IGNORED

Mouse On Mars - Parastrophics

plstik

I think it lacks of some "hit" tracks that stand out.

I think this could be said of all MoM albums, to some extent. (Well, Radical Connector had Wipe That Sound — which, by the way, is not the best track there. And really, Polaroyced and/or Chordblocker fulfill that role on Parastrophics.)

I find that "hit tracks" usually end up souring in my mind after about a week, sometimes to the point of ruining an entire album. (Much creativity is marred by the Drive to Construct The Hit Track.) Mouse on Mars albums are very dense assemblages of sound, and really have to be understood as albums.

I fully agree.

Parastrophics is to MoM as Cosmogramma is to Flying Lotus.

It's meant to be listened through. That being said, I think Polaroyced and Chordblocker or even They Know Your Name are easily the "hits".

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble I'm having is that this album starts off with a bang with Beach Stop/Chordblocker/Metrotopy but, for me, there is this sagging "middle" that isn't well defined or engaging. Then Baku Hipster and Seaqz at the end knock my socks off. Today, I plan to listen more closely to the "middle" to see what I can see. Really good album though.

I've heard a few others say the same thing, but I think "They Know Your Name", "Syncropticians", "Polaroyced", and "Imatch" are incredible?!

Those constitute the middle I think.

Try listening after a few beers or a "smoke" if you're into that.

i have the same opinion but regarding the tracks specifically instead of the album as a whole, i think it lacks some objectivity in most tracks, i know MoM are like that, they even state on an interview that they might suffer from tourette syndrome when it comes to building a track... one might say that's a good thing but atm imo is a negative point :(

i love metrotopy too, the synths are classic mouse on mars.

syncropticians is my new favorite, such a great atmosphere in that track. i kind of wish there was more spacey downtempo stuff like that on the album, but i can't complain, i love what's there.

they know your name is still my least favorite but it's funky and the ending is definitely good.

i love this album. it only gets better and better with repeated listens. amazing how these tracks can seem so poppy at first, but reveal endless layers of atmosphere upon closer listening.

i love this album. it only gets better and better with repeated listens. amazing how these tracks can seem so poppy at first, but reveal endless layers of atmosphere upon closer listening.

This is far and away Mouse on Mars' superpower

ah, cool. i'd be interested in how MoM got wind of it, I can only conclude that they're directly in on the chicanery or have a bot scanning every youtube video for any trace instances of their recorded material.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest capitan mission

Ive listened it yesterday for the first time, this album is great!!! Really, they deserve much more attention

In fact, Im shocked that MoM doesnt have a subforum in WATMM

Ive listened it yesterday for the first time, this album is great!!! Really, they deserve much more attention

In fact, Im shocked that MoM doesnt have a subforum in WATMM

yeah its quite absurd. cylob and luke vibert have apparently contributed more to IDM than mouse on mars. go figure

Guest capitan mission

yeah its quite absurd. cylob and luke vibert have apparently contributed more to IDM than mouse on mars. go figure

jajaja

For all MOM nerds :)

Monkeytown will release a single from MOM backsided by Prefuse 73 for the Record Store Day 2012.

Don't know if you can grab it easily outside germany but it's only 12 €.

Just asked Kompakt for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived