering contraptions where he kind of shoved the bread through a set of rollers which had butter on them or something, it was fantastic

ogyri.png

Fucking LOL - I remember that! I just reinstalled MK II for the PS3 last night, as a matter of coincidence!

I've only recently exchanged the patented toastie-makers for George Foreman grills.

The toasties are understandbly less sealed around the edges, but much crisper and tastier.

They have George Foreman grills in the UK? And yes, you're right - they make much better Paninis and toasted sandwiches.

Here's my recipe for Italian Chicken Paninis:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Italian seasoning (the McCormack or Lawry's brand are fine)

Sliced Sourdough bread

butter (melt about 1/2 to 3/4 stick in a dish on the stovetop

Olive pesto (any brand will do)

1 jar roasted red peppers (you can do your own, but easier to buy)

1 package of thinly sliced Provalone cheese

Pre-heat your Foreman grill, and while it is heating up, slice the chicken breasts in halt horizontally (butterfly), and then put them in a thick plastic bag (season liberally with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper if the seasoning has no salt) and use the flat side of a tenderizing mallet or, if lacking one, use any heavy large (non textured) object to pound the breasts thin. The breasts should be almost double their original size once flattened. Take the flattened breasts and grill on the grill until cooked and nice grill lines appear. Set cooked breasts aside on a chopping board/block and unplug grill, wipe down and once ready plug in and re-heat.

Melt the 1/2 to 3/4 stick of butter on the stovetop in a dish, making sure it doesn't burn, and lightly toast the sourdough bread in a toaster or toaster oven, but don't overtoast - they should be just slightly crispy to the touch and hardly browned. Once all the bread is toasted, slice the cooked chicken breasts into strips and set aside, and use a barbecue brush or a clean paint brush to brush one side of the toasted bread with the melted butter. Once all toasted bread is buttered, then begin to assemble the sandwiches by putting a thin spread of pesto on the inside of the bread (the non-buttered side), then a few slices of roasted red peppers (if from a jar, drain and pat dry on a paper towel beforehand), and then a few slices of chicken breast, topped with a few slices of Provalone cheese. Add the sandwich top, and repeat until you have enough snadwiches to fill your grill. Set the sandwiches on the grill, and close the lid and press down firmly and evenly on the upper part of the grill (if the grill doesn't have a lid handle, use a towel or oven mits to protect your hands from the heat on the top when pressing down). Grill for approx. 3-4 minutes, checking to see if bread is browned and nice grill lines appear. Once cooked, remove and enjoy!

Every year I've been to Glade there's been an orange toastie van and sweet jesus I can't get enough of their cheese and bacon toasties. I fucking LOVE toasties.

Haha, I remember that place now. They are awesome toasties, it's true.

I might have had a toastie there. The one I went to had a little production line going and one guy was on butter duty and he had an amazing buttering contraptions where he kind of shoved the bread through a set of rollers which had butter on them or something, it was fantastic

I want one of those bread butterers for my house.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

ogyri.png

Eagerly awaits the arrival of Liu Kang Baking a Pie

TOASTY!!!! If I looked around it wasn't liu kang who did the pie bake friendship finisher.. it was katana, with a cake.. with a candlestick, in the library

Guest Deep Fried Everything

LOVE THEM

on a trip to the greek isles a few years back (they were called simply "toast" there) these were clutch at SO many different points as the food was spotty in a lot of places but you could always rely on good cheap toast.

+tomato soup

cheese--ham-toasties-kids.jpg

Cheese and Ham is hard to beat i reckon

what about Brevilles?

tostiijzer_2.png

YUUUUUUUM!!!

I love pretty much anything with cheese. I'm not really a big fan of ham (not to mention I don't really eat a lot of meat anyway) but other awesome things to put in a toastie:

Fried mushrooms and red onion

Pesto and grilled red capsicum

Also... The perfect way to make a toastie, which I think works better than any sandwhich press is to just put it in a pan. To flatten it you can stick a sheet of foil on top and put a heavy pot on it.

• 2 weeks later...

olive tapenade, man i fuckin LOVE that shit!

way to gay up the macho toastie thread encey!

hah was gonna say the word toastie doesn't need any help in that category.

that said i QUITE ENJOY THEM. i fucking hate pickles. ham + cheese + sundried tomato. I CAME>

i wish dumb new york fags here called these sandwiches "toasties" instead of paninis; that would take the wind out of many arrogant sails.

Guest esquimaw

Toasties are amazing.

Cheese and ham is of course a (hot) stone cold classic. Adding tomato or onion to this combination only improves the situation. People have often recommended cheese and baked beans to me, but I've not gone there yet. Do you heat the beans first? Surely it'll just go everywhere? Sounds dangerous.

This much I do know - left over Chill con Carne and cheddar makes an amazing toastie.

..And for all of you herbal smokers out there.. or those with a sweet tooth.. (or both): Chop a Mars bar into slices, put in toastie. Holy god. Also works well with a pack of Rolos. This can also work well with crunchy peanut butter and jam. Let it cool down first though.

Archived